“Little Gem In The Countryside”

The White Hart Hotel
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fareham
“Little Gem In The Countryside”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My boyfriend & I (21 & 24) have just returned from The White Hart after a suprise weekend away (boyfriend booked everything). I am quite fussy with where I stay, but was pleasently suprised with The White Hart. Located in the small Country town of Wiveliscombe, its a lovely quirkly pub with several rooms available.

Staff - very helpful, polite and courteous. We sat down to eat on our first night and a large group came in asking if they had a table for 9? This appeared to be no problem and they had space set up straight away.

Food - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, We could not fault ANYTHING with the food, yes they ran out of some bits, but its all locally produced & quite often had the stuff back in the following morning. Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice of cereals then you are given toast & offered the chance to have a full english. Alcohol was reasonably priced and the food was always piping hot & presented extremely well.

Room - It has all them items that you require, however it could do with a bit of tlc. There was some wear and tear and could have done with an update, but this isnt the sort of place you stay in your room. I would suggest using the hotel as a base for exploring as there is loads to do in the area!

Overall I would recommend this to anyone & we will be returning if we ever want a mini break where we know we can get a good nights sleep, decent food & nice hosts!

• Visited September 2012

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Very good selection of dishes at a very reasonable price. The chillies in the Wiveyburger took me by surprise though.

Visited May 2012
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Simon Says.....”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We chose Fathers Day lunch to be spent at The White Hart in Wiveliscombe and enjoyed the range of food that was on offer .... I had the scampi, whilst the two people that I was with had the Wivey burger and the chicken with a bed of basil spaghetti..... all meals were served on a different style of pure white crockery and were nicely presented and piping hot ..... My golden mound of succulent scampi were accompanied by an ample portion of chips, a separate ramekin of garden peas, a tasty dressed mixed salad and a good amount of sauce tartare with a lemon wedge..... The Wivey burger was a home made beef burger of ample size in a fresh bap with either blue cheese or cheddar and had a nice selection of salad and onion .... this was also with a good portion of fries and a side salad.... The chicken on a bed of basil spaghetti was a nicely cooked chicken breast in a tomato and basil sauce on a bed of spaghetti ..... All three meals were well served and of good quantity and had the three of us feeling full and satisfied after consuming the entire plate full ..... I did however find room to enjoy a pecan creme brulee and my step son managed the lemon tart with raspberry ice cream which we both enjoyed..... The three meals along with copious amounts of wine, Guinness and Cola along with a Jamesons whiskey came to a little over £62 which was, I felt, a fair price for excellent food , friendly service and a calm and relaxing atmosphere on Fathers Day .... Well done to Simon and staff for this experience.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Julie1950
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The waitress was outside smoking and not available to take our order, so eventually I ordered at the bar.
We were the second table to order but the kitchen had run out of 'locally produced' burgers (on a Saturday night?).
When I went to order the drinks (we had already ordered our food) I discovered a specials board that we had not been told about - the waitress grinned at me and said ' oops, I forgot to tell you about the board'.
I had fish - it was cold (but meant to be hot), apparently to be served with green beans - although there were none on the plate.
Steak and ale pie was watery.
Coffee was pale yellow water - which was re-supplied on request.
Bill was incorrect - we were overcharged.
Food was average.
All of this is a pity as what Wiveliscombe needs is a good local eatery. The pub is nice.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Louisa G
Dorset UK
“Good local pub”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Good value food in lovely village location. The pub has good local trade which helps to generate a busy atmosphere.

Visited November 2011