“Lovely B&B -Great Location”
Review of Lorne House

Lorne House
Ranked #1 of 7 Box B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for visit to Bath and local area. Room was large with comfy king size bed and modern wet room Breakfast lovely with lots of choice. Jackie was very helpful with directing us to great local pub, The Northey for dinner, terrific food. Great location for visiting Bath,on site parking allowed us to leave the car and just half an hour to Bath city centre on local bus.

Room Tip: worth paying for a deluxe room, one double room (not the one I stayed in), which I assume is a stand...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed a night at Lorne House in May 2013. The house has been well restored and is in excellent order.

Our room was on the first floor and was very neat and clean. The bed was wonderful and comfy and we had a great night's sleep. The decor was lovely and the room was supplied with lots of teas, coffees, hot chocolates and biscuits. The wet room was of a good size with a great shower. Breakfast was nice with a range of options. The lady serving the breakfasts was particularly friendly and helpful and gave us some good sight-seeing tips for the area.

The house was the childhood home of Reverend Wilbert Awdry and its close proximity to the rail line was said to be his inspiration for writing the Thomas The Tank Engine books. A great find and I recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank runsammie
Reviewed April 15, 2013

When I say pricey, it's in keeping with most of the accomodation round here - that said I can't really fault the house or the room, other than the room being a little on the smallish side. However, the adjoining wetroom is very chic, and the shower superb. Cant get used to sitting on a square toilet though - seems a bit, well square. I now understand why conventional toilets are shaped the way they are!! But 10/10 to the owners for flying in the face of traditionalism and trying something bold for this type of house.
Parking is limited in a smallish driveway at the side - there is another property just at the bottom of the driveway, and if the owners cars are there it's very very tight to turn around. That said there's a doctor's surgery next door and you'll be allowed to park on it outside the working hours of 9 - 5:30. So my advice would be to do this if you can. I was unaware of this until I'd parked in the driveway.
Breakfast is as high a quality as you'd expect for an establishment like this.
I'd be happy to stay here again - however being on a tight budget and having to pay my own expenses - it would have to be only occasionally. If you have your expenses paid though, Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Teesee1962
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My friend and I enjoyed a lovely nights stay at Lorne House over the Easter weekend. as the cost was fairly reasonable we didn't have particularly high expectations but we were very pleasantly surprised to find picture perfect Lorne House in beautiful Box village excellently located for accessing Bath. The b&b has been very tastefully furnished throughout and our room was lovely - fantastic decor, a wonderful wet / bath room and the most comfortable bed. The owners were very friendly and helpful before and during our stay helping us choose restaurants, booking taxis and advising on bus schedules. We enjoyed a wonderful meal at The Northey just a short distance from the b&b and appreciated the 10% Lorne House guest discount. I left with two regrets - we should have driven straight to the b&b and taken a bus from there directly into Bath rather than navigating the crazy city centre traffic (never again!). And we should have stayed an extra night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mgeorgiou
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This B+B impressed from the start, very friendly service from the hosts in a nicely decorated house.

We stayed in room 1 (double) which had a great decor, comfy double and an amazing wet room. (Marked in the photos as the Dickens Room). The breakfast was great, in a stylish breakfast room.

Would fully recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days. The owners Fran & Mike are very friendly and helpful. The room was very good, clean, comfortable, superb wet room. The vast selection of tea, coffee and chocolate and biscuits in the room was also a nice touch. Ample opportunities to find good food within walking distance and very handy for Bath and other slightly further afield towns and sights such as Stonehenge.
Will definitely go back if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2013

As a 50th Birthday treat for my mother, I wanted to take her to the Thermae Spa in Bath, followed by Afternoon Tea.
After spending a good four hours looking for reasonably priced hotels in Bath, I was stumped. The lowest price I could find for one night (and for a decent looking place) was at least £200. Maybe because it was Mother's Day weekend, or maybe just because it's Bath.
So I broadened my horizons and looked at B&Bs as well. Then I came across this great little find - Lorne House in the nearby village of Box. After having a look on their website, I was quite happy to see such lovely looking rooms and such reasonable prices - between £65 and £180.
So I quickly decided to book up the twin room, costing just £95!
On arrival, we were greeted by the owner, who was very pleasant. First impressions were great - the house had obviously been refurbished to a very high standard, while the bedroom was so cosy!
The bedroom was absolutely immaculate, with good quality bedding. My only complaint would be that the pillow was a little too firm, but this is down to personal opinion, and we were also offered feather pillows.
The breakfast was also delicious - I had grapefruit and peach slices, followed by a poached egg on toast - not on the menu, but the chef seemed more than happy to cook it for us.
I have recommended this hotel to my friends and family - if you want luxurious hotel standards at a fraction of the price, then this is definitely the place to visit.

Room Tip: I didn't see any of the other rooms - we were in the basement twin room, and I couldn't faul...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SayHelloToDanny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Box
Methuen Arms Hotel
Barn House B&B
Barn House B&B
#4 of 7 in Box
Woodlands Guesthouse

Been to Lorne House? Share your experiences!