“The Lamb so rare was bleating”

The Lamb at Angmering
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Angmering
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Lamb at Angmering, is a grade II listed Hotel and Gastro Pub dating back to 1775. It was closed in September 2011 and relaunched in April 2012. Purchased from Punch Taverns by the Newbon Family, The Lamb is back in private hands for the first time in 125 years. The Lamb at Angmering has been reborn, its renovation has provided 8 beautifully decorated ensuite bedrooms with wifi, a wonderful bar with a Charles II fireplace and an excellent restaurant using locally sourced ingredients under the control of Executive Chef Richard Cook. The Restaurant gained entry into The Good Food Guide 2016 edition. The Lamb at Angmering lies 2 miles from the sea in West Sussex, it is the ideal place to stay for Goodwood and Chichester 12 miles, Rustington 2 miles, Arundel 4 miles, Littlehampton 4 miles, Worthing 6 miles and Brighton 18 miles. We are just a mile away from the beautiful Ham Manor Golf Course.Our restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had great expectations of the Lamb, having read the reviews here on TA, including the one by the local lady who's 6y old son wasn't allowed in and who turned up 5 minutes before closing time expecting the full service. Well that speaks for itself IMHO and I saw this as a positive and encouraging sign. In my day pubs were adult establishments where the under-aged were strongly discouraged and prohibited by law. Nowadays isn’t the best place for a 6y old to be taken out to eat, MacDonalds, KFC or Burgerking ? I'm sure 6y olds themselves would much prefer these sort of ‘restuarants’. Personally I don't want kids around when I go out for a meal in an adult environment; our children are now grown up and we would never have dreamed of taking them to a sophisticated place like the Lamb when they were that age and risk spoiling the pleasure of other adult diners out for a kids-free evening. That off my chest, what about the meal?

Full marks for ambience and a very pleasant waitress who was new but nevertheless got through the specials description very well. We were a party of four and all meals and wine were very good and enjoyable, except I regret to say for the lamb special main course which two of us chose. My wife said when it arrived at the table, she could hear it bleating it was so rare. I was reminded of the Clint Eastwood film in which, asked how he liked his steak, Clint said "Just wipe its ‘back side’ and lead it in". I do actually prefer steak well done with no pink, not 'point' (rare) as they say in France; the same for both of us who chose lamb. It would have been helpful if the waitress had given us the usual option of 'how do you like your lamb?' on ordering, but she didn't and we didn't think to ask. Why is lamb an exception to this tradition and the question only asked for beef steak ? We immediately asked for it to be cooked again but on its return the whole plate appeared only to have been just put under a warmer in the kitchen for a few minutes and frankly neither of us who chose the lamb enjoyed it very much even after the re-heating. Isn’t it funny how after complaining, the previously pleasant waitress seemed to have less time, smiles and eye contact for our table.

The lamb ‘special’ itself was served sliced on a bed of Rissotto which was rather bland and didn't enhance the experience, rare or re-heated. The hostess, to be fair, did deduct one of the meals from the bill, together with a coffee and desert as remedy for our disappointment, which we accepted at the time bringing the cost down to just over £35 per head for three courses, wine and coffee. I would be happy to return to the Lamb on our next visit to the area on the strength of everything else despite this experience, although I suspect our guests who are local to the area, may need persuasion.

