“Stately Living!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Stately Living!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked this as a stop off point (200 mile trip) to a cottage on the south-east coast so that we could be pampered before we had to start looking after ourselves. We weren't disappointed. A little bit difficult to find down the narrow country lanes but even though near the motorway/railway, it was peaceful. Our room was directly above the reception area but again no noise/disturbance only from people in other rooms who decided to have very loud conversations directly outside our door. We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was very good. The staff were very polite, friendly and attentive, although over 3 hours for a three course meal we felt was a little long. Breakfast was excellent. The rooms were very comfortable and the only thing we didn't like was that the sash windows were not a good fit and the breeze that came through was quite noticeable. We blocked the gaps with tissues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, with the team and breakfast standing out for special recognition. I must also thank you for your constructive comments regarding a couple of finer points that we can improve upon, this feedback is really useful to us.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Tavistock, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed recently to attend a function elsewhere, a lovely stay with a beautiful room four poster bed and comfortable room. Afternoon tea a delight, if you want a budget hotel it is not for you but what you get for your money is excellent , wished we could have stayed longer. Beautiful lake and grounds, slight noise from the M20 but nothing inside, warm and cosy with that country manor feeling. Staff were very attentive and always available to help with a genuine smile. Breakfast freshly cooked and plentiful.

Room Tip: Evelyn room was excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your short break with us. It is wonderful to read that the team were so attentive and delivered such a high level of service to you and the surroundings of the hotel met your expectations. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Without any doubt the best hotel we have stayed in. We have been fortunate to be able to stay in some of the finest hotels in the world and this hotel is definitely the best. The service is exceptional and it is a joy to stay in such beautiful surroundings and to enjoy staying I such a wonderful place. We stayed in the old building in la chinoiserie which was huge and filled with beautiful Chinese antiques. Restaurant has two rosettes but deserves Michelin stars . Blissful stay for us - first of many

Room Tip: Rooms in old building are exquisite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I am thrilled that your stay was such a enjoyable experience and I thank you for choosing to record your thoughts on this website. I will certainly ensure that all members of our team are made aware of your wonderful comments and I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

From the moment I contacted Chilston Park I was treated with courtesy and helpfulness. I wanted to arrange a surprise celebration for my husband's 65th Birthday & Retirement. Vicky helped me through all the stages in order that I got exactly what I wanted. I chose the special package, consisting of accommodation, private dining and breakfast for our group of 10. Menus, wine lists etc. came by e-mail so that the surprise would remain until the chosen day. Vicky checked with me every step of the way to ensure that I had everything I needed, right down to the cake stand and knife.
On the special day we arrived, surprise number 1, and were shown to our room which was delightful. After unpacking we went off to have our pre-arranged cream tea which was where surprise 2 occurred as all the other guests were waiting. Enter gobsmacked husband. The tea was lovely and allowed him to open his cards and presents. Everybody else then went off to book into their accommodation. This required everybody looking at the individuality of each other's rooms, again everyone was pleased with their rooms.
For the dinner there was a champagne and canapé 'reception' first which went down very well. This was followed by the meal which was excellent. Our waitress was Kayleigh who was perfectly at ease with the group, extremely attentive and intuitive, a real delight. The library, which looked resplendent in white linens and sparkling glass and silver, had been decorated by the staff with the bits and pieces we had brought along and the special cake had pride of place on a side table. It was fantastic to be able to leave everything to the hotel and enjoy the evening myself. We were not hurried away at the end of the meal and were able to enjoy the company and the privacy.
After a good night's sleep we all returned to the library for a private breakfast and then took advantage of the beautiful weather and strolled round the grounds. A lovely end to a fantastic occasion which Chilston Park can obviously do so well. Thank you for keeping the secret and thank you for making it such a brilliant occasion for all of us.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms in the main building ...all are a little quirky and were enjoyed by all our guests.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Raksha11th
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very kind words, I am delighted that your surprise celebrations were so very enjoyable for all concerned. It is wonderful to read that from the start of the booking process through to the celebrations themselves the team looked after you so very well and we were able to ensure that the element of surprise was retained!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Safari room last weekend for a wedding. The whole stay was totally outstanding. The staff were amazing and clearly work very hard. The wine manger was there until 11pm and then there again 9.00 in the morning. The staff were so kind to us and nothing was a problem. The room was beautiful only thing was I wasn't sure if the bathroom was cleaned was toothpaste marks and shower gel left in the shower. Thank you so much. Will be coming back soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing to read that we have met our guests expectations and they have enjoyed staying with us. I trust that the wedding celebrations were enjoyable for all who attended. I will of course mention the presentation of the bathroom that you mentioned to my Head Housekeeper to ensure that the sparkle that we aim to achieve is more evident. Apologies of this tainted your enjoyment in anyway.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again.
Carlton in Lindrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We made a late booking at this hotel for the final night of our holiday and got a good deal through their website offers.

