“Perfect getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burpham Country House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burpham
Burpham Country House
Ranked #1 of 2 Burpham B&B and Inns
surrey
“Perfect getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed at this perfect little getaway hidden in countryside. Amazing break from the hustle and bustle of city life! Food was to die for and cooked to perfection (myself and my partner are very fussy eaters) and our plates were empty by the end. The wines were excellent as well. We will recommend this guest house to all our friends and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Regards
Katie and Matthew Dale

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

I stayed in a standard room in July 2008, and thought this small country hotel was wonderful. The owners have refurbished the place from end to end very tastefully in a modern country style that pays homage to the house's Georgian origins. The restaurant is a marvel, and they source much of their salad and veg from their own gardens, which they have planted with lavenders and roses as well.

We were made to feel very welcome, and contrary to the previous review, we loved the honesty bar- it had lots of choice of wines and Arundel bitters, and prices were very reasonable. And, of course, we could help ourselves at any time! I think the previous review was unfair- no-one should expect to bring their own booze to a small hotel and use glasses, trays and so on without paying a small fee for the service.

And Fat Lucy, the house cat, is a tourist attraction!

• Liked — The small country house feel and friendly ambience
  • Disliked — The long country lane
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Sheffield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

Do not believe all you see on the website, this hotel is not as good as it appears. Therefore, I feel I am compelled to write a review on this hotel.

Where do I start?
1. My reason for staying at Burpham Counrty house was because my friend was getting married near to the hotel in Arundel, not at the hotel as the website would lead you to believe (see: special guests - photos of the special events that have happened at our hotel). THE FINN WEDDING IN THE PICTURES ON THE WEBSITE DID NOT HAPPEN AT THIS HOTEL. Instead the groom was told by the owners that it would cost him 10 pounds corkage for the bride to open a bottle of champagne he had brough with him for the morning of her wedding day - disgusting!

2. The bride booked practically the whole hotel for her guests at the wedding. I was under the impression that the hotel had been newly refurbished, however the dated interior and the stale stench of cat made me think otherwise. first impressions: Not that good!

3. The honesty bar - honest - yeah right. You can't help feeling that by charging nearly 5 pounds a glass of cheap wine and 3 pounds 50 a shot of gin form an alcohol stash direct from France - we might be getting ripped off by a not so honest hotel bar!!

4. The breakfast...for a hotel which prides itself on its wonderful restaurant, I would be wary that if you get the same service received at breakfast,(a grumpy waitress which finds a glass of too much trouble), that your expectations for dinner may not live up to the websites description

After reading all the reviews on this hotel and the praise that it has received I feel that my thoughts, opinions and findings are of importance to anyone booking this hotel.

There are some lovely cottages just down the lane called the Thatched Barn where the grooms wedding party stayed, these are fantastic and much cheaper. In my opinion this hotel is not worth the prices it charges. Look around!

• Stayed June 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Morgan1805
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

A little gem tucked away in the sussex country village of Burpham. Set in a beautiful location surrounded by open fields and a sprinkling of picturesque cottages, complete with local village pub and church at the bottom of the lane.

The owners, Jackie and Steve make you feel very welcome in their home and have hospitality down to a fine art. Great food, luxurious comfort and your very own private bar (well almost!),
and all at a reasonable cost....what more could you ask for? Perfect for anyone old or young, wanting to get away from the stresses of every day life.

Just 5 minutes in a Taxi or as my wife and I found out just over an hour's walk across the sussex downs is Arundel, with it's historical Castle and Cathedral (both well worth a visit). There are also a selection of antique type shops and a handful of pubs and restaurants to wet your appetites.

We can't recommend Burpham Country House highly enough and hope to return again in the future......'A little Gem'

Chris and Kim Brown.
Kent.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — no negatives
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KentBrownie
Hartford, Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

Four of us traveling together chose to let someone else take care of us as we got over our jet lag. Steve and Jaqui made the choice just right. They were welcoming, providing comfort, great food, cheer, sightseeing advice and did I say great food. A little off the beaten track, Burpham village has a great pub and wonderful walks over the South Downs. Just go.

• Liked — Location and the staff
  • Disliked — one track driving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

We were made to feel so genuinely welcome and special during our stay at Burpham Country House Hotel that I have been inspired to write my very first review. So here goes... its going to be superlatives all the way from a Trip Adviser Review virgin - ..

Our delight started the moment we turned into the lane that leads to Burpham Country House Hotel. It begins just beyond the castle at Arundel and wends its way through proper English countryside - you know the sort , edged with banks of primroses, blue bells and wild garlick; the type of landscape where lambs skip in the evening sunshine and fat partridges strut unhurredly in front of your car. It reminded me of the best scenes from the "Darling Buds of May" series on television and provided an exquisite appetiser to our arrival at Burpham.

