“Fantastic Service,Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandgate
Kent
“Fantastic Service,Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

I first went to the Sandgate early in 2006, I was very impressed with how clean the hotel was, the staff are fantastic and the Hotel Manager welcomed us and served us a drink to welcome us on our arrival! We were then showed to our room which had a lovely balcony that looked straight out over the sea. We has dinner at the hotel that night which was a really good meal and a lovely bottle of wine. When we went back up to our rooms they had been 'turned down' the lights dimmed. covers folded and little chocolates on the bed! (im easily pleased!!) I went back again in the summer and enjoyed another fantastic stay and great lucnh on the sunny terrace. The hotel manager Rebecca is so helpful and I decided that I would hold my work Christmas party there. I couldn't have asked for more help in organising it, not only a discounted rate but also great food, great service. All in all a fantastic place, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Liked — Great room, great service
  • Disliked — nothing bad to say!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

Stayed at The Sandgate while down in Kent for a family birthday and really liked the place. Was recommended to stay here by a friend who said it was quite a cool boutique style hotel. The decor is really nice (wallpaper especially), the rooms are not massive but ours had a balcony with a sea view which is gorgeous. Ate there only on one night but thought it was good value and well cooked, also nice selection of wines. Other reviews here suggest the staff can be a bit surly but they couldn't do enough to help us, A+ service from start to finish and I'd thoroughly recommend the place, especially for younger couples looking for a weekend away.

• Liked — Sea views, funky decor, nice staff
  • Disliked — Thought was all good actually
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

Having read a number of reviews for the Sandgate I felt it was only fair to add my own comments about my experiences there!

I have stayed at the Sandgate a number or times and always found the Staff more than helpful...in fact it is one of the reasons I keep going back!

There are many regulars who drink, stay or dine at The Sandgate and find the place more than satisfactory.

Although I will admit the rooms can be on the small side...this is not really the fault of the hotel.... (As it was built along time ago) and if walls and such started getting knocked down surely that would spoil the charm of the place!

Well done The Sandgate! For being a hard working independent business, who has managed to keep it’s doors open through the worst summer last year and this winters slump while many other Kent hotels have had to close!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

We visited the Sandgate hotel for the evening in early Feb this year and were appalled at the attitude of the staff. We entered as a group of 8 (4 couples) with the view to spending the evening in what had been described as fashionable surroundings. The evening was spoilt as one of our group, when asking for a Bar Menu with a view to buying cocktails for the group, was told that there is no need for a bar menu as the have a full bar. He tried to explain that we'd like to see the cocktails on offer, i.e. to browse. Upon relaying the lady's response to our group, the bar lady shouted out that "we can all hear you sir no need to tell the whole bar!" Extremely rude.

We will not be returning to eat/drink/stay.

Having read the other reviews of the service at this place - I advise you to avoid the place.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank OzWillyFog

Travelers are raving about these Sandgate hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2007

We have recently returned from a one night stay at the Sandgate Hotel. The hotel is remarkable and the service we received was incredible.
There were a party of us staying there for the first time . My partner was having his Xmas party at a place i think was called Vasa? very nice venue..
The overall style and cleanliness is of top quality.
I felt such a lovley vibe a bit like home from home.
I do travel a lot on my own and being a women i would feel really comfortable staying there on my own.
I have worked in the hotel industry now for over 10years and i must say that the the Sandgate is definitely on my top 10 list.
Overall i would recommend you stay at the Sandgate you will not regret it!

On behalf of myself and the rest of the group we would like to say a big thanks to all the staff at the Sandgate for such a lovley and pleasent stay.

Stayed November 2007
Surrey England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

Stayed her for one Saturday night. We had a room at the front of the hotel, which has lovely sea views. The rooms are a bit pokey but quite nice and all with modern decor. If I was being picky, the design layout was poor and both the room and bathroom would have benefitted from more space if some thought had gone into where the radiators were placed.
The problem with the rooms at the front is the noise. Mainly traffic but also a bit of shouting and carrying on.
Breakfast in the morning was pretty poor. The service was bad. There seemed to be at least three staff serving about 20 people, but they were just not organised and we waited ages for coffee and then had to wait for milk, pepper, water and so on. When the cooked breakfast came, it was disappointing. Eggs either overcooked or undercooked. Bacon all undercooked. Sausages all burnt. Need to do better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Silverpablito
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

We booked this hotel as it looked great from the reviews and planned to use it for a seaside getaway!

The hotel is really lovely and has been decorated with a very chic touch. However, the organisation and general level of service is really bad. We arrived at 4.30pm hoping to check - in straight away in order to get ready for a night out with my brother and his girlfriend. At this point we were told that our room would not be ready as they were busy!!! We were given a small single room (cupboard!) for the 4 of us to get ready in, we are a close family but not that close.

We were finally provided with a room and suprise suprise they tried to put all 4 of us in together, even though we booked 2 double rooms. It took another heated discussion for us to finally get everything sorted and be put in separate rooms.

It is a shame that the organisation of this hotel let it down, as it is a great find on the coast and has gorgeous views of the sea.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ProKiter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
Burlington Hotel
#5 of 10 in Folkestone
Seabrook House
Seabrook House
#3 of 3 in Hythe

Been to Sandgate Hotel? Share your experiences!