“Fantastic Food, Failing Service”
Review of The Northey

The Northey
Ranked #2 of 7 Box B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food, Failing Service”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I cannot complain about the food which we received the evening my parents stayed here. However, I found the service cringe worthy; over hearing staffs personal conversation whilst I am sat at the bar was uncomfortable to say the least. Members of staff had feet on seats after signing out and then lingered behind the bar until they were asked to leave. Awful!!!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank GraceM92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Early evening meal for first visit here after sightseeing in Bath-no reservation (it gets busy!) but accommodated in an attractive relaxed restaurant. The 6oz sirloin steak was full of flavour, as was the delicious Sticky Toffee pudding and good coffee to follow. There is a romantic bar area with sofas and subdued lighting, also tables by windows for diners.The chefs were great with the artistic presentation of fresh food, and sauces showed culinary skills. We came back the next night too!! Dont hesitate to book here. Thanks to all the lovely staff for a nice evening.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy406
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Staid here for 2 days whilst on business in Bristol. I could have found a hotel in Bristol but recently been fed up of the generic chain hotels all looking the same so wanted something different which I certainly found at The Northey.
The room I had (No.2) was elogantly decorated to a luxurious standard and despite overlooking a busy road it was surprisingly quite as was noise from other guest rooms.
The food in the bar was very well prepared and evidently came from fresh ingredients and not badly priced either considering the standard and amount.

However all of the above could easily be ruined if the service wasnt there but fortunatley the manager and his team are on the ball and it couldnt have been better.

Overall the experience was excellent and I wouldnt hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: No.2 is very spacious and quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ant_onlineuk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had not booked a table and had to wait an hour, but it was well worth it. The steaks were to die for, if only we had got room for dessert because everything that went past our table looked scrummy. If we are in the area again, another visit will be a must. Keep up the good work chaps!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KarenJoyce_12
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

For a pub hotel it is very good - a lovely building and very nice bar/restaurant. In many ways it is a four star venue but, for me, there were some glaring errors, just little things that mounted up:

The TV remote didn't work.
The heating had turned the room and bathroom into a sauna.
There was no air con and no fan when requested.
I wasn't told anything on check in (wi-fi code, breakfast times etc)
As it is a pub, the noise is an issue.
There is a busy road to one side and a train track to the other.

None of these things deterred from a good nights sleep (ear plugs!) but, what will always stay with me about the Northey is the hilarious bathroom:

It was boiling, as I said before, close to a sauna. The shelf above the sink was the perfect height and depth to crack your head on every time you bent down to wash your face. But, the real highlight are the eco friendly lights- they go off after approximately a minute unless they detect movement. The flaw lies in the fact that the shower doesn't come under the detector's range- so... you're all lathered up and then plunged into darkness- you have to leave the shower, wave your hands around like a loon and get back in, only for the same song and dance to play out a minute later. I found this very amusing and there is one other circumstance where it keeps plunging you into darkness but I will leave that to the imagination as it isn't for polite reviews like this.

So, a decent place to stay and the bathroom provides some entertainment.

Room Tip: Bring a torch for the bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank dukeofbeeston
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

As my fiancé was joining a hen weekend in Bath early on Saturday I booked a stay in the Northey via Venere - £92 for the Deluxe room - for the pair of us two weeks ago. The only negative of the booking was a confusion over the dinner booking which I'd requested in the Venere "other comments" section but hasn't had a response from - a quick phone call to the hotel on Thursday evening sorted that out with a late table duly booked.

We arrived a little after eight and experienced the initial confusion mentioned by others as there is no reception as such - and on Friday night the bar was packed (we later learnt that they had over a hundred bookings for dinner with some tables having three patrons over the night)... but once I'd identified we had a booking we couldn't have been dealt with better - Thanks to Emma for showing us to the room, explaining everything in an informative and professional manner before returning to her front of house restaurant duties.

We had time for a pre dinner bath - most welcome as we'd arrived via a two hour post work drive... The water was hot and deep with excellent toiletries provided... we had time to chill and chat whilst drinking two excellent coffee's courtesy of the rooms Tassimo machine. The bath robes were a good size and the slippers even fitted my size nines!

Our table was ready when we went down, it was adjacent to the bar but didn't feel crowded despite the constant ebb and flow over the next couple of hours. The wine list wasn't the longest I've seen but did contain enough options to make choice interesting. ?. We settled on a Malbec which arrived after five minutes whilst we had time to choose our options from the Valentines night menu...I mentioned earlier how busy the restaurant was so it's perhaps not surprising that some things were all gone - for instance I had to forego dauphinois potatoes for chips - but as they were the best tasting chips I've had in many a long year there was nothing to complain about...I'd opted for a rare rib eye, my partner went with the sea bass and chorizo - both were excellent following respective starters of moules and buffalo mozzarella... we almost agreed on dessert - pear tatin with salted caramel ice cream (though I opted for extra ice cream without the tart)...

We slept well in the long size bed and in the morning enjoyed the Tassimo again, for Twinings Breakfast tea before showers in the large walk in cubicle then downstairs for breakfast in a less busy restaurant area... suffice to say that the cooked breakfast was not a disappointment... delicious tasting mushrooms complementing both the locally sourced thick cut bacon and the very delicious paprika flavoured sausage.

We'd not been to the Northey before but will certainly consider it for future weekends away...top notch

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vince W
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night & can't fault our stay at the northey arms. The room was lovely, it had everything you needed including a coffee machine which was a great addition. We ate in the restaurant, the food was delicious, I had sea bass & my boyfriend had chicken which we both enjoyed. We shared a pudding which was a generous portion for 2. It was easy to get into Bath from here & the staff gave helpful advice on where to go & park etc. I would stay here again if visiting Bath.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Uttoxresident
Also consider these accommodations in or near Box
Guyers House Hotel
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Beechfield House
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre

Been to The Northey? Share your experiences!