Burpham is small - it has thatched houses with sort of straw pheasants on the top- a really old church , a pub, a village hall, a cricket ground and a superb hotel. Burpham Country House hotel was formally a rectory and whilst it retains that dignity, it also has great 21st century comfort and elegance. I enjoyed learning that one of the former vicars was a historian of some repute who invented hitchhiking.Now that's the sort of information that the average hotelier would never tell you. However, there's something really refreshing about Steve and Jackie Penticost , the hotel owners( I hope their names are spelt correctly). They have retired from the world of business to create the hotel and restaurant of their dreams and they are certainly suceeding. I will tell you about their food in a moment but first the hotel.

We arrived and walked through a huge porch into the reception area. The hotel is like something out of a magazine,,,,,elegant shades of grey and white with a quirky mix of antiques and odd things that the owners clearly love. We were greeted by Jackie who let us know that during our stay everything would be done to make us as comfortable and welcome as possible.

Our room had a four poster bed and was very spacious with an eclectic mix of old and new furniture, a superb limestone en-suite and lovely little touches. The best things fo were- the view from the window in the shelter of the Downs; the cookies in our very own biscuit tin and the absolute tip top quality of the linen ( oh dear I must be getting old). It was so peaceful and quiet I had the best night sleep in years.

We were shown the former croquet lawns and kitchen garden where Steve and his chef can just nip out from the kitchen to gather the herbs they need. We had to be careful not to disturb a beautiful dove with its 3 chicks though. Amazingly, this mother has built its nest just in front of the dining room window- a great diversion between courses.

We spent anenergentic day rambling aroung Burpham and its surrounding country side . We had decided to eat in the hotel restuarant - a great decision. We liked the fact that before eating there is a particularly comfortable lounge with honesty bar; where we could make our own gin and tonic and meet with other guests. This openess is a real feature of the place. We chatted to some Australians whilst we sipping who said Burpham was the best place they had stayed in the UK- proof I am not the only enthusastic person!!!!

I really could not make my mind up what to chose from the menu so Steve came to tell me a little bit about each of his dishes. He is so passionate about his food - he has collected a pedigree stable of local producers,e.g, Sussex cheeses, local bacon, local sausages etc etc. and uses their finest to concote his culinary magic. To start with I had local crab dressed with shrimp and home made lemon mayonaise with two sorts of home made bread -one of which was caremalised onion foccacio.Steve told me he had collected the crabs himself ;freshly boiled that morning from Littlehampton. After agonising between a local lamb dish,or a sort of stuffed pork tenderloin thing I opted for local fish caught that day. It was a shame to spoil the concotion when it arrived it looked so wonderful - its a shame I can't remember what sort of fish it was. This was rounded off by the most heavenly pudding I have ever had -home made ginger cheesecake with a rhubarb sorbet. I was amazed to find that Steve even uses a local cheese called Cowslip Cream cheese to make it with. Not only was it sublime it was also a perfect end to the meal. Steve came to talk to each of the diners, to ask them about their meal and even gave me a recipe card with his pudding on.....
I am not even going to try to make it - I just can't wait to return to Burpham Country HOuse hotel. Thank you - you provided a real tonic to two very weary visitors. We will be back.

• Liked — the overall experience - the relaxed yet professional atmosphere - we felt this hotel is going places
  • Disliked — we liked everything but maybe the car parking next to the hotel could be extended
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

As Yanks who travel to the UK frequently, we decided to strike out for the Sussex countryside for a bit of rest and relaxation. We found the Burpham Country House through an internet search and liked what we saw. Our expectations were far exceeded.

The hotel has obviously been recently refurbished. The grounds, common areas, and our room were clean, tastefully decorated, and comfortable. Steve and Jackie, the owners/operators, were very welcoming and hospitable, directing us to local sites and walks. Even Lucy, the corpulant house cat, was hospitable with a friendly grace of her own.

Did I mention the food? We ate two dinners and breakfast (which is included in the cost of the booking) and every morsel was delicious, seasonally appropriate, and innovatively plated.

After paying London prices for lodging and food, we were delighted at the value we received. We strongly recommend all West Sussex travelers to make the short drive to Burpham and enjoy a stay, long or short, at the Burpham Country House.

• Liked — Ambience, Food, Friendliness of the Owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burpham
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping
Amberley Castle
Amberley Castle
#1 of 2 in Amberley

Been to Burpham Country House? Share your experiences!