“Very Impressive Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Furbo
Achill Island, Ireland
“Very Impressive Hotel”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in Hotel on 25 Sept. 2012 with a group of 20 active retired people. I had several calls to hotel with special requirements for our group and each was met with excellent attention. We had to make more changes when we booked in and nothing was too much trouble for Ann (Manager) and her staff. We were very impressed. All our rooms were brilliant, no complaints. The food was wonderful, the staff were very helpful in meeting all our needs. The hotel was warm (some of our group found it too warm during the night). The views are great from hotel. If I could change one thing it would be to install a lift to help senior citizens and family with small children to upper levels of hotel.
Would our group go back - most definitely, in fact the next day of our tour some of our group wanted a second night in hotel. Keep up the good work, we shall be returning for another visit.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms on ground floor (400+). The single rooms even had a double bed in them.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mary B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Reviewed September 26, 2012

While this hotel has amazing views & probably at one time was the top of the line. It's a far cry from 4 or 5 star today. The staff was friendly-we didn't have a bad experience with them personally. We did receive an upgraded room because of our honeymooners status. After taking a look at our bathroom, I'm afraid of what our original room would have looked like. Overall, it just appeared to be an older hotel with the normal wear & tear. When I stepped into the shower, hoping to wash away the grime of sight seeing all day, the feeling was the exact opposite. There were several globs of someone else's hair clung to the shower wall. I knew instantly it wasn't mine or my husbands. Gross! If it wasn't 10pm & I wasn't exhausted I would have called for maid service immediately. We kind of just let it go...checked the cleanliness of the sheets & towels before going to bed. To my surprise (& relief) they were clean. Let's move to the next morning to the continental breakfast...wow. My husband got his normal selection of cheese, meats & fruit salad. Here is where the majority of disgust lies...1. The cheese was molded. Very clearly molded. Easy enough for staff to see & toss out...nope. They served it anyways. 2. The fruit salad was BROWN! Meaning it was probably left over from yesterday morning. And they served it!! Yuck! 3. Lastly, I picked up a crescent...plain...easy enough, right?! Wrong! It was probably from the day before as well. Someone else may have had a fantastic experience here but it certainly was not us!! This is the 5th hotel we've stayed at since arriving in Ireland & 5th city. We were so excited to be staying right on the water! While the views are beautiful, the overall experience was not. At all.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank IrishNewlyweds091512
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel may be the # 1 in Furbo because it is the only one in Furbo. The view from the hotel is spectacular. The location -- near enough to Galway to enjoy the nightlife, far enough away to get a headstart on touring Connemara -- is excellent. The staff was warm, welcoming, and helpful. The breakfast was adequate, but the orange juice tasted canned.

The problem with this property is that it is very, very shabby. It's not just a paint job that will bring this hotel into the 21st century. While the bedding was OK, the bathroom was tiny, the bedroom chairs were uncomfortable, the "closet" consisted of two cubbies with built in hangers, the television set was outdated, and the internet service was terrible. It did not work at all in our room and only worked intermittantly in any of the lobbies. The room temperature was virtually unadjustable.

The hotel has potential, but it is long past its prime, and I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ed1815
Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just spent the weekend in this wonderful hotel, not my first stay and certainly not my last.
We had a large party (90+) of senior citizens on our Lions Club (Dundalk) annual tour, with not one complaint from anyone in the group, the hotel has a warm, comfortable and home'ly feel about it which is brought about in no small way by the excellent, happy, caring staff at all levels including the manager Ann Downey who never seems to sleep. The sea views and the mountains of Clare in the background are fabulous, the food was 5 star with some thing for everyone. I often leave hotels with thoughts of what I might change if it were mine, with this one my only thought is when will I return, well done Connemara Coast, keep it up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Seamus G
Harvey016
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Again we booked this Hotel over the phone while on a trip around Ireland, the rooms in the old part of the hotel are very dated and in my opinion while fit for purpose, would really benefit from an update. A walk around the Hotel grounds further shows that this hotel has not been updated in a quite a time which is sad because the views and scenery are amazing! We had food in the adjoining bar, our food was quite tasty but the childrens meals were extremely poor, we had to return our childs portion of fishfinger and chips and exchange for chicken goujons as the fishfingers seemed to be void of real fish. All in all an average experience and another example of 4 stars being given when when 3 stars would be totally sufficient and maybe a bit generous!
I've just recalled that the receptionist informed me after seeing my room that the new part of the hotel did not permit children, if this is company policy and you are travelling with your young family avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Select a room in the newer part of the Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Harvey016
St. John's, Antigua
Reviewed September 4, 2012

As a solo traveller I have at some hotels been treated as a second class citizen but at this hotel I was treated so well that I really wanted to document this.
The staff at all levels were excellent.....nothing was too much trouble even when the hotel was busy.
My room was extremely comfortable and well serviced
The food was first class beautifully presented, and the staff were always on hand and extremely efficient in service. Managers were always on hand to ensure that level of service.
Great team work and congratulations to all
Grateful thanks from a happy customer!
I will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank annge217
Dublin
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent one night at the hotel and thought it was ok, but nothing more than that. The service was friendly if a little slow in the restaurant. The room was fine but was not 4-star - the decor was ok but the room, and much of the hotel, needs attention. The windows were in a bad state, and I understand that it is not a new hotel, but I have stayed in considerably older ones that were in better condition. The bathroom again was not a 4-star one by any stretch of the imagination. We used the pool which was fine but the changing rooms needed attention. We ate in the restaurant which was actually really nice. Breakfast the next day was a bit disappointing as the poached eggs were very watery and were on top of the toast so it was all a bit mushy. The views are really nice from the rooms but the one we were in also looked over the gardens. Unfortunately that meant that people in the garden could see into our room, adn the noise of people outside at night and early in the morning carried into our room. Overall it was ok. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the public areas of the hotel are better than the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MillicentDDublin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furbo
The Twelve Hotel
#4 of 45 in Galway
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!