“easter monday lunch” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Holcombe B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“easter monday lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was very dissapointed with the service on my last visit to the Holcombe Inn, I was accompanying a blind man and we found the staff were not at all accomodating to this kind of disability. The waitress showed us to our table and kept forgetting to bring our drinks over, when we eventually got some water, half an hour later, we were told the water was turned off. The waitress didn't know the specials or the menu very well, and half the things stated on the menu for the lunch dish were missing off the plate, when paying high end price you do not expect this. When asked to help a blind man cut up his lunch he was given a filthy look and the manager walked away disgusted with her nose in the air! There is no customer service at this pub and we will not be visiting it again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 16Jo_AnneS16
africa9680, Owner at The Holcombe Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am delighted to respond to this review to warn other restaurants about these people so that they can take quicker action than I did. We were completely taken back by the appalling behaviour of these people and at a loss as to what to do at the time. In hindsight I should have asked them to leave at the onset because of the terribly abusive behaviour.
I was first alerted that something was wrong in the restaurant from the customer shouting obscenities across the room at members of staff in an uncontrollable manner. Several other customers who were also dining in the restaurant were also appalled and asked if we would like any help in any way. The man seemed to quieten a little when the food arrived but after eating two thirds of the meal shouted for a steak knife to cut a very tender piece of pork tenderloin. I took him a steak knife with a smile hoping to alleviate the situation, he shouted at me "cut it up!" in a horrible aggressive manner. The much younger woman he was with just carried on eating. I said I would not cut it up for him, because of the terribly bad attitude. To this he said, " why not, are you useless?!" To which I obviously walked away. It is not fair for any member of staff who try very hard to provide a great service to be treated like this but at the time I did put it down to illness, if I thought the behaviour was for any other reason I would have asked them to leave. All the other customers when paying their bills commented on how rude and disruptive this customer was.
The water had been turned off so there was a delay in providing your tap water, this was out of our control.
Everything stated on the dish was on the plate and clean plates came back to the kitchen.
If any other restaurants would like a description please contact us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have stayed here a few times now and have been really pleased with both the b&b and the restaurant.
1stly the location is a little out of the way, but, it is close enough to Bath and Longleat to be a good base to explore the surrounding area. We are happy to drive so not a problem for us. Infact, we like the fact that it is in a quiet rural area.
The b&b side of things is very good The rooms are large enough, very comfy, great individual decor and kept very clean. Breakfast is really good.
The food in the restaurant is good, with enough choice to keep you thinking for a few nights.
We will go back.....

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, but, the rooms at the rear have a great sunrise, whilst the rooms at the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RandCChes
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Holcombe Inn is a great hideaway with beautiful 5* accommodation which you cannot fault.

Four poster bed, homemade cookies, proper filer coffee, fantastically comfortable bed and roll top bath - pure luxury.

Ate in the restaurant and the food matched the accommodation both in the evening and with a quality breakfast.

Although we didn't use them there are umbrellas and wellies to borrow for walking and free Wi-Fi.

Like I say, cannot fault it and have booked to stay again. First class!

Room Tip: Anyone of them are made to a high standard. If you want a bath in the bedroom, then go for Africa.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasper050
Uffculme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my third visit to stay with 'Team Jules' and my second for business. Booking by telephone was effortless and check in uncomplicated on my arrival. On this occasion my room was 'Champagne' (see below) having stayed in Pemberley (business) and Africa (pleasure) previously. A classical looking room, great bathroom with fantastic personal touches and an excellent shower all helped me to settle. After enjoying a cafettiere of coffee in my room and a complimentary homemade cookie, I was able to get a table for dinner and enjoyed a warm pear salad and loin of rabbit. The service was personal and prompt as was the breakfast (see below) the following morning. Check out was painless too and I was set for a day's work in the Mendips. I would heartily recommend the Holcombe Inn to anybody (and often do). I will also look for another reason to return for a fourth time.

Room Tip: If you've had to park behind the inn make sure you wipe your feet thoroughly to avoid staining t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Atbest
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed in Hunters room which was spotlessly clean and cosy room. It has a large bathroom with an excellent shower and luxurious freestanding bath. We ate both nights in the restaurant, food was excellent and staff friendly and helpful. Good position for visiting Bath and Wells. Overall very relaxing weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jan889
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

live local but my first visit, fantastic food, i am very fussy and comlain if i have to, the food was so tasty, even the side salad was scrummy and im not a salad person, lovely people, nice warm fire, felt really comfortable, highly recommended and this from a cook, it must be good

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank twiglet07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holcombe
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton
The George at Nunney
The George at Nunney
#1 of 1 in Nunney

Been to The Holcombe Inn? Share your experiences!