“Over Rated”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bushypark
ireland
“Over Rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

I stayed in Glenlo Abbey with a group of friends, the package for 2 nights cost €269 for 2 nights B&B and one dinner in the Pullman Restaurant. I dont know where it gets its 5 star status as it is not that amazing. For that price i was expecting a four poster bed, instead my friend and myself got 2 single beds in an average sized bedroom. The location is miles out of Galway, there is nothing to do there if you are not into Golf or fishing, there are no facilities ie Swimming, Spa, Gym etc, thought you needed these to get 5 star status. The meal you get that is included is a set menu with the usual Chicken, Beef or Salmon Choice and not enough veg served with it either!! Then to top it all off i left my coat behind and when i rang up about it and asked them to post it to me, they wanted my credit card details to cover the €7.00 postage, not the kind of customer service i was expecting from a so called 5 star hotel and for young, single girls, it is a bit of a dull location!! i wouldnt rcommend it, spend your money on the Radisson in Galway City Centre which has a spa, bigger rooms, better location etc and is cheaper!!

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — it was too expensive for what you got!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Spend your money on a city centre hotel that has facilities!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank klair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
Wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2006

Glenlo Abbey has an understated charm about it. Service is excellent with friendly staff who went out of their way to help. Our bedroom was large, with a nice marble bathroom. On the downside, the bar is a little lacking in atmosphere and cosiness (it could do with an open fire). The jewel in the hotel's crown is the Pullman restaurant (two beautiful carriages from the Orient Express), which is really atmospheric and perfect for a romatic meal with a twist - it really is unique. The main dining room has excellent views. Overall, we really enjoyed our weekend, and plan a return trip soon.

• Liked — Pullman Restaurant
  • Disliked — Lack of atmosphere in Cellar bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Can offer excellent value if you pick your time carefully
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BrianGill
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2006

We were just a bunch of college kids who formed a "Cosmopolitan Club" or culture club just so we could raise money for a trip to Europe. A bit of a sham, but the best thing I've ever done! We had the time of our lives! For the life of me, I don't know how we managed to afford to stay at Glenlo, but it was off season so maybe that was it.

We were supposed to stay at some hotel in Galway proper, but it was St. Patrick's Day and the hotel gave our room away before we got there. We raised the duce and told them they better find us a place where we wouldn't have to pay any more money and we wound up at Glenlo Abbey. I'm so happy we did! We felt like millionaires!

I think the story is that the guy built the abbey for his invalid wife and she died the day it was completed and never got to see the inside. Very tragical.

Fun stuff to do:
Have a luxurious dessert in the Oriental Express car
Wander around the grounds in the dark with a flashlight--spooky!
Go into the little basement pub thingy. Very cozy

• Liked — Stunning scenery and accommodations
  • Disliked — Only stayed one night!
  • Tips/Secrets — It is so worth the money! Men, spoil your ladies with a trip here!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank hipworldtraveler
Boston, Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2006

I recently attended a conference held over 3 days at the Glenlo Abbey Hotel and I have only good things to say about the whole experience. All the required facilities for our conference were laid on - including wireless network connection in the comfortable conference room. However, the really memorable experience for me and my colleagues of the Glenlo Abbey is in the quality of the food, which was superb, and the warm and efficient service in all aspects (room, bar, restaurant) which was nothing short of excellent. The atmosphere of the "campus" is very peaceful and relaxing and with Galway centre just a 20 minute drive it is an ideal spot to stay.

2 Thank DMCDAID
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2006

I stayed in Glenlo with my girlfriend for a romantic weekend away in May of this year and found it to meet expectations in almost every way, indeed the Pullman restaurant exceeded them. This is a restaurant on board an old Orient Express Carriage and was very intimate.
With my job I have the privelege to stay in many 5* establishments and its nice to see one that lives up to its status, as so many others do not.
I highly reccomend it for anyone looking for a bit of class in Galway.

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

May 8 2006

If You ever go across the sea to Ireland, and plan to see Galway Bay, and are looking for a Wonderfull place to stay,Then try the Glenlo Abbey Hotel located in Bushypark Galway.
I and my wife have stayed at many Hotels, Motels, B&B etc. And have Never been Impressed or Moved enough to write a review or to praise our experiance there, But thats what this was "A Truly Wonderfull Experiance" One that will be remembered and talked about for years to come. The accommodations where far beyond our expectations, Deluxe but not gaudy, comfortable roomy and pleasant in every way, the delightfull nuance's such as fresh flowers and fruit on a irish lace topped table for two, the Bed Turn down service in the evening (done magically while your away from the room), the heated towels and white terry bathrobes to top off an evening or morning shower, all added to the sense of well being.
I cannot write this without the utmost praise for the Staff, Undoubtably the warmest friendliest and attentive that I have experianced anywhere (Not a bitter soul in the Bunch) Always asking if things were up to standard, always checking to see if any additional needs were neccessary, and always displaying a genuine concern for their guests, quite refreshing compared to some places I have stayed.
Even the dining was a unique experiance in that one of their restaurants consists of two dining cars from the orient express (I would estimate Circa 1930-1940) which provided an atmosphere of days gone by, we found the food and the service to be, in our opinion excelent. And to top off the day and perhaps have night cap, they have a comfortable, charming Pub on the premises.
All in all it was the most delightefull and pleasant stay we have experianced in our lifetime.
It was truly our "Camelot" for a short period of time.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

Stayed there for St. Patrick's Weekend and could not find fault. The staff were friendly, the rooms were well decorated, comfortable and clean. The general setting of the hotel was beautiful, along side the river that flows into Galway. I would recommend walking along by the river and back into the bar for some home made soup and sandwiches. Had an evening meal in the Pullman restaurant on one of the evenings, these are carriages from the orient express located on the grounds of the hotel and turned into a restaurant. Food/restaurant was top class. The only negative I would have is the hotel is about 3 miles from the city centre if you want to experience the night life.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushypark
Park House Hotel
Jurys Inn Galway
Jurys Inn Galway
#9 of 46 in Galway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,704 reviews

Been to Glenlo Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!