“A Pleasant Surprise”

Dog & Bear Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Lenham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Overlooking the picturesque village square, The Dog and Bear Hotel in Lenham combines the friendly atmosphere of a local pub with all the comforts of a modern hotel and restaurant.And while rooms and facilities have been recently refurbished to the highest standards, a sense of history pervades this place too. Built in 1602, the hotel was visited by Queen Anne in 1704 - her coat of arms still displayed above the door today.
Caterham, England, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were on a relaxing weekend away and on the spur of the moment decided to eat away from the hotel we were staying in (but that's ANOTHER story)
So we headed for the nearest village and came across Lenham. V, Pretty village square with a couple of pub/hotels and a fish and chips restaurant. It was almost a spin the bottle type choice and having checked out the menus settled on the Dog & Bear.
It was delightful. I started with panfried prawns which were beautifully cooked and seasoned. My other half settled on the duck pate which was rich and tasty and so large a portion that I managed to sneak off with some at the end. I in no way regretted my choice, but I would have been happy to swap if some natural disaster had occurred which necessitated it. As it was we both moved on to various incarnations of cod. I plumped for the oven baked loin but asked if I could forgo the lentils and the kitchen was obliging and swapped them crushed new potatoes. The other cod was the beer battered variety with chips and mushy peas. The chips were crispy and fresh and the mushy peas actually tasted of peas. The batter was light and the cod was juicy - a winner all round. And so to pudding - always a tricky choice. I took the brownie with dark chocolate sauce and clotted cream ice cream which I loved. However, the Capuccino brulee was sensational. I seriously considered if I could manage a second pud but common sense prevailed. By the time the surprisingly modest bill arrived we were two stuffed and happy customers. Luckily it was a short stagger over to the car and a not much further drive back to our hotel. Next time I might be tempted to stay at the hotel attached. But I urge you to get yourselves there and demand the pate and the brulee. Don't worry about the main course - just have two of each,,,, Oh and the staff were lovely too, even to a rather repulsive and obnoxious drunk woman who having scarfed down her food decided at pretty much the last bite that it was 'disgusting' and 'inedible'. The staff behaved impeccably. I'd have asked her to leave - but that's why I don't run a restaurant. Well done Dog and Bear.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lesa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Average breakfast”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Arrived 9:20 Saturday for a breakfast as a non-resident. Was asked if we were residents, and told "we are a bit busy". Not really welcoming. The person who actually served our breakfast was more friendly, but omitted to ask if we wanted any sauces, and did not bring marmalade for our toast. While not extortionate, a breakfast here is not cheap and as a non-resident was not really a very satisfying experience. It's in a nice location, but so is the other pub in the square!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Kent”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Goood food at a good price friendly staff not 5 star but for the price very goog value lovely village setting nice beer gardan

• Visited July 2013
Chatham, United Kingdom
“sunday roast”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

probably the best Sunday roast I have eaten without cooking it myself. Generous meat portions well cooked roast potatoes and al-dente veg.. pleasant décor and good service. The dog and bear is set in the picturesque village square in the heart of Kent surrounded by many country walks.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Feast”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Took my family here for Pre Father's Day meal and I have to say it was one of the best meals we've ever had!
Seated overlooking the village square, clean and spacious. Brilliant attentive staff not intrusive but on the ball. Never had to wait long for drinks refills or meal.
The ploughmans is a feast fit for a king and the home made steak and spitfire ale pie is honestly the best home made pie I've ever had.
Would we go back... You bet we will : ) 9/10.