“Decent place not far from Dover ferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Harrow Inn

The Harrow Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Paris, France
“Decent place not far from Dover ferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Harro Inn before leaving England for France. The room we stayed in was very large for a family of five. There was a misunderstanding and we ended up in a room with only four beds, but they brought us an extra mattress to place on the floor. However, for the mattress and the breakfast, we were told one price and charge a bit more. I was tired at the end of our holiday though and didn't try to fight it. The room was dated as is the bathroom. There is a lack of towel bars in the bathroom that is a bother for a large family. But the bedroom and bathroom were clean. The beds were decent; everyone slept well. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was fine. Kids had plenty to eat. I would stay here again based on the location, size of the room, cleanliness, and friendly staff. We didn't have dinner there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jones515

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manot, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

If you are looking for a quiet secluded spot, well off the beaten track, with good food and service at a good price, then The Harrow should suit you. The location is isolated but not too far from the A20. My room was clean and tidy and you needn't ask for a quiet room, as they are all quiet! There is a bar menu and an a la carte menu. Wifi is available throughout the hotel, but it is a bit flakey. The Manager was very attentive throughout my stay and I could not fault the accommodation which was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Brian R
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for one night, breakfast was very good. Rooms clean and tidy, bathrooms could do with a refurb and showers definitely need updating, all I got was a very poor trickle of water, but as it was only for one night it didnt matter too much. Breakfast and service from all staff was very good. Good value, would stay agin but would make sure I got a room with a decent shower.

Room Tip: Check out shower before accepting room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 33L
Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Family of 5 stayed one night. Best thing about this hotel is Colin who works there who was very helpful and friendly. We ate dinner here which was very good and the wine Colin recommended was excellent. We booked a large family room with shower. The room was dated but comfortable and wonderfully quiet. Only a couple of things let this hotel down..... The outside needs tidying up, grass mowing, stuff stored near check in area needs to be put out of sight of guests! pillows are awful and there is no water pressure in the shower, it was a dribble, bath mat was a piece of paper ! These are minor issues and could easily be changed and this place would be a great hotel. They have been mentioned in other reviews but clearly the owner is not listening.

Room Tip: Room 11 big for families and quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank J F
Walkern, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Harrow and Colin has left me with very mixed emotions on writing this review.

I was travelling with my dog and the most important part of my stay, anywhere, is being able to walk her in safe surroundings. From this respect The Harrow ticked all of my boxes. It is surrounded by country lanes and fields where I could let her off the lead with no problem.

The place is a bit run down and old fashioned, however I can forgive that because it was cancelled out by the warm and friendly welcome. My room (16) was fine size wise, however absolutely stank of air freshner - so much so I had to open the windows and leave them open. I could not find the source of the smell, despite searching - I looked for a 'plug-in' hoping to remove it, however in the end I had to come to the conclusion that it was either Febreze, or Shake and Vac, however the carpet needed a good hoover. Unfortunately during my search for the aforementioned 'plug-in' I moved one of the bedside cabinets. I was checking to see if the bedside light was plugged in as it wouldnt work. To my horror I found a wire that went from the lamp and was lying along the wall towards the other bedside table. It was not plugged in and the wire had been extended with another piece of flex and bound together with tape! I checked the wire on the other lamp - this looked fine so I used that one instead.

I went down to dinner at about 6.45 - the place was empty. Colin kindly gave my dog a bonio and took my order for dinner - home made lasagne, garlic bread and salad. The portion size was generous and the lasagne very nice but could have been hotter. The salad was most disappointing and consisted of a plate containing about half an iceburg lettuce, two under ripe tomatoes sliced and a block of cucumber sliced. It would have been better if it had been salad out of a bag for it was very un-appetising.

The bar remained quiet until I retired just before 9 p.m. I had a very good nights sleep without any disturbances and breakfast in the morning was fine.

This little pub could be a gold mine with just a bit more effort and alot of updating. It's in a fantastic location and should be far busier but i can see why no-one goes there - it would not be for the food.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Melanie B
lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed here as it is located near the Marley site in Lenham. I have to say that I was a bit worried as some of the reviews painted it in a poor light. I need not have worried as my stay was fine. The bedroom was large, the bed was comfortable and there was no traffic or other noise to disturb my sleep. The bathroom was a good size and everything worked.
I ate in the bar and found the food to be OK, there were two real ales both local brews, the one that I sampled was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank impulsivearies
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We wanted to stay in a hotel in Maidstone as we was due to go out for a friends birthday, but unfortunately couldn't find anywhere to take the 11 of us. On our arrival we was a little shocked to see that it was 'in the middle of nowhere' We was told before we booked that it was about 10miles from Maidstone town which was fine. Tony, the owner (I think that's his name) was helpful and gave us some taxi numbers which we booked as a lot of them were very busy and unable to take us. The rooms, id say were vintage and fit in well with the whole building. Its a lovely hotel and not overly expensive. You get what you pay for. Id say its ideal for a winter evening sat by the fire or something and perfect if your young and going for a night out on the town, but expect to pay around 30pound for a taxi to the town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank danslodo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Dog & Bear Hotel
Wards Hotel
Wards Hotel
#1 of 10 in Folkestone
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments

Been to The Harrow Inn? Share your experiences!