“Tastefully presented country house hotel in magnificent grounds”

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Wakefield UK
“Tastefully presented country house hotel in magnificent grounds”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night here and would have loved to stay longer. Ben the food & beverage manager was very attentive to us and other guests and helped us to really enjoy our stay. We will return next time we are in the area

• Stayed June 2013
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will look to stop off here again in the future. It is also wonderful to read that Ben, our Food and Beverage Manager had such a positive impact upon your stay. I will be sure to draw his attention to your comments.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Gareth Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Chilston Park Hotel is not only a hotel it is a haven, a retreat from the world in another world. The surroundings were VERY relaxing, the manor sets you back in a time of prosperity and glamour and the service makes you feel like you own the place. I will definitely return for my anniversaries!

Room Tip: ALL the rooms are quiet and each room is unique.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this amazing review, we are delighted that Chilston Park could be the venue for your special day. The team here really enjoyed hosting your event and welcoming your guests to our hotel.
We do hope that you pay us a visit again next time you are in the UK.
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had our wedding here on the 26th April and i have been meaning to leave our review, so here goes. The week running up to the wedding we had a couple of issues but once discussed with the Manager he offered his apologies and did what he could to put my mind at ease but i have to say I had my concerns. Our day went with out a hitch it was truly the best day ever simply the best, great food, great service and we wouldn't change a thing. Hats off to you Kerrin you were fantastic everything was just as requested you even turned the little room around for the oldies as the main room where our disco was was too loud for them, and they loved it. We had the coach house package so our closet family and friends also stayed at the hotel that night and we all met for breakfast. Many of our guest commented on how lovely the food was and what lovely rooms they had had. So all in all a fab stay. The only negative comments i received was that the milk provided in the rooms was sour, i can vouch for this as ours was too, and my advise for those booking here is to say go for it but if like us you have a couple of issues pre wedding day ask to speak to Gavin as he will as promised look into everything and ensure everything runs smoothly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your special day here at Chilston Park. I of course remember playing apart in ironing out a few details prior to your event and am delighted that one the day your expectations were fully met by Kerrin and the team. Naturally I am apologetic that you and your guests suffered from some issues regarding milk in your rooms and I will of course look into this with my housekeeping team.
Once again thank you for your review and I wish you all the best for your future together.
UK
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Chilston Park hotel is located in a little sleepy village called Lenham, a perfect place to stay if doing a little sightseeing (Leeds Castle is a 10 min drive away) or simply wishing to get away for a while.

Hotel check in was smooth and we were shown to our room, a cosy space called 'Keats' Room - the room was well maintained and a relatively large size with a big bed and TV as well as various teas and coffees. The bathroom was also very nice with everything well decorated (and working - apart from the bathroom door which you had to pull sometimes to get it to close properly). The bedrooms and hotel are very fancy and we enjoyed staying in a more 'fancy' hotel than usual. The grounds too are lovely, with large areas to wander around as well as playing tennis, boules, giant chess or giant jenga. On the other hand you could simply enjoy a cup of tea outside.

I think the breakfast itself (which was included in our SecretEscapes deal) was the best bit - continental breakfast with different juices, toast and a selection of hot meals to go with your tea or coffee - they even provided soya milk if needed and veggie sausages which is great (means I didn't have to miss out on an amazing farmhouse breakfast - yum!).

Overall I can definitely see why many people hold their weddings here - truly a beautiful venue!

Room Tip: Keats was cute and cosy - I would definitely recommend requesting this room!
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful time. It was especially positive to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering so much. This menu has recently been re-lunched and i am really pleased with the feedback we have received on it to date.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I do hope that you choose to stay with us again.
London
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. It's a beautiful building but a bit tired and could all do with a lick of paint. Our room was clean but again very tired, and the bathroom was uncomfortably cramped. You pretty much stepped out of the shower onto the toilet brush. Yuk.

We dined in the Culpeper and both really enjoyed the food. However, the room was stifling hot and it wasn't even a particularly hot day. We found the same at breakfast. We were too uncomfortable to enjoy the food and just wanted to get out of there asap. Other guests were saying the same. The serving staff were friendly and pleasant but all a bit bumbling. There seemed to be long waits for everything and they seemed to be busy doing nothing in particular. It wasn't very busy so some training is obviously required.

We stayed on a deal which made it all a very good price, however, I would have been disappointed if we'd paid full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to us here at Chilston Park. I am sorry that not all aspects of your stay met our usual high standards and we will certainly use your experience as a measure of how and where we can improve.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my partner in a standard mews room 'Austen'. I was particularly looking forward to it as i had seen some great reviews from other guests. On arriving there were 2 receptionists, one started off helpful then halfway through checking us in took a call and signalled someone else to take over the check in. Seemed a bit rude to not apologise or maybe get the other receptionist to answer? Anyway not really bothered by it we were shown to our room and it was a nice room. Not as big as expected but it did have all the facilities you would need, iron & board, tea and coffee, toweling robe etc. These were very good.
We went to the restaurant for dinner and although the little touches were extra special (lovely fresh baked breads) the actual dishes were dissapointing for this type of establishment. I had particular difficulty with breakfast when my 2 poached eggs still had runny whites, no one apologised just took it away and brought another one a bit later. Not really the type of service you expect. Although we hadnt booked direct with the hotel we got what we thought was a good deal, in hindsight it was still very expensive and i dont feel it was worth that amount.
Having said that, this was a nice hotel and it feels like a very special place with a bit of grandeur. Maybe it just wasnt the type of place for us but i couldnt give it a score of 'average' because it certainly isn't.

1 Thank DanielleButton
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to record your experiences on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that overall your stay rated as very good, I therefore trust that you enjoyed your stay. I must also thank you for highlighting a couple of areas in which we can focus on for improvement and I offer my apologies for the impression that our reception team gave you on arrival and the quality of our cooked breakfast. I will certainly share your comments with the team with the aim of improving on these aspects of our guest experience.
Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I recently stayed at this lovely property for a short conference. The hotel is very nice with excellent staff - they really work at the service ethic - the lady who runs the breakfast service is quite superb.

The restaurant food was also of great quality and clearly cooked with real passion. Presentation was excellent.

However all this was let down by two nights with no real hot water - My shower never got above a moderate warm - I also heard of other guests who complained about water temperature - so clearly they have some issues to address. In a hotel of this type it is simply unacceptable. Sadly when I left the receptionist did not seem too bothered that my stay had been badly impacted by this problem. Shame as it would have been excellent.

Room Tip: The hotel is relatively near to a major road so ask for a quiet room with hot water??!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
I am very sorry that your stay was marred by issues you have described with the water temperature supplied to the shower in your room, please accept my apologies. I was made aware of the issues that you encountered during your recent two night stay by the receptionist who checked out your party. I apologise if the impression given at the time was one that you did not expect, but can assure you that my receptionist was very concerned by your comments and raised them immediately. Since receiving this feedback we have taken action to rectify the situation in this one room that suffered an isolated issue by replacing the thermostatic shower control unit. I hope that this action illustrates our commitment to tackling issues that are brought to our attention in a speedy and effective way.
From your comments I understand that all other aspects of your stay met with your expectations and I thank you for these very kind words relating to these aspects of your stay.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your colleagues back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#2 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!