“Nice friendly hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Nice friendly hotel”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and we were given a very large room number 9 which could be either a twin or a super king. It was very well furnished, with plenty of wardrobe space and drawers. There was a very good hospitality tray with not only tea and coffee but hot chocolate and ovaltine as well, and very tasty biscuits. The bathroom was huge but disappointing the shower was not very good, the curtain that went round the shower stuck to you, there was only a small rail that one towel could go on, but there were shower gels and shampoos which was a nice touch.

The hotel is very clean and in our room was a very nice carpet, the whole room looked like it had not long ago been refurbished.

Breakfast was amazing with everything from the full English to kippers (I had a kipper on both morning, can highly recommend if you like kippers) right through to pancakes and boiled eggs.

We did not eat dinner in the restaurant, but the menu looked good and on both nights there were plenty of people eating in both the restaurant and the bar area.

All the staff were very friendly and if in the area again would stay.

Room Tip: Room 9 is at the back so if you want a quiet room this is the one for you
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a last minute break away, everything about our stay was wonderful.
The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much for them getting us extra towels and fresh milk.
We had dinner within the restaurant ( I very much recommend the chicken with leeks and fennel!)
We will be returning in the winter, look forward to seeing the log fire roaring!

• Stayed September 2013
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This village inn - hardly a hotel - is ideally situated in the square in the ancient village of Lenham. I had booked online through the brewer's website. Included in 'the deal' was a three course meal from the a la carte menu for £22:50. After booking I telephoned to confirm that I would have two meals on separate days. No problem, just mention it when you arrive.

I arrived and parked and walked through to the reception. I was required to pay in full for my four nights bed and breakfast. I mentioned the 'dinner deal' and was told 'no problem - we usually just charge for what you have'. I asked for a table for one at 8.00pm.
{Please see my separate restaurant review}

My room had a large comfortable king size bed. The bathroom was well equipped and the supply of toiletries adequate for a four night stay. {just as well as they were never topped up}. After unpacking I went to use the internet using their cumbersome cloud set up. I went to switch on the desk lamp. No light. I traced the cable to the plug - no socket under or near the desk. The television and the wall fixture hair-dryer wires disappeared behind a chest of draws. Here there were two sockets - so you have a choice of two out of three and some exercise shifting furniture.

Unfortunately the overhead light consisted of a three spot unit. The spot aimed at the desk had blown. Poor house keeping.

The room is comfortable but drab. There is a chair at the desk and a carver style chair which is fine for the small amount of time one normally spends in an hotel room. The TV is of decent size. But the walls and furnishing for an old English inn were just plain and boring.

The windows are not double glazed Below the bedroom was a courtyard for smokers and drinkers. Noise from below was easily heard. This was not a major problem for me but anyone who wanted an early night - before 11:30 pm would be disturbed.

The room walls are thin and conversation and/or your neighbours television can be heard clearly.

The box of tissues supplied on arrival had just two in it. I left the box on the edge of the desk to give a hint. On returning that afternoon the box was gone but not replaced. Nor had the lamp been fixed. The following morning I mentioned these matters and when I returned the lamp had been fixed. A quarter full box of tissues was on the desk.

Breakfast was the only reason that this inn escaped a poor marking. On all four days it was well prepared. The buffet with juices and cereals etc. was well stocked and topped up. There seemed to be a general lack of coordination in the dinning room, orders taken and delivered by different people. Soon after I sat down I was offered tea or coffee. I ordered coffee but was annoyed when at least two tables who had arrived after me had theirs delivered, and the woman in charge seemed none to pleased when I called her over to ask where my coffee was. The young woman who had taken the order probably couldn't care if I got it or not - that was her general attitude.
The remaining staff were friendly and helpful.
The cooked breakfast was great each day.

Please see my restaurant review.
When I came to check out I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay. I was asked to pay for extras (dinners). I had eaten twice at £ 22:50 - and I had noted the bill each day to that effect, and a bottle of Haut Medoc at £ 27.00. = £72:00. I was asked for considerably more by the same woman I had spoken to on arrival. I just said 'no - I owe you £ 72, She returned to the office and said she would take of the difference as a discount. Nice try ! Maybe she did not seem to understand the arrangement made with me by the owners and advertised on their website.