2  Thank davowolf
QuestorLee, Owner at The Lamb at Angmering, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

We did find this review a little strange. It first appeared a few days ago awarding the establishment 4 stars. It was, for some reason, only known to the reviewer, removed and appeared again yesterday with a mark down to 3 stars and an additional criticism leveled at one of our staff. Perhaps the reviwer had a bad nights sleep and decided to give us an extra bashing!
We found all of this a little confusing as the reviewer remarked early in his review of the restaurant that 'all meals and wine were very good and enjoyable except I regret to say for the lamb special'. This dish, as the reviewer described was served too rare for the reviewer and another member of his party. The reviewer and his party found everything else to be 'very good' and the reviewer 'would be happy to return to the Lamb on our next visit to the area'.
We would be delighted if he did visit again, we are sorry the lamb was served too rare for him and another member of his party. We would like to thank him for pointing out we should have asked those having the lamb special how they would like their lamb cooked at the ordering stage. This is normal practice for us and we have taken steps to ensure this question in not omitted from the ordering procedure again. We were wrong not to ask, it clearly put a damper on the reviewers evening and although we made credits to the bill this can never make up for a disappointing main course. However I can assure the reviewer that the lamb was not and never has in our establishment simply been 'put under a warmer in the kitchen'. It was returned to the pan.
With regard to the new piece of criticism that has been added to the review. 'Isn't it funny how after complaining the previously pleasant waitress seemed to have less time, smiles and eye contact for our table'.
The waitress took the complaint about the lamb to our general manager, at this point we tried to ensure the party was given additional attention . Credits were issued on the bill and apologies made . The server in question is a most charming girl and did all she could to ensure the reviewers party were looked after for the rest of their time in our restaurant.
Any complaint at The Lamb is taken most seriously and we are confident we made a considerable effort to try and rectify matters. Again we are sorry our ordering procedure was not up to scratch, mistakes that early on have an effect on the rest of our customers evening, we thank the reviewer for pointing out the error, it will not happen again. We hope we have the opportunity of serving the reviewers party again, we are so sorry it put a damper on your evening with us.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good fine - a great place for supper - a sort of gastro pub with locals.
Met up there with a group of ex work colleagues - a total of 8 diners. Sat at the oval table at the end of the restaurant with plenty of space. This was their largest table - I think we could have got 10 on it - maybe 12 skinny people at a pinch!
Good discreet service with an interesting combination of new fangled and traditional stuff on the menu. Half the table went for specials (pleasantly surprised the waitress told us the price when she was describing the dish), jugs of tap water provided with a smile to wash down the wine and everyone enjoyed their food.
I had the prawn roll to start which was generous with the prawns - my husband had a Scotch Egg with a difference - both good.
For mains: I had pan fried cod loin, parsley crushed potatoes and cockles - lovely taste with none of the crazy fad for smothering it in oil. Husband had the local beer battered fish, hand cut chips, mushy peas, tartar sauce £12 - recommended. I stole some chips so I know there were more-ish and no scrimping on the tartar sauce for once!
I cancelled the diet and went for the chocolate tart - could only manage half of this as too chocolately for me - should have ordered more chips instead!!
Would go there again.

1  Thank Buneville
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We live in Angmering so did not need to stay there. We booked a table for 7 people to celebrate our son's 30th birthday and were pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and helpful and the ambience was excellent. It was a Saturday so was very busy. Service was a little slow but that is to be expected I suppose on a Saturday. The food was good if a little pricey but would like to have seen a little wider choice i.e. lamb, chicken or another beef dish maybe. Dessert menu did not have much choice on it either so we just stuck with the cake we had taken in. All in all a wonderful restaurant and we could see how much the new owners had done to the Lamb Inn which is the centre of the village. Well done and we would recommend and would return for a special occasion.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Why isn't this just a great pub with food that we all want to keep going back to. Compare Green Man at Partridge green. At the lamb Lunch is a modified version of main menu. Sandwiches I prefer to pick up not have to eat with knife and fork based on two large slices of crusty bread with fillings. Would prefer to see jacket potatoes or pasta or basic lunch items. Having said that I have no complaints about food but if this were a really good pub with great food I would go once or twice a week but not for special rather pretentious sometimes food. We shall go back but probably four or five times a year instead of twice each week .

2  Thank Bugsie M
Reviewed November 10, 2012

On our way back from Southampton, we stopped for lunch at the above as is was Sunday Lunch time, and we fancied a Roast dinner (lunch). The lamb was very busy but the Manager managed to get us in (just), and I was very grateful because of the time. We had the roast beaf, and lamb, and the lunch was first class, good well cooked food, well prepared, and very good service etc. we also had a delicious sweet, including white chocolate and rice-cake.
The whole experience was a very good one and the bill was very fair for what we had. !!!
When we are in this area again, at lunch-time we will be back. Paul and Joan Bennett