“Already looking for an excuse to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Marble Lounge

The Marble Lounge
Ranked #3 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Lenham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: What better place to enjoy this fine tradition than in the lounge of this historic country house. Gaze out the ceiling high windows and take in the view whilst savouring each of our carefully prepared pastries, dainty sandwiches and the finest leaf tea, served to perfection.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Already looking for an excuse to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Had a late afternoon celebration tea - met every expectation, good but not fussy service, delicious food and well presented (good mix of sandwiches, warm scones, three types of cakes - traditional fruit, fruit tart and a fantastic eclair...I could have eaten these all night) and comfy surroundings on a wet cold day - sofa's in front the fire. Drink choice extensive and pots of tea refreshes provided.
Often a late afternoon tea has that prepared in advance feel, this was all fresh and full of flavour.
We also felt under no pressure to hurry despite dinner guests arriving. Will return asap if I have my way!

• Visited April 2013
ManagerCPH, General Manager at The Marble Lounge, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind words, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your celebration tea so much. All aspects of the visit seem to have met your expectations and this is wonderful to hear. Please don't wait too long before visiting us again, you never need an excuse to treat yourself.
Gareth Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Elevens's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went here with my daughter as a treat for her Birthday and yet again we had a lovely experience. We chose the elevens's menu this time and what a delicious choice of food, not too sure about the "Welsh Rarebit" as it was served in little pastry cases and not on toast but then I suppose toast would have gone soft. Overall a very good option.

• Visited February 2013
ManagerCPH, General Manager at The Marble Lounge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for visiting us again and for your lovely review. We have received many positive comments regarding our elevenses selection and I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience.
I do hope that you continue to enjoy the treats that our Marble Lounge offers and hope to see you here at Chilston Park again in the future.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Had afternoon tea here along with 2 of my daughters and grandaughter. Staff were very attentive and food was delicious, tea was exactly what we ordered and we were asked if we required any more of anything on several occasions. Lovely cosy atmosphere with the fire lit and Christmas decorations up. Would certainly visit again.

• Visited December 2012
ManagerCPH, General Manager at The Marble Lounge, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest
It is delightful to read that you were so well looked after during your recent visit to Chilston Park, thank you so much for your kind words. I am pleased that the quality of cuisine offered met your expectations and that the overall experience will lead you to return to us again.
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked afternoon tea for my friends baby shower at chilston park and could not be happier at the service we received. We were situated in a private dining room, the members of staff were very attentive , the food excellent and the atmosphere relaxed. This is the third time I've had afternoon tea at chilston park and highly recommend it .

ManagerCPH, General Manager at The Marble Lounge, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor following your recent visit to Chilston Park. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and that you would recommend the hotel to future guests.
I am pleased that the recent team training undertaken in regard to afternoon tea service was in evidence with the service you received described as attentive.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Rainham, null, United Kingdom
“A level of service that needs to be experienced to be believed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were 'treated' to afternoon tea here as a birthday gift. We would have to agree with most of the reviews here. The food and grounds are fantastic. The one issue that seems to come up time and again is the shocking service and poor management. The general manager seems adept at responding but doesn't seem to have done anything about it! So, let me take you through our experience step by step dear readers:

1 It was a lovely sunny day - we were not offered a table outside, or even a table near to a window! Poor.

2 We and everyone else who arrived for tea at the same time had booked - but staff didn't seem able to find the details of the booking (more of this later).

3 On the website it recommended an upgrade with a glass of champagne. We were not offered this by any member of staff. Missing an opportunity to up sell? Training needed quite clearly.

4 When we asked for wine we were not offered a wine menu and had to take a 'pot shot' without knowledge of the cellar or prices per glass. Again, basic stuff.

5 Throughout the hour or so we were there staff milled around the till outside the entrance to the restaurant, chatting or discussing the till functions. It was extremely difficult to catch their attention. The till beeped and bipped throughout.

6 When our tea arrived it was the 'traditional'. We wanted savoury. The member of staff said that she had an order for 'traditional'. I made it clear that no one had asked us at any point what tea we wanted (either by phone or when we first rocked up). Savoury came 15 minutes later. Food was fine.

7 As we sat eating, accompanied to the bickering of the staff and electronic symphony of the till a couple who had arrived before us finished their tea and left. Staff then asked one another who they were, whether they were staying and if they had paid! Quote of the day was "we'll have to have a look out for them at breakfast and sort it then!" - all within earshot of us!

8 A booking of 5 then turned up and experienced the same chaotic response - no record of their booking, plumped down in the lounge without being asked if they wanted to sit outside - you're getting the picture now? 3 members of staff at one point were dealing with them. When they were placed outside it became apparent from 'till corner' that they also hadn't been offered a choice of tea and a discussion occurred as to which member of staff was going to have to break the bad news! Sadly the most eager and youngest lad agreed to 'take one for the team'

9 When our bill was brought an apology was made for the poor service and a glass of wine had been deducted. But even then it was wrong! The icing on the cake at this point was that (presumably a senior member of staff) came along, gave the member of staff guidance on how to take our payment but made no acknowledgement of the situation. With management like that I guess you can only conclude that this is what you're going to get front of house.

10 Piped musack - a sort of Kenny G compilation. Wailing saxophones etc. Who in God's name thinks that this improves anyone's stay or experience in a period building? Even in the reception we were treated to The Cure's "Friday I'm in love" whilst sitting in a period waiting area - it's just bizarre!

All this on a day when a car manufacturer was using the grounds to sell their vehicles. There were lots of people there who it is reasonable to assume have a disposable income. It was a great opportunity to showcase the venue and the service.

Whilst Mr Davies seems very quick to acknowledge his customer's comments he seems to have done next to nothing to improve the level of service and systems in place, from our experience at least.

1 Thank Ashley376
ManagerRHI, General Manager at The Marble Lounge, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest
I am sorry that on this occasion your experience fell below the levels that both you expected and we set for ourselves. Please do except my most sincere apologies for this experience. It is especially disappointing to receive such negative feedback as we have recently held a number of training sessions with the team aimed at this aspect of our service.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in detail the experience that you had and too also outline the steps that have already been undertaken during my short time at the hotel to improve the quality of service offered. If you wish to allow me this opportunity please contact me here at the hotel.
Gareth Davies

Been to The Marble Lounge? Share your experiences!