“The best food I have had for a long time.”

The Corner House Minster Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Minster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At the Corner House, we believe in serving quality British food in relaxed surroundings. Our menu changes frequently, depending on the seasonal availability of ingredients and all dishes are made from scratch including the pasta, bread and ice creams. We also source all of our ingredients locally where possible.
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Great good value food and service from this new restaurant.Matt deserves to do well.fabulous.will definitely be going again

1  Thank Rook2309

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Have seen this advertised and wasn't sure about going but reading the sample menu decided I had to try. Booked online -which was incredibly easy- and we were warmly greeted when we got there. Choice of starters made it hard to decide but eventually went for the crab and avocado guacamole, soft light and delicious. Partner went with the special of whitebait and he was very impressed said it was the best he had eaten since NZ. Mains agin were difficult to decide. It went traditional and had braised venison and mushroom pudding with cabbage. What a treat. Partner had steak and tripled fried chips and again was not disappointed. Good choice of wine was also available and although we ordered a 2nd bottle they had run put. But they came back with a choice of wine that was close to our original. Great to know that they knew enough about their wines they were able to advise another. Dessert-where to begin. Decided to have the cheese board and the homemade biscuits that came with it were to die for. Cheeses were very good and the homemade port jelly with a hint of cinnamon that accompanied the cheese was wonderful. All in all a delightful night and will definitely go again.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is what eating out is about - independent, locally sourced produce, and mouthful after mouthful of different flavours. Yum.

Having lived in Paris and worked in the wine trade, I have enjoyed some quality restaurants and The Corner House is right up with the best. This is real cooking, none of this 'chain gang' rubbish, and is extremely affordable.

My friends and I tried all the snacks - particularly enjoying the nuts and sausage roll. To start I had the ham terrine with homemade mustard mayonnaise. A beautiful dish to look at with the jelly just screaming 'eat me'...and so I did. Marvelous. I also tried the ravioli (again homemade) before moving on to the main event. Between us we tried the loin of cod, the sea bream 'en papillote', and the ravioli (main dish) with a buerre noisette sauce. The cod was fresh, succulent and chunky, and i'm quite sure the peas were fresh - definitely makes a difference. The sea bream was so moist thanks to the cooking method - simple and effective - and with some hints of fennel and lemon as it was eaten, the voyage of flavours I mentioned earlier, continued. The ravioli was again homemade (sorry Jamie, but this is just as good, maybe better) and the beurre noisette was rich, but correct.

Desserts - where to start? Quite simply the best Bread and Butter pudding Ive ever had - try it when you go - and the homemade ice creams......one of those chains mentioned earlier describes its coffee as 'the best this side of Milan'... replace 'coffee' with ice cream' and The Corner House could claim the same.

Well done to The Corner House team. I can't wait for my next visit - I just 'wish you were here'.

1  Thank LewisHenry
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a fantastic meal at the Corner House. We decided on the sharing platter for starters which had a fantastic selection. Highlights for me were the homemade bread, wonderfully flavoured parfait and the delicious hockham terrine... not to forget the stunning mussels in cider and chilli for main... YUM! The staff were fabulous, friendly, great banter and the chef Matt was on top form. Will certainly be going back, I need to work my way through the whole menu!

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been to The Corner House a few times now, & by & large, I've been very impressed. The homemade bread was delicious, as was my mushroom ravioli. However, the highlight of the night was the amazing ice cream; I had brown bread and also honeycomb.

The second evening I went was a Saturday and it wasn't quite so good. I had a butternut squash ravioli this time, & unfortunately, it was very oily. There was also a mix up over our mains. But as the first meal I had there was so good, I can put this down to nerves/early days, perhaps.