“Incomparable”

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Without any doubt the best hotel we have stayed in. We have been fortunate to be able to stay in some of the finest hotels in the world and this hotel is definitely the best. The service is exceptional and it is a joy to stay in such beautiful surroundings and to enjoy staying I such a wonderful place. We stayed in the old building in la chinoiserie which was huge and filled with beautiful Chinese antiques. Restaurant has two rosettes but deserves Michelin stars . Blissful stay for us - first of many

Room Tip: Rooms in old building are exquisite
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Guest
I am thrilled that your stay was such a enjoyable experience and I thank you for choosing to record your thoughts on this website. I will certainly ensure that all members of our team are made aware of your wonderful comments and I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

From the moment I contacted Chilston Park I was treated with courtesy and helpfulness. I wanted to arrange a surprise celebration for my husband's 65th Birthday & Retirement. Vicky helped me through all the stages in order that I got exactly what I wanted. I chose the special package, consisting of accommodation, private dining and breakfast for our group of 10. Menus, wine lists etc. came by e-mail so that the surprise would remain until the chosen day. Vicky checked with me every step of the way to ensure that I had everything I needed, right down to the cake stand and knife.
On the special day we arrived, surprise number 1, and were shown to our room which was delightful. After unpacking we went off to have our pre-arranged cream tea which was where surprise 2 occurred as all the other guests were waiting. Enter gobsmacked husband. The tea was lovely and allowed him to open his cards and presents. Everybody else then went off to book into their accommodation. This required everybody looking at the individuality of each other's rooms, again everyone was pleased with their rooms.
For the dinner there was a champagne and canapé 'reception' first which went down very well. This was followed by the meal which was excellent. Our waitress was Kayleigh who was perfectly at ease with the group, extremely attentive and intuitive, a real delight. The library, which looked resplendent in white linens and sparkling glass and silver, had been decorated by the staff with the bits and pieces we had brought along and the special cake had pride of place on a side table. It was fantastic to be able to leave everything to the hotel and enjoy the evening myself. We were not hurried away at the end of the meal and were able to enjoy the company and the privacy.
After a good night's sleep we all returned to the library for a private breakfast and then took advantage of the beautiful weather and strolled round the grounds. A lovely end to a fantastic occasion which Chilston Park can obviously do so well. Thank you for keeping the secret and thank you for making it such a brilliant occasion for all of us.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms in the main building ...all are a little quirky and were enjoyed by all our guests.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raksha11th
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your very kind words, I am delighted that your surprise celebrations were so very enjoyable for all concerned. It is wonderful to read that from the start of the booking process through to the celebrations themselves the team looked after you so very well and we were able to ensure that the element of surprise was retained!

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Safari room last weekend for a wedding. The whole stay was totally outstanding. The staff were amazing and clearly work very hard. The wine manger was there until 11pm and then there again 9.00 in the morning. The staff were so kind to us and nothing was a problem. The room was beautiful only thing was I wasn't sure if the bathroom was cleaned was toothpaste marks and shower gel left in the shower. Thank you so much. Will be coming back soon.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing to read that we have met our guests expectations and they have enjoyed staying with us. I trust that the wedding celebrations were enjoyable for all who attended. I will of course mention the presentation of the bathroom that you mentioned to my Head Housekeeper to ensure that the sparkle that we aim to achieve is more evident. Apologies of this tainted your enjoyment in anyway.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We made a late booking at this hotel for the final night of our holiday and got a good deal through their website offers.

On arrival at the impressive building and gardens, the reception staff were beyond reproach. They were friendly and engaged with us to chat about our recent holiday in Provence. It felt as if they wanted to spend time with us and were genuinely interested in our recent travels.

We were shown to our beautiful spacious room which had an art-deco theme. The bed was one of the largest I've ever seen and also the one of the most comfortable. The en-suite was large and well-equipped with premium products.

We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The food was superb and the waiting staff were, once more, absolutely marvellous. I can't commend them enough.

As we were leaving, one of the hotel gardeners came over to chat about the ducks that live on the property.

This is how a hotel should be managed. We certainly intend to return. The hotel is fantastic but the staff shine brighter.

Room Tip: We had a look at a few rooms. They have different themes and all look spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian A

