“Basic but friendly”
Review of Dog & Bear Hotel

Dog & Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here with a friend whilst attending a wedding at another nearby hotel which was fully booked. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The rooms are basic and the walls are paper thin, to the point I could hear next door switch on their bathroom light and clearly hear their conversations. The rooms were very cold as no radiators had been switched on even though it was very cold outside. The hotel was ok for one night but nothing special

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently stayed at the Dog and Bear in Lenham with my boyfriend who had arranged this for my Birthday. We live quite locally but don't know Lenham that well so when we found the pub we weren't sure where we could park, after driving around/wondering around for a while we decided to go inside check in. It was then decided that I would order us some drinks while my boyfriend moved the car to the pub's car park. Unfortunately I was still waiting to be served at the bar when my boyfriend arrived back. The bartender was a little slow and seemed to be in a world of his own! The pub wasn't exactly heaving so waiting over 10 minutes to be served a drink was a bit much!

Finally after being served we decided to ask someone to show us to the restaurant where we had a table reserved for dinner - we didn't fancy waiting another 15 minutes to ask the barman so waited to find a waitress ... again the staff seem to be in there own little worlds and it took some time to attract attention.

There is two sections of the restaurant one very quite with just one table of two the other seemed to have more of an atmosphere. Of course we wanted to go where there was more people but were told it was fully booked. So we had to sit in the quite section ... then after being given menus and seated were told there had been a cancellation and that we could move. Once we moved there was at least 3 empty table which stayed empty throughout the evening.

Food - To start I had salmon fishcakes with a horseradish dip, they were nice but not fantastic ... my boyfriend had Roasted Tomato Soup this was more like tomato puree. Main Courses I had pork belly with sweet potato and plum jus - this was fantastic, I really enjoed it. My boyfriend had a steak which he thoroughly enjoyed. Dessert for me was lovely Banoffie flan - the same as banoffie pie! However dessert for the other half wasn't so good! It was an apple and berry crumble the crumble was more of a dust texture and wasn't easy to swallow. However he didn't send it back just ate the fruit!

Room - The room we stayed in was well presented, clean, tidy and comfortable.There was no disturbances and were overall very pleased.

Breakfast - This was quite an experience! We arrived at 9.30am - unfortunatley we had overslept however no fuss was made, we ordered and waited with orange juice, tea and coffee. After a few minutes we were aware of staff talking for the kitchen which was fine ... then a memberof the housekeeping staff started hovering nearby followed by loud taking - Roon 8 was mentioned for some reason ... This carrried on throughout our breakfast, the hover was then plugged into a socket in the restaurant - we had just finished and with the breakfast staff also moving tables around us we felt as if we were in the way - Quite disappointing.

I don't think my partner and I would visit this pub again - unfortunatly at this time it doesn't have much of an appeal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjade22
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Dog & Bear in september.
Lenham is a very charming village and the Dog & Bear is everything we expect from a typical English Inn.

We had a great deal (booked by House of Britain) on the ferry crossing Dunkerque - Dover + 2 night's stay, and already recommended the Dog & Bear to several friends & family members. It's a great place to stay if on a short break in England.

The pub really added to the atmosphere. It is used by locals and we enjoyed having a drink at night, without having to drive. Room within walking distance. Nice. The food was good: classic English dishes like steak & ale pie. Always a great reason to visit the UK .

Breakfast was very good. Lot's of choice: Continental breakfast, English breakfast, waffles with maple syrup, bacon and an egg (stuff one would never eat in Belgium:)), ... + friendly staff.

Our room was good. We felt the bed was rather small (we have a bigger one at home) and since it is an older building there's not as much insulation as in newer ones. We didn't have noisy neighbours but if we had, the whole experience would have been less fun.

For the money we paid we really can't complain and we would definitely return.
If the owners would want to improve something: The bathroom could use some refurbishments.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tine V
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This pub has undergone a recent refurbishment and it has been carried out in a sympathetic style to the age of the building. We stayed in a Four Poster room above the pub itself overlooking the square, The room is decorated in rich colours and very well appointed. Large TV on the wall to have a lazy Sunday cuppa in front of, lovely big bath which I enjoyed rather than the shower and a little sofa in the corner.

The pub is obviously used by locals and was busy early evening but was quiet enough for a pleasant evening drink. There isn't a great deal in Lenham, which was perfect as we only were visiting for a quiet relaxed evening.

The food was pub grub, but grub which was done very well. The bread was not just standard but flavoured with herbs, the chips were crispy and skin on, there was Haggis on the menu and some interesting specials. It is little touches like this which elevate the food above standard - generous portions too.

Breakfast was pretty good and I noticed other tables around me asking for various combinations from the menu - each request met with a "no problem".

The best feature of this hotel though is the staff. We had a lovely warm friendly greeting and this continued through the pub and the restaurant in every interaction we had. In a world customer service has gone down the tubes, The Dog and Bear have got it right.

Overall, the hotel is worth the reasonable cost and I am definatley going back. I've stayed at B&Bs and some of the worlds best hotels and this has been the most enjoyable stay my OH and I have had in a long while.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

One night only on way to a conference. Food ok, rooms clean everything you need. I feel the staff make this place very pleasant and attentive, dinner was not bad but the fish and chips looked the best. Breakfast looked good but i only had a small egg and bacon, i think everyone was enjoying the full english.I would stay again if i was on my way for euro tunnel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This traditionally fronted hotel has been extended in modern times to create a generic, above average, value for money hotel in what can be an expensive part of the UK.
Stripped of its original features it's pub in a box feel does it no favours, but actually all the ingredients for acomfortable stay are there including (at least on this shift) friendly, professional local staff.
The rooms are modern and well furnished, clean and relatively spacious.
There's no phone signal inside the building, so you might need to fork out for bt openzone to get out to the world.
Breakfast was up to scratch and I'd be happy to come back.
Good sized carpark.
Other eating options are available locally. Which is lucky.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We spent this weekend at the Dog and Bear have been before and returned because they have a excellent eye for detail, Being owners of a small dog who by the loves this hotel as well we were given a lovely room with its own little garden what a treat for the dog and for us as well. Food great great breakfast, only problem is the going home part..

Lenham is a great place friendly and full of lovely little shops check out the Butchers and tea shop all wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Chilston Park Hotel
#5 of 17 in Maidstone
The Harrow Inn
The Harrow Inn
#3 of 3 in Lenham

Been to Dog & Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!