On arrival at the impressive building and gardens, the reception staff were beyond reproach. They were friendly and engaged with us to chat about our recent holiday in Provence. It felt as if they wanted to spend time with us and were genuinely interested in our recent travels.

We were shown to our beautiful spacious room which had an art-deco theme. The bed was one of the largest I've ever seen and also the one of the most comfortable. The en-suite was large and well-equipped with premium products.

We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The food was superb and the waiting staff were, once more, absolutely marvellous. I can't commend them enough.

As we were leaving, one of the hotel gardeners came over to chat about the ducks that live on the property.

This is how a hotel should be managed. We certainly intend to return. The hotel is fantastic but the staff shine brighter.

Room Tip: We had a look at a few rooms. They have different themes and all look spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ece69
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, it is clear that the team really made this stay that little bit extra special and this is the simply the best feedback we can receive. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Heathfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel should have had top marks - if we had reviewed it yesterday after dinner and before going to bed I would have been raving.
As a birthday treat my husband took me to the Hawking Centre at Doddington place and wanted to find a really nice hotel for dinner and overnight to round off our outing.
As we drove up to the Chilston Park Hotel we could not fail but be impressed. A beautiful old country house in superb surroundings. Entering the building it got better and better. The staff are outstandingly friendly and professional and the décor really made you feel like a special guest at Downton Abbey (if you watch television).
We were told we had been upgraded to a themed suite and were thrilled to be let up a superb oak staircase past statues and paintings to be shown the Regency Suite. What can I say. A large corner room with four poster bed, fireplace, antique furniture - including sofas and dining table with spectacular views on two sides onto manicured lawns. The room was further enhanced by a wonderful bathroom - also with paintings, statues and trinkets to make you feel as if you really were in someone's home.
We were so excited we ordered two double gin and tonics room service (£24 for the two but what the heck - we were in paradise) and booked a table in the beautiful old restaurant for that evening.
At dinner we had the Table d'Hote menu which was also well worth the money. £37 for three courses including amuse-bouches. The food was well cooked, beautifully presented and with the help of a really friendly waitress we felt there was nowhere else in England we could possibly be better pampered. In fact the only hotel in the world we felt came near was the Hilton in Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo - which is some praise!
I would love to end this story on this upbeat note and say that of all the places we have ever been and all the meals we have ever eaten - Chilston Park was the winner.
However we had forgotten that this hotel caters for weddings and receptions. It is an old house. One bar and seating area is located at the bottom of the oak staircase below our bedroom. Outside our bedroom window was located one of the reception rooms in which wedding receptions are held - and there was another behind us.
The noise of a singer rose through the floorboards until possibly midnight. This was overtaken by loud laughter and cackling from the bar areas, the receptions, even outside on the drive. Lots of people having lots of fun. Loudly. Until 3 in the morning when we decided to put the light on - give up on sleep and just wait out the night.
We are not killjoys but if you are not involved in the parties and do want to sleep you have to accept that is not going to happen.
Sadly our breakfast in the morning was as spectacular as our dinner the night before. Good service, marvellous choice - amazing.
As we checked out I said to the receptionist we were sad to say we had not managed to sleep because of the noise - we would love to come back but needed to know if we were just unlucky in the choice of our bedroom.
She said it was an old house, all the bedrooms were located within earshot of the reception rooms and bars and so all were the same. She said that when we booked through HandPicked hotels we should have been warned that this was a busy hotel and we may experience noise until the early hours.
My husband cannot remember being told when he booked not to expect to actually sleep!
So sadly - although I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to hold a reception or wedding - you could not pick better - if you are a couple looking for a nice relaxing weekend take earplugs.
We would dearly love to go back but think it would have to be midweek having checked with the hotel itself what was going on first!

Room Tip: If you want to quiet night's sleep you must find out what else is going on at the hotel when you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDuchesne
Dear Guest
It is delighting to read that the vast majority of your stay was an excellent one with many high points. However It is equally disappointing to read that after delivering such a high level of guest care throughout the hotel your stay was so heavily impacted by noise from events taking place at the hotel. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this disappointing aspect of your stay. I will certainly take this feedback on board and ensure that our room allocation procedures are being followed at all times.
Gareth Davies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Port Lympne Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lympne

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!