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, it is clear that the team really made this stay that little bit extra special and this is the simply the best feedback we can receive. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel should have had top marks - if we had reviewed it yesterday after dinner and before going to bed I would have been raving.
As a birthday treat my husband took me to the Hawking Centre at Doddington place and wanted to find a really nice hotel for dinner and overnight to round off our outing.
As we drove up to the Chilston Park Hotel we could not fail but be impressed. A beautiful old country house in superb surroundings. Entering the building it got better and better. The staff are outstandingly friendly and professional and the décor really made you feel like a special guest at Downton Abbey (if you watch television).
We were told we had been upgraded to a themed suite and were thrilled to be let up a superb oak staircase past statues and paintings to be shown the Regency Suite. What can I say. A large corner room with four poster bed, fireplace, antique furniture - including sofas and dining table with spectacular views on two sides onto manicured lawns. The room was further enhanced by a wonderful bathroom - also with paintings, statues and trinkets to make you feel as if you really were in someone's home.
We were so excited we ordered two double gin and tonics room service (£24 for the two but what the heck - we were in paradise) and booked a table in the beautiful old restaurant for that evening.
At dinner we had the Table d'Hote menu which was also well worth the money. £37 for three courses including amuse-bouches. The food was well cooked, beautifully presented and with the help of a really friendly waitress we felt there was nowhere else in England we could possibly be better pampered. In fact the only hotel in the world we felt came near was the Hilton in Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo - which is some praise!
I would love to end this story on this upbeat note and say that of all the places we have ever been and all the meals we have ever eaten - Chilston Park was the winner.
However we had forgotten that this hotel caters for weddings and receptions. It is an old house. One bar and seating area is located at the bottom of the oak staircase below our bedroom. Outside our bedroom window was located one of the reception rooms in which wedding receptions are held - and there was another behind us.
The noise of a singer rose through the floorboards until possibly midnight. This was overtaken by loud laughter and cackling from the bar areas, the receptions, even outside on the drive. Lots of people having lots of fun. Loudly. Until 3 in the morning when we decided to put the light on - give up on sleep and just wait out the night.
We are not killjoys but if you are not involved in the parties and do want to sleep you have to accept that is not going to happen.
Sadly our breakfast in the morning was as spectacular as our dinner the night before. Good service, marvellous choice - amazing.
As we checked out I said to the receptionist we were sad to say we had not managed to sleep because of the noise - we would love to come back but needed to know if we were just unlucky in the choice of our bedroom.
She said it was an old house, all the bedrooms were located within earshot of the reception rooms and bars and so all were the same. She said that when we booked through HandPicked hotels we should have been warned that this was a busy hotel and we may experience noise until the early hours.
My husband cannot remember being told when he booked not to expect to actually sleep!
So sadly - although I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to hold a reception or wedding - you could not pick better - if you are a couple looking for a nice relaxing weekend take earplugs.
We would dearly love to go back but think it would have to be midweek having checked with the hotel itself what was going on first!

Room Tip: If you want to quiet night's sleep you must find out what else is going on at the hotel when you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JDuchesne

Dear Guest
It is delighting to read that the vast majority of your stay was an excellent one with many high points. However It is equally disappointing to read that after delivering such a high level of guest care throughout the hotel your stay was so heavily impacted by noise from events taking place at the hotel. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this disappointing aspect of your stay. I will certainly take this feedback on board and ensure that our room allocation procedures are being followed at all times.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Fantastic hotel, and staff, nothing to much trouble, everything was clean, I lay on Queen size bed in the evening and did not want to shut the blinds, as the view was so good, we will be going back as soon as possible with friends to show them all and this time walk around the estate abit more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your wonderful review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is quite a difficult hotel to review as in many ways they have it right. The staff are generally warm and friendly and the public areas are pretty spectacular. The hotel is like many country house hotels in that they have rooms in the main house as well as in converted coach houses adjoining. We had a room in the coach house which was a very short step from the reception. First impressions were good, friendly check in although it was slowed down by the receptionist also taking two phone calls while dealing with us. We were offered help with our bags but as there were no stairs, we were happy to carry our own.

Our room, Hawksmoor, had its own front door and faced onto the conference/events building. The room was small but nicely decorated. However it was VERY stuffy. We couldn't open the one opening casement and we discovered that the heated towel rail in the bathroom was switched on with no way to turn it off. We asked reception to get maintenance to deal with the window and in the meantime wedged the front door open to ventilate the room.

We found the standard of maintenance in the bathroom very disappointing. There was a pressed steel bath (how old fashioned) which had big chips out of the enamel, the mixer tap on the basin was free floating, which meant that the pop up waste wouldn't work, and the carpet on the two steps up to the bathroom was loose, constituting a trip hazard.

We were booked in for afternoon tea as soon as we arrived so we headed for the lounge and waited around for 10 minutes until we were spotted and seated. The quality was mixed. The sandwiches were fresh and tasty but the scones seemed quite stale.

Back in our room, the window problem hadn't been fixed so we headed to Lenham for a drink. The room was untouched when we returned later in the evening, so we dug out our trusty desk fan to try to cool the room down. This did have the benefit of masking the noise from the room upstairs, which was considerable, and also from the conference room opposite. I have to say that I think we got off quite lightly on the noise front reading other reviews.

We left a list of issues with reception the following morning and were offered a change of room if they couldn't fix the problems. It was a shame this wasn't offered when we complained the previous day. Breakfast was ok but very slow considering only two tables were occupied.

When we arrived back at the hotel later in the afternoon the heating and ventilation problems and the tap had been fixed so we stayed with the room. We had the table d'hôte menu in the hotel restaurant which we enjoyed - however it was nothing exceptional.

Unfortunately breakfast the next day was quite poor. The service was slow, the black pudding tasted as though it had been deep fried in rancid oil, the bacon was fatty and had white salty residue over the meat and the scrambled eggs were tough. Finally to add insult to injury, the toast was distinctly overdone.

The setting of the hotel is what you would expect with extensive grounds but the noise from the nearby motorway is not conducive to a peaceful and relaxing stroll in the gardens.

We kept comparing our experience to another 4 star country house stay in Suffolk (see my recent reviews) and I'm afraid Chilston Park suffers badly in comparison. We would not return.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachael B
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met, please accept my apologies. The nature of your review is certainly different to the many positive ones that we regularly receive and naturally I will place a great level of importance upon your feedback with the team. I am aware that the maintenance issues you have mentioned were all addressed prior to your departure from the hotel, though I accept that these should have been picked up prior to the room being let. This is something that will be addressed with my Head Housekeeper directly.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
Gareth Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
#8 of 17 in Maidstone
The Black Horse Inn
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!