“Ship Inn Restaurent”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked the Restaurent at the Ship Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary , and because it was only one of a few local restaurants open on a Monday night, which was the exact date of our anniversary.
We were not disappointed , as the menu was very good , and not too extensive . We found the Restaurent to be almost full, which says a lot for its popularity, to be that busy on a Monday .The Ship Inn is in a quaint little spot in Sandgate , and overlooks the English Channel .
The waitresses were very attentive , without being overbearing , the food was very well presented , and of a good quality.The wine list was very good ,with prices to suit all budgets .By local standards the menu prices were a bit pricey, but very good quality food , and we will certainly eat at the Ship Inn again , in the near future.
All in all , our visit was a very good experience .

1  Thank POTSY2910

Reviewed June 1, 2013

had a really lovely lunch in this pub, the service was fantastic, the atmosphere was relaxed yet warm,, we both orderd the same dish, which was quickly served,,, and very enjoyable, will be telling everyone to eat here

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We tried the Ship for our 35th wedding anniversary last Saturday. We were given a table facing the sea and that was the best part of the evening.
I ordered the crab and prawn "Tian", when served it was so cold as to be utterly tasteless so I ate slowly hoping it would improve, but no such luck.
Our plates were removed with no enquiry as to whether we had enjoyed the food so I didn't say anything hoping for better luck with the main course.
I ordered a stuffed chicken breast but when it was served there was no trace of the stuffing. On querying this the waitress said it was her fault as the chicken wasn't stuffed that night but pan fried and I could have something else if I wanted. I declined as my husband had already been served his fish eating as a relay did not appeal.
Again the chicken had very little flavour and showed no colour from having been near a pan, it was served with 3 pieces of asparagus of varying size which had obviously all been cooked for the same length of time as they got harder as they increased in size and some orangey coloured things that looked like fish fingers, but obviously weren't and were in fact the tastiest thing on the plate. The plate was then filled by sauces of mustard and dark green colours. It was all so disappointing and I just couldn't eat much of it.
A young waitress came to clear our plates and did ask how things were. When I explained my dissatisfaction she actually laughed, (nerves I think, but not what you would expect). She said she would inform the chef of this. Another waitress came and immediately said that the Tian wasn't frozen, no-one had suggested that that it was but every recipe I have seen suggests that it should be assembled then served immediately. This obviously hadn't been the case and in my opinion if you can't serve it correctly then you shouldn't have it on your menu.
We were offered desserts but by this time just wanted to leave so asked for the bill. When it came it was for the full amount, which we declined to pay, and they did ten remove the cost of the chicken dish.
At no time was any apology offered and the experience spoiled what should have been a celebratory meal.
Overall , their menu is pretentious and more attention is given to arty presentation than the actual food being served.

3  Thank Julia W
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Popped in for lunch, doesn't look much from the outside but inside at the back lovely restaurant overlooking the sea, if the weathers good go outside upstairs and the views even better. Could the food match the view, 100% yes, my colleague had mussels for a main course, he raved about it, I just had ham,egg and chips, very very good and the wine, top notch. Well recommended!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

So - I walked into the (very quiet) bar one sunny Bank Holiday Monday with my 9 year old daughter, having arranged to meet some friends here. "Can I order bar snacks - and can we sit on the upstairs terrace?" I enquired. (Note the use of the word "we" - my daughter was standing next to me. "Yes" replied a harassed looking bar man - no idea why he was harassed as the bar was empty. He then proceeded to explain that bar snacks had to be ordered at the bar, whereas restaurant food could be ordered at the table - so far, so blah. I ordered our lunch and drinks, paid and went upstairs.
My daughter and I sat at a corner table enjoying sea views and sipping our drinks. A woman in an apron barged up the stairs and rudely informed me "kids aren't allowed up here". I explained that I had checked before I ordered food and been told it was ok. Snorting loudly, she went back down, only to be replaced by an even ruder woman who said we weren't allowed upstairs - but could have a table outside - next to the stinking bins and the busy main road. Tough decision... But I said No, I'll go somewhere else and headed to the bar for a refund for the food we hadn't had and the drinks we hadn't had time to drink. Cue rude bar man offering refunds for food only then treating me with disdain when I insisted that our drinks were still the upstairs table, barely touched.

Very disappointing. An ugly, unfriendly and smelly little place with sticky carpets, filthy toilets, a pretentious restaurant and a gang of Rottweiler-like snarling bar staff. Will I go back? Um.. No.

6  Thank JillyKT