“Good value”

and 1 more site!
Sandgate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandgate
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed here for two nights over Easter weekend. Having read a lot of the reviews, we felt a bit nervous when we arrived. However our room was clean/cosy, there was a nice selection of teas in the room, bottled water, clean towels, the breakfast was delicious and staff were pleasant. In addition, the location is great as it's right on the seafront.

The only downside was the bathroom, as the plumbing was pretty dodgy and the toilet did not flush very well.

I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget with modest expectations!

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a sea-view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed in the room with balcony. Wonderful view of sea while laying in bed and sitting outside. Food was good standard and the staff were friendly and helpful.

A higher rating would be easily achieved if bed had a new mattress and the room given a simple makeover. This hotel has great potential but needs investment in the fabric - the people running/staffing it are great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We have often called here for drinks on the terrace when staying in Hythe. The sea view is breathtaking, despite the very busy road below. With rooms at just £40 a night we decided to take our weekend break here for a change. We had the last room - no 12 - at the top back.

When I stepped inside first impressions were great - it was spacious, modern, and airy, with plenty of storage and a large bathroom with both bath and shower. No sea view but the advantage of being quiet, away from the road. We were then shocked to see that the once pristine white duvet had a large yellow stain like a coffee blob. The pillow cases were also very yellowed and the sheet was stained. They didn't seem dirty but I wouldn't use bedding like this at home and didn't expect it here. The carpet was also stained and grubby looking. Later we found stains on the white coffee cups and breakfast cutlery.

Further indications that something was amiss was when we looked out the back window. The little garden terrace that seemed to have once been nicely planted was overgrown with TWO Christmas trees thrown over it - one very dead. Don't they realise what sort of impression this gives? The staff themselves were very friendly and nice but I have to say that the breakfasts were the worst two I've ever had - and I'm not fussy and never complain. The buffet part was the smallest I've ever seen - just two types of cereals and two juices but that was fine and they were branded cereals in boxes.The hot food was selected from a menu and I opted for a scrambled egg and smoked salmon bagel. It was OK but the egg was sloppy and tasteless and didn't seem real - powdered or liquid??? The next morning I just ordered toast. It came already buttered and the butter was either rancid or - as I believe - the toast had been reheated with the butter already on. It tasted vile. Ask for your butter separately! The breakfasts put us off having an evening meal here.

There always used to be plenty of parking right outside the hotel but many of the properties have been done up and let or sold so parking seems to have become a problem. We did find a space about 5 mins walk from the hotel but think there will be problems in the summer now. The road is very busy and speeding is an issue. I had just got out of the car in the road side and shut my door when a car came speeding up the road. I only had time to flatten myself against the car as it whizzed by with inches to spare. Quite frightening. The council needs to address this and put in crossings as this road felt dangerous.

Would we stay here again - well, maybe if it was cheap and there was nowhere else as we do love Hythe - but I'd have to skip breakfast. I don't know what is going on but it feels as if the original proud owners have moved out and left the hotel in the hands of someone who just doesn't care and that it has been steadily declining due to a lack of upkeep.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julesparkler
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed this week end, Pre booked a couple of weeks ago for £40.00, including breakfast. Great location, room was good and no issues, really friendly staff, just needs a little bit of money spent on it, would recommend. Could easily charge more.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kilby4065
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. We paid £35 for a night. The room was a good size, bed was comfortable. It was clean but does need a bit of tlc . Couple of tiles coming off the floor etc. However, it had everything we needed, staff we really friendly and the breakfast was amazing. For the price we can't complain. Would defiantly stay again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank suzi32
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were just travelling back from France and stopped one night. Pleasantly impressed with location, right across road from pebble beach (being re-pebbled by Folkestone council). Very good value overlooking sea with a small balcony. Comfy night. Very good breakfast (I had proper kipper with 2 perfectly poached eggs).

On the negative side, there were a couple of niggly maintenance jobs that needed doing; hence only 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at the sandgate hotel last Saturday night for one night, and this was more than enough! Our hotel room was very tired, broken bathroom floor tiles, missing tops off the taps, dirty pillow cases, filthy bath mat, threadbare towels, with holes and frayed edges. Amenities in the room are very basic, tea and coffee, two bottles of water, teeny tv, hair dryer, and two teeny bootles of toiletries, and a small bar of soap.

For Breakfast there was a fair choice of food, hubby had the full English, I ordered beans on toast. Mine came out like a cold congealed lump on barely toasted bread - yuk! Hubby said his wasn't much better. It was whilst we were at breakfast that the chef wandered out - his 'whites' looked like they hadn't seen a washing machine in a month - I wouldn't have used them to wash my floor they were that dirty and grey - disgusting.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
#2 of 10 in Folkestone
The Southcliff
The Southcliff
#7 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Sandgate Hotel? Share your experiences!