“Lunch - Oh yes! As good as ever.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burpham
Burpham Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Burpham B&B and Inns
Worthing, West Sussex
“Lunch - Oh yes! As good as ever.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I love this place. The owners are so kind and warm but I want to focus this time on the food. I wish I had written this straight away, but it has now been a couple of weeks since I was there and the details will escape me! My wife and I popped over from Worthing for lunch (our anniversary - we got married in Burpham). I enjoyed a G and T in the guest lounge - think the wife ordered a glass of wine with her meal as she was driving (hurrah!). Miriam ordered the mezze as her main course and I ordered the plaice. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so good. I cannot fully explain how good it was here - just take my word for it. It was a real winner! Perfectly cooked fillets of plaice with a glorious "stuffing" - the details have now gone (shame!) - it was such a glorious dish and I loved eating it - a wonderful moment. It was so carefully prepared and presented and I encourage everyone who loves food (and fish) to give this a go. Get there asap - if it's on the menu. Michael will cook what is seasonal and what is on offer through his local providers - I think his fish comes from the fishermen in Littlehampton.

I seem to remember us ordering three desserts - a panna cotta flavoured with something from the garden - Miriam knew all bout it and loved it - as I did! We also ordered a selection of local icecreams and finished with an affogato - giving us that lovely coffee kick at the end of the meal.

The warm-hearted and wonderfully skilled owner and chef, Michael, came and chatted with us - I celebrated that glorious fish with him - what a master! - and we talked about life in general...and the teaching profession (wife and I are currently in it).

To be honest, I can't summarise here how lovely our lunch was. It was fabulous. The food was exceptionally good - especially that fish. If you want to treat yourself and enjoy a meal that rewards you for treating yourselves (so often we are disappointed and think - could have done better at home) - get over to the Burpham Country House. It delivers every time. I love it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
snappergirl, Owner at Burpham Country House, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thanks, Steve and Miriam, for the lovely review, good to see you back again. At the risk of being churlish, I thought we should point out to the readers that my Steve was doing the cooking throughout. You didn't list what you had to drink, but clearly it made you hallucinate fictitious chefs called Michael. As to all your other comments, we are grateful and humbled, and we look forward to seeing you back here again. Although I may call you Dave.

Cheers from Jackie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have stayed at the Burpham Country House on several occasions, that says it all. Jackie and Steve are super hosts, along with the cats! You always receive a warm, friendly welcome and know that you are going to have a relaxing break. Locally sourced produce, along with the passion that Steve has for food, sums up the super food that you will find on the menu. The rooms, we have sampled four different ones over the years, all of which are of a very high standard, comfortable and quiet. If you want more than just to relax, the area around has plenty of attractions, including, we have been told, some lovely walks to take in the South Downs.
Jackie and Steve, we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at Burpham Country House for one night on a break from London. The house is a beautiful country house and the bedroom was very comfortable. It is ideally located to go walking in the South Downs, which we really enjoyed. Breakfast was wonderful. It was the perfect place to escape the city on a short break.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a really nice little country house hotel. It's glorious on a sunny summer's day, in a quiet location, with delightful gardens and lovely views. The restaurant is good for dinner and breakfast, the bar runs on an 'honesty' basis, and our room (Room 2) was very comfortable. One small niggle is that the bathroom window cannot be opened. We will return.

Room Tip: Have room 2. Four poster bed and lovely views over the downs towards Arundel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I recently moved to West Sussex for a change to more relaxed and rural lifestyle. By Walking out from Amberley on the South Downs I found this beautiful little retreat in the heart of the South Downs Village of Burpham.

Jacqui and Steve are really wonderful hosts who have become good friends and are always looking to improve their Hotel and Restaurant and provide first class hospitality and individual attention for their visitors.

Steve is a fantastic cook and provides fine dining of a high quality with individual flair and attention to freshness of produce, gentle but interesting flavours and presentation.

I would recommend a visit to the restaurant both for the dining experience and for the wonderful ambience of the Hotel and surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Sorry, I cannot comment on the accommodation, as I have not stayed in the Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just returned from a Saturday night away in the Burpham Country House. I'd recommend this hotel for a couple looking for a relaxed, very comfortable weekend away with good food. The building is charming, a former Vicarage with a lovely garden. We had Room 2, with a comfortable Four-poster bed, very spacious and well furnished. The ensuite had no bath but had a nice shower, etc & was beautifully tiled & very clean. There are two lounges, very comfortable & the restaurant is good. There was plenty of choice, but not too much, so you felt confident the food was freshly cooked. Breakfast was excellent, not an extensive buffet, but a good choice of freshly cooked fare, with an emphasis on local quality produce. There is no bar as such, you help yourself to a limited choice of drinks in one of the lounges & there is an honesty box. The village of Burpham is a walk up the road & is very attractive with a church & what looks to be a good pub, but is currently under re-furbishment. This means that there is no alternative to the hotel for food nearby so I'd recommend booking the restaurant at the time of booking the room in case the restaurant is full. This nearly happened to us & had they not found space for us we would have been faced with a drive to Arundel for dinner with all the problems of not being able to drink very much. There are walks nearby on the South Downs & bicycle hire, plus the coast & Arundel castle are not far. We'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mammasita_12
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

After a gruelling 2 week tour all around the UK, all we wanted to do for our final 2 days was relax. Jackie and Steve at Burpham were the most gracious hosts and their warm home helped accomplish our goal to relax splendidly. This room, #6, was by far the best room we had out of 7 different locations on our trip. It had the most comfortable bed, with a sitting area and a lovely bathroom with a soaking tub to relaxin. Grab a bath bomb at the local card shop in town before heading back to your room. The house was built in 1720 so it had some quirks -- like the windows with the giant spider in the window hole... but that just added to the charm. There were modern conveniences though: like the fact there was a separate wifi network on the third floor to ensure a signal... which was important given the Duke of Norfolk won't allow cell towers on his land and cell reception stinks out there... Not that I wanted to be contacted anyway.

Our hosts, Jackie and Steve made the stay doubly pleasurable. Steve being the chef for breakfast whipped up lovely meals and they had strong drip coffee instead of that nescafe crap everybody else had. Jackie is just a hoot! I felt like I was staying with my favorite aunt or something versus complete strangers. They were welcoming and had some lovely suggestions on what to do and where to go. Steve is a photographer. Since we like taking pictures, he suggested an hour's drive to the Seven Sister's park (white cliffs...). Jackie was mortified at how far he sent us and their exchange made me laugh and laugh... There's not much