“I felt like the hotel inspector...”
Review of The Harrow Inn

The Harrow Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Harrow and Colin has left me with very mixed emotions on writing this review.

I was travelling with my dog and the most important part of my stay, anywhere, is being able to walk her in safe surroundings. From this respect The Harrow ticked all of my boxes. It is surrounded by country lanes and fields where I could let her off the lead with no problem.

The place is a bit run down and old fashioned, however I can forgive that because it was cancelled out by the warm and friendly welcome. My room (16) was fine size wise, however absolutely stank of air freshner - so much so I had to open the windows and leave them open. I could not find the source of the smell, despite searching - I looked for a 'plug-in' hoping to remove it, however in the end I had to come to the conclusion that it was either Febreze, or Shake and Vac, however the carpet needed a good hoover. Unfortunately during my search for the aforementioned 'plug-in' I moved one of the bedside cabinets. I was checking to see if the bedside light was plugged in as it wouldnt work. To my horror I found a wire that went from the lamp and was lying along the wall towards the other bedside table. It was not plugged in and the wire had been extended with another piece of flex and bound together with tape! I checked the wire on the other lamp - this looked fine so I used that one instead.

I went down to dinner at about 6.45 - the place was empty. Colin kindly gave my dog a bonio and took my order for dinner - home made lasagne, garlic bread and salad. The portion size was generous and the lasagne very nice but could have been hotter. The salad was most disappointing and consisted of a plate containing about half an iceburg lettuce, two under ripe tomatoes sliced and a block of cucumber sliced. It would have been better if it had been salad out of a bag for it was very un-appetising.

The bar remained quiet until I retired just before 9 p.m. I had a very good nights sleep without any disturbances and breakfast in the morning was fine.

This little pub could be a gold mine with just a bit more effort and alot of updating. It's in a fantastic location and should be far busier but i can see why no-one goes there - it would not be for the food.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Melanie B

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed here as it is located near the Marley site in Lenham. I have to say that I was a bit worried as some of the reviews painted it in a poor light. I need not have worried as my stay was fine. The bedroom was large, the bed was comfortable and there was no traffic or other noise to disturb my sleep. The bathroom was a good size and everything worked.
I ate in the bar and found the food to be OK, there were two real ales both local brews, the one that I sampled was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank impulsivearies
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We wanted to stay in a hotel in Maidstone as we was due to go out for a friends birthday, but unfortunately couldn't find anywhere to take the 11 of us. On our arrival we was a little shocked to see that it was 'in the middle of nowhere' We was told before we booked that it was about 10miles from Maidstone town which was fine. Tony, the owner (I think that's his name) was helpful and gave us some taxi numbers which we booked as a lot of them were very busy and unable to take us. The rooms, id say were vintage and fit in well with the whole building. Its a lovely hotel and not overly expensive. You get what you pay for. Id say its ideal for a winter evening sat by the fire or something and perfect if your young and going for a night out on the town, but expect to pay around 30pound for a taxi to the town.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank danslodo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On arrival you find a large car park with ample parking as I can only walk a short distance it was nice to see the disabled parking was next to the ramp making it easy if I had needed my wheelchair. We were greeted at reception by a lovely gentleman who showed us to our ground floor room with a double bed and two singles and ample room for a wheelchair user (Room 7) it had a large TV and ample tea, coffee etc. and a large bathroom. We decided to have a meal in the restaurant in the evening and found the meals very good and Colin the gentleman in the restaurant/bar was very pleasant and helpful and brought us an array of sauces etc and made us feel very welcome, the price of the food on the menu I feel was very good and you get good portions, you are asked on arrival what time you require breakfast which is served from around 7 (this is good for early risers or if you have to be away early), We arrived at breakfast and was greeted by Colin who again nothing was too much trouble we were offered a full English breakfast and added fried bread when requested this was all cooked fresh as was the ample serving of brown and white toast. Having stayed at a more modern hotel the previous weekend in Chatham and had a really bad experience with cold pasta at the evening meal and a breakfast that was overcooked etc. we found this hotel was a refreshing reminder of what good old fashioned hospitality was like with friendly staff and good food as well as pleasant surroundings with some of the buildings dating back to the 17th century and for the car enthusiast there is a meeting of the local car club on the last friday of every month so you get to see some beautiful old cars as well as kit cars free of charge, We enjoyed this stay so much we have booked it again for this coming weekend.

Room Tip: room 7 is a very nice room on the ground floor with a large bathroom and is very quite. this would s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jo A
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We chose this hotel because it is dog friendly and the reviews were fair. The room we had was a family room with a double bed and 2 singles and was a good comfortable size unlike many hotel chains, however the room looked as if it not been decorated since it was built, probably in the 80's. In fact the whole place was decaying and had now reached the shabby stage. We decided to try an evening meal and chose a smoked salmon and prawn starter with salad and brown bread. On sitting in the dining room I could feel the springs in the squab of the chair, on looking around all the chairs appeared to be equally knackered. The starter arrived, shrimp not prawns, bread with 3mm of fowl spread troweled on top and no salad dressing, after asking for the bread to be replaced unspread and for salad dressing a bottle of Asda salad dressing arrived and a mountain of bread with portions of butter, no attempt was made to remove the original bread until requested. For main course we had ordered fillet steak etc. Both my wife and I suspected that the steak that arrived was not fillet steak but some much tougher cheaper cut. The mushrooms tasted as if cooked in diesel oil. To add insult to injury these 2 courses cost about £26. We got up and left. The service was terrible, 1 person manning;- reception, bar and dinning room is simply not enough. Breakfast next morning was a triumph by comparison with the evening meal despite the same foul mushrooms and a hard yolked fried egg.

Needless to say we did not dine here again. What really upset me was that there were Austrian and German families staying here and I felt so ashamed that they were experiencing this appalling place and thinking it was representative of British hospitality. This place is expensive to stay and even more expensive to eat, halve the price and I would still be disappointed .

Avoid this place at all cost!

Room Tip: Find an alternative place to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Spent a comfortable night in pleasant double room. Everything working fine. Breakfast fine though as with many UK hotels they like to get you out before ten. Minor quibble:They should invest in better bread for toast. Sliced farmhouse with bits is available from Tesco for £1.20 and makes so much tastier toast..
Pretty setting and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank davidm5434
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A single night visit prior to a day at Howletts (about 30 minutes away). Party of 7, 4 adults and 3 children. We booked 2 family rooms and were more than happy with the accommodation on offer. Each room ( numbers 7 and 8) was very spacious with ample room for 2 adults and 2 children whatever their ages. A huge flat screen TV guaranteed to gladden the heart of any teenager! Ample tea, coffee and bottled water provided with a sensible sized kettle. Decor is a bit stuck in the 80's and the bathroom, whilst very spacious, could do with a bit of attention to the floor covering but it was spotlessly clean and warm. Staff (we only really dealt with one gentleman who seemed to do just about everything) were polite, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. He was very child friendly and was kind and attentive to the youngest member of our party, aged 4. They have a restaurant where we ate that evening, it was pleasant, not fine dining but good sized portions, hot and tasty. The menu is also stuck in the 80's but hey that's retro! Breakfast was very good, full English if you fancy it and you will be asked the night before what time you would like it. Useful for us since my husband needed to be up and away early on the Sunday morning and he could have his breakfast at 7:30 while the rest of us were still snoozing!

Room Tip: Rooms 7 and 8 sleep four each and are very quiet and spacious. Both are on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Dog & Bear Hotel
The Black Horse Inn
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Been to The Harrow Inn? Share your experiences!