“A Weekend Near Tamworth”

Best Western Appleby Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Appleby Magna
Minehead, United Kingdom
“A Weekend Near Tamworth”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent the weekend at this hotel as part of a tour organised by Blakes Coaches of Tiverton

The Appleby Park is a hotel complex just off the M1 it is largely intended for the commercial traveller. It is modern clean and the reception and public areas are clean and appealing.

The hotel rooms are of a good size with all the amenities that would be expected for this type of hotel, the only thing that I could see was missing was a trouser press. The room was well heated and it was really quiet which was really surprising seeing how near it was to the M1.

As we were staying at the weekend the choice for the evening meal was a bit limited but the food was excellent service at this serving was also quite good as well. Breakfast however was self service with the food haphazardly arranged, as there weren't any trays provided I had to make several trips up to get each breakfast course.

The staff were excellent and very friendly and helpful and they worked very hard a couple of extra staff on duty would have made a lot of difference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IanPBasingstoke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Myself and two friends stayed here following a day at Champneys Spring (which is literally 5 minutes up the road). The rooms were quiet despite being so close to M42. They were a good size with plentiful supplies of tea, coffee etc.The beds were comfortable and my only slight criticism was that the bathrooms could do with a bit of upgrading decor wise. We only had breakfast here which I have to say was very good.
Free wifi - just ask at Reception.
We chose not to eat at the hotel on the evening as we had spotted a good Indian Restaurant about 5 minutes up the road (Three Counties). Having been quoted a taxi charge of £14 to get there we at first opted to forget it but having put a call out to the restaurant they did in fact pick us up and return us back to the hotel following an excellent meal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice hotel....very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are nice, have exactly what I needed. Quick cab ride to the train. Breakfast was good, and plentiful. Dinner menu is OK....nice to have free Wifi (ask for it at check-in).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paisley
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here for one night and had booked it at the last minute as it was very cheap and usually with best westerns you get a good standard of accoumodtion across the board. We were not disappointed. the location ws super especially as heavy snow surrounded the place so being right off the motorway made it more accessible. Upon driving up to it with heavy snow all around and few cars in the car park it did resemble the hotel in 'The Shining' but that's where the horrors ended.The staff within were very friendly and check in was very pleasant. the restaurant was closing early to allow staff to try and get home but the staff were happy to help direct us to a lovely Indian restaurant nearby. the rooms were fine not large but fine and the bed was very comfortable. The place was spotlessly clean and great for the price paid. Breakfast the next morning was disappointing very poor not a lot of choice and what was on offer was left to go cold but that may have been our fault for not asking for fresh supplies as were were keen to check out and get on the road to do the job we were done to do.Overall great wee hotel for the money paid ideal if looking for a place to stop over but not sure it's somewhere I would like to spend more than one or two nights at most as the main lounge areas were a bit soul less but fine for say a business trip.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed to be good rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, Staffordshire, England
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I booked a couple of days at the Appleby Park Hotel as it was VERY reasonably priced, and in a convenient location as a jumping-off point, just off the M42/A444. We paid in advance for the room, and when we arrived, it took just a couple of minutes to be checked in by friendly and polite staff. We also obtained two vouchers for the free WI-Fi service.

First impressions were that the place did seem to be clean, free of any nasty smells, and tidy. Some of the paintwork could have done with a fresh lick, and I suppose the recent harsh weather had a lot to do with the slight traffic discolouration on carpeting by open doorways. I also noticed every member of staff we encountered said hello first, and behaved in a friendly and polite manner.

This very secluded hotel appears to function mainly as a conference centre, is of open-plan design and is mainly ground floor rooms - our room was in one of the outer sections and was very quiet.

The room layout was the usual one of washroom to one side, then small wardrobe, leading to the main bedroom. All seemed quite clean, neat and tidy. A decent sized flatscreen TV was directly opposite the bed. A small kettle, tea and coffee was also present. The shower enclosure was a large double-sized one with a very powerful shower complete with body jets!

Proper blackout curtains and the outer proximity of the room meant we enjoyed a very quiet night; probably the quietest I have ever experienced in an hotel. We have got into a habit of taking our own pillows, which was a good thing as the hotel ones were, as usual, heavy-duty solid ones.

We returned from a short visit to nearby Ashby de la Zouch and chilled out for a while, before taking advantage of the restaurant/bar facilities. Whilst waiting for our table, we ordered drinks, but unfortunately had to settle for bottled beer as a pump fault knocked out the draught beer taps.

Undeterred, we sat down for our meal, at one of many empty tables in the restaurant area.
The lighting was way too bright - almost daylight bright, and the tables although clean, could have benefited from a tablecloth and some sort of table decor.

At this point, we both wondered if we had done the right thing by eating there. Thankfully, we need not have worried, as the food was far better than we had expected or hoped for. Very tasty, hot and of good qauntity. I actually remarked to the waitress that the chef was probably too good and it was a shame he was under-utilised!

In all, our two day stay was very relaxing, the free Wi-Fi was most welcome, the staff polite and the food was much better than the restaurant surroundings. Shame about the lack of draught beer!

We will stay here again, for sure!

Room Tip: Any room at the far end from the entrance doors is going to be very quiet. The whole hotel is in a v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

First of all I must say I did not have breakfast or dinner here, so my rating is for Room Only!!
Check in was efficient, room was very spacious (I upgraded to a King Size, Cost £55).
Everything very clean, large comfy bed (softer than a Premier Inn but comfy anyway!)
Nice Large TV, power shower in bathroom excellent, toiletries provided.
WiFI was free, apparently, but when I tried to log on it asked for £8 for "1 session". Not knowing how long a session was for I did not connect.
On asking the receptionist when checking out she said it should have not asked for this, and she could have given me a free voucher.
Anyway, I had 3G on my device so was not essential.
I think the process of paying is similar to others of its type, but my credit card was needed to take a deposit online, then swiped again on arrival as "security", then final payment taken on checkout. I much prefer to pay on arrival so I can get away quick in a morning, but thats just me.

Room Tip: My room on the North side, low to no signal on Orange network.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve U
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked for workshop for 12 persons
Before arriving looked at the hotel website and was pleased that it highlighted that we could enjoy live sporting events on sky while enjoying meal from the menu or the specials board
When asking will the footy be on was told no Sky !! Not for a few years. When ordering evening meal no sign of a specials board ! Also no Steaks Burgers and the battered fish was Scampi. I went for the Gammon. It was very poor with chips and tinned veg
My guest went for the pie with puff pastry which was full of tough meat out of a tin with again tinned veg
They never came to see if we wanted a desert. My kind boss ordered some wine to go with dinner this was on the table as we arrived but no glasses!
Breakfast was also very poor tin fruit tin tin mushrooms and fatty bacon!
A lunch was provided before we set of a long journeys home. Again very poor with little and desert was about 40 minutes later and to be honest the poorest cheese you could imagine

• Stayed January 2013

Travelers are raving about these Appleby Magna hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby Magna
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 2 in Ashby de la Zouch
Hermitage Park Hotel
Hermitage Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Coalville
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Been to Best Western Appleby Park Hotel? Share your experiences!