“A welcome surprise on our doorstep”

The Lamb at Angmering
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Angmering
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Lamb at Angmering, is a grade II listed Hotel and Gastro Pub dating back to 1775. It was closed in September 2011 and relaunched in April 2012. Purchased from Punch Taverns by the Newbon Family, The Lamb is back in private hands for the first time in 125 years. The Lamb at Angmering has been reborn, its renovation has provided 8 beautifully decorated ensuite bedrooms with wifi, a wonderful bar with a Charles II fireplace and an excellent restaurant using locally sourced ingredients under the control of Executive Chef Richard Cook. The Restaurant gained entry into The Good Food Guide 2016 edition. The Lamb at Angmering lies 2 miles from the sea in West Sussex, it is the ideal place to stay for Goodwood and Chichester 12 miles, Rustington 2 miles, Arundel 4 miles, Littlehampton 4 miles, Worthing 6 miles and Brighton 18 miles. We are just a mile away from the beautiful Ham Manor Golf Course.Our restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We live very locally and before now have had to go to one of the reasonable (but not great) restaurants in Arundel. Someone recommended this to us and so we made a booking for our 20th wedding anniversary - we weren't disappointed. Food and service were excellent, and the general feel of the place was buzzing and friendly.

We will definitely return.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have a family connection with Angmering and three years ago six of us, all second cousins from around the UK and Australia, came to this Sussex village to explore our joint family history and especially our link with The Lamb Inn, as it was then called. We were horrified to find it in the passively destructive couldn’t-care-less hands of Punch Taverns and the least said the better (pre-packaged meals in gloopy gravy, ice cold disinterested management). Our great great grandfather Thomas Wilkinson, a local legend known as Old Wilkie, had been licensee for almost 60 years in the Victorian era, succeeded by his son, so the inn was in our family's hands for over 90 years (long before I was born) and was noted for its food and its hospitality. And so it is again – now owned and run by a local family (no connection with any of us) and how well they have done it. We stayed the night – understated chic luxury in the rooms, very comfy beds, larger than average sized shower, free WiFi – so we had dinner and breakfast.

There was much on the menu (the set meal and à la carte) which I could happily have eaten. Mussels were plump and succulent; the Thai broth well judged with enough of a hint of spice to warm me up after an icy day walking along the Brighton sea front but without overpowering the mussels. Braised beef shin was rich and hearty, balanced by a sweet, silky swede and carrot purée and the crunch of roasted baby onions. I asked for tenderstem broccoli instead of the smoked garlic mashed potato that comes with the dish – only because I thought I should. It was bright green and al dente, just as it should be, but more importantly the substitution was done with pleasure. Service here is top notch – even essential interruptions when we were in mid-chat were done gracefully. We shared a bottle of house red, a French Vin de Pays d’Oc. Cheeses followed, all local and delicious, especially a Sussex brie which was creamily rich and full bodied, prettily served on a long wooden platter with a miniature jar of home made chutney, plenty of oatcakes and a few tiny sticks of celery. Their decaff coffee is one of the best I’ve had (often it’s an undrinkable waste of money).

Breakfast (included with price of the room) was also first rate – in content and presentation. Smoked salmon was generous; the scrambled eggs dotted with black pepper and supported by lots more of the very good decaff. I had plate envy, though – my cousin chose the full English and I commented that I’d never seen it better presented or such lean bacon, a generously fat sausage, a thick slice of black pudding and a large field mushroom with a perfectly poached egg.

I’ve already told others of my cousins that they must visit The Lamb – to eat and to stay the night – and I will be back, with them and without. It is hard to find decent places to stay in the country and The Lamb is perfect for people who want to avoid the bustle of Brighton or need to be near Goodwood or Arundel. If you are lucky to have a personal connection, too, it’s an even more charming and cosy home from home. By the time we were ready to leave, it was filling up with brunchers and lunchers from the village and, like us, from far out of town. The Lamb is very much back on the food and hospitality map – and how pleased I am, with such personal links with its history, about that.

Room Tip: The best room is Old Wilkie - named after my great great grandfather Thomas Wilkinson - with a view over The Square but all offer boutique chic comfort.

1  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

As a frequent visitor to Angmering over the 20 years since I moved away from the village, I was worried that the refurbishment of the village pub to attract more diners would tear out its soul, as has happened in so many cases.
However, the Lamb has struck the perfect balance, providing first class service in the restaurant and food so impressive, it is attracting trade from miles around. Yet they have managed to retain a very good bar area with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, whether you choose to sit at a table or relax by the open fire with a pint from one of the local breweries, which are usually on tap.

In the restaurant the choice of courses will get the juices flowing and will cause frustration because you will want to try everything. But whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed, because the standard of food is just delightful.
Rather than describe my meal in detail, I simply urge you to book your table to experience what people who obviously love creating food can achieve, in an atmosphere which is comfortable, friendly and intimate without being intrusive.
Book early though, or I'll be there instead of you.

Congratulations to the new owners, and thanks for breathing new life into the village centre.

1  Thank Chockybic
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Superb food, excellent service. My only criticism is that the menu was so varied I couldn’t make up my mind.
My personal recommendation Mussels in Thai Broth. Mussels were large and succulent. The broth was delicious – sour and spicy, a change from the bland imitation Thai so often served up in the UK.

1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I have dined at The Lamb twice since the refurbishment, most recently one evening in January. Staff were curteous and polite on arrival, and offered to take our jackets which had become quite wet from the rain. As soon as we were seated we were offered some water for the table and our drinks orders were taken. I chose a glass of the house red and wasn't disappointed; my fellow diners opted for some of the locally brewed ale which was also very good. We started off with a portion of bread and olives which for only £3.50 had quite a large amount of plump olives and very tasty bread. Next were our starters and I opted for the mussells, which were cooked to perfection in a delicous broth. For my main course I had the shin of beef which was so soft and just melted in my mouth, and was accompanied by a gorgeous creamy mash. After both courses I was quite full but couldn't resist trying one of the desserts, so had the chocolate and orange mousse which was beautifully presented and tasted great too. The final bill came to about £45 per person and that was including the service charge, which was easily justified as our waitresses made us feel very at home and looked after us so well. This place is a little gem and I am already looking forward to my next visit!