I will not recommend nor return to this inn unless I hear things have dramatically improved.

Room Tip: Be sure to insist on a quiet room I have stayed a couple of times a few years back and it was much...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights recently. The accommodation ( we had the family room as it was the only one left) was excellent as was the restaurant both the evening meals and the breakfasts, and so was the customer service. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room is at the front of the hotel, but we were not aware of any outside noise and in fact...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Surrey
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night on a Saturday.

Check in was very friendly and efficient, first impressions were good and we were hopeful of an enjoyable stay.

We were staying in room 6 which together with rooms, 4, 5 & 7 are in the main building over the pub bar area. I would recommend you avoid these at all costs if you have any desire to sleep anytime before the pub closes or in our case up to an hour later. From the moment we walked into the room at around 3pm, noise from the bar below could be easily heard, not just background noise, but actual conversations, we took this in the spirit of pub accommodation and decided we could live with it, but it did ultimately impact the stay significantly.

We returned to our room around 9.30pm having had a lovely meal in the restaurant (see separate review as it was too good to include with the room review). Room 6 is above the entrance to the pub so not only did we suffer noise from the bar below, but also from customers standing outside. The pub shut at 11pm, the noise from the bar below was gone by 11.30pm, but one particularly annoying customer with a very loud voice only moved away from the front of the pub around midnight, with no bar staff encouragement to move along any earlier.

Fair enough, it was Saturday night and tomorrow was Sunday, so plenty of time for a lie in especially as breakfast is not served before 8am. Unfortunately at 5.30am, I was woken by a conversation taking place which was so clear I thought it was in our room, once I was fully awake five minutes later it seemed to be a small child talking with his parents in room 5 next door, which without the noise from the bar below to mask it, had zero sound proofing between the rooms!!!!

It’s such a shame as everything else about this place is great and reading other reviews I fully endorse many of the comments, but can only assume the rooms at the back of the pub do not suffer the same issue. After all, the basic purpose of an overnight stop has to be ability to sleep, everything else is the bonus.

We paid £90 for a basic double which is far from cheap and although the brewery which owns this place has clearly spent money on it to make it visually appealing, it’s a great shame that they did not spend some of that money in ensuring the rooms have at least some soundproofing.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 4,5,6 & 7 over the main bar
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We cannot find fault with this hotel. Room lovely, food great and staff are so friendly. We were staying with a friend and, between us, have 4 dogs. They could not have been more accomodating - giving our friend (who has 3 of the dogs) a ground floor room so as not to negotiate stairs. The bar was busy Saturday night, we could have gone in, however, decided to make use of the tables in the courtyard area to eat. The staff were lovely, constantly telling us we could go inside. Even coming out to us when the bar started to quieten down. On entering the bar one of the dogs was reluctant to go in due to his dislike of wooden flooring! He was coaxed in by a member of the bar staff who produced a box of dog treats. Exceptional hotel. We will definately be staying again..

Room Tip: in the height of summer the rooms overlooking the courtyard may be noisy - you may try and ask for a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I knew of the Dog and Bear from previous visits to just have a meal there, as we are relatively local. But this time, I had booked a room for the night as a surprise for my wife after a special celebration to renew our wedding vows, so it was a sort of "honeymoon" night!

I booked the room with a four poster bed, and the room was very spacious and well furnished & decorated. The bed itself was a bit on the firm side, as we are used to a more springy mattress, but nevertheless it was comfortable enough. The en suite bathroom was also very pleasant. Only down side was the shower lacked a decent pressure, and the bath, although impressively large, had the drain plug right in the middle, and kept popping up and letting water out every time it was touched.

Breakfast was marvellous, and service second to none.

We would highly recommend the Dog and Bear to anyone wanting a base in mid Kent from where you can access sight seeing locations such as Leeds Castle, Canterbury, South East Coast, etc.

Room Tip: The room with the four poster is, as I said spacious, but being at the front there is early morning...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Chilston Park Hotel
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Eastwell Manor
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Boughton Lees

Been to Dog & Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!