“A lovely place with character”
Review of The Northey

The Northey
Ranked #2 of 7 Box B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Just returned from a one-night stay at The Northey Arms, which was thoroughly enjoyable and reasonably priced. There aren't many nice places in this neck of the woods who will accept a one-night stay at weekends - just the Friday night - but the Northey Arms not only did so, but offered a special bed, breakfast and dinner package for £199 for two people which we thought, given the standard of food and accommodation, was good value. Food first: dinner from the main menu, three courses, no restrictions on choice and every dish we had (there were four of us) very tasty and perfectly cooked. Breakfast was excellent, full English and even a request for burnt sausages was met! Service from the young staff was charming, polite, efficient. If it were possible to give 4.75 stars I would, but I had to deduct a little for one or two less than perfect aspects: our room (2) overlooked the main road and despite double glazing was a little noisy , and the bathroom, which was huge, seemed to have been designed by someone who had never actually used a bathroom -no towel rails near the washbasin (it was a long trek to the other end of the bathroom!) and a bit mean on toiletries. But these are very minor imperfections, and I would definitely recommend the Northey Arms. The village and the area are absolutely lovely and there's even a bus stop right outside if you want to go into Bath but don't want to face nightmare parking.

Room Tip: I would try to avoid the rooms right next to the main road, but the traffic wasn't so bad that I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I am really sorry leave this review......

We visited The Northey a couple of years ago for one of their charity nights and the food was amazing! However we returned last night with friends and the food was absolutely dreadful.

I suffer with dietary requirements which I ran through with the waitress who was extremely helpful and checked with the kitchen and they confirmed they could meet my requirements. Our food came and unfortunately my food was not as discussed so my meal was returned to the kitchen.

I had to wait for my meal to be rectified while the other 3 in our party had to eat their meals or their food would go cold.

My meal came out for the second time and what a disappointment! The chicken had absolutely no flavour to it and felt like it had been blasted in a microwave. The chips were under cooked and the bacon was pure fat and I could not chew it, very embarrassing!

My partner had a similar issue with his steak. Very poor for a steak that cost £27!

Did we complain? Unfortunately we didn't because we didn't want to cause embarrassment to our friends we were dining with as they chose the restraunt.

To make matters worse I am typing this review from my bed where I have been all day as I am unwell today. Unfortunately I believe it was the meal last night.

Will I return? Sadly I will not be returning to this restaurant again until they realise the seriousness of not understanding dietary requirements!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AbnJay
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Visited The Northey Arms on Mothering Sunday, after hearing great reviews from friends. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by friendly,welcoming and warm staff, who considering how busy it was, were very efficient. We didn't feel the need to write a review after knowing it has such a great reputation, but after reading the below review, we felt it really didn't do the Northey justice.

The food was to an incredibly high standard, very flavorsome, waiting no longer than 10 minutes for starters and 20 for mains. Which for the standard and busyness of the restaurant, we thought this more than ok.

The young staff working are a real delight and credit to the business. Making us feel welcome and unrushed throughout the visit. My grandmother, who is a tough cookie to please, left with a smile on her face!

This place is definitely worth a visit, please do not be put off by previous reviews, will be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz W
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I cannot complain about the food which we received the evening my parents stayed here. However, I found the service cringe worthy; over hearing staffs personal conversation whilst I am sat at the bar was uncomfortable to say the least. Members of staff had feet on seats after signing out and then lingered behind the bar until they were asked to leave. Awful!!!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank GraceM92
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Early evening meal for first visit here after sightseeing in Bath-no reservation (it gets busy!) but accommodated in an attractive relaxed restaurant. The 6oz sirloin steak was full of flavour, as was the delicious Sticky Toffee pudding and good coffee to follow. There is a romantic bar area with sofas and subdued lighting, also tables by windows for diners.The chefs were great with the artistic presentation of fresh food, and sauces showed culinary skills. We came back the next night too!! Dont hesitate to book here. Thanks to all the lovely staff for a nice evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy406
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Staid here for 2 days whilst on business in Bristol. I could have found a hotel in Bristol but recently been fed up of the generic chain hotels all looking the same so wanted something different which I certainly found at The Northey.
The room I had (No.2) was elogantly decorated to a luxurious standard and despite overlooking a busy road it was surprisingly quite as was noise from other guest rooms.
The food in the bar was very well prepared and evidently came from fresh ingredients and not badly priced either considering the standard and amount.

However all of the above could easily be ruined if the service wasnt there but fortunatley the manager and his team are on the ball and it couldnt have been better.

Overall the experience was excellent and I wouldnt hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: No.2 is very spacious and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ant_onlineuk
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had not booked a table and had to wait an hour, but it was well worth it. The steaks were to die for, if only we had got room for dessert because everything that went past our table looked scrummy. If we are in the area again, another visit will be a must. Keep up the good work chaps!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KarenJoyce_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Box
Guyers House Hotel
#3 of 4 in Corsham
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Bailbrook House Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to The Northey? Share your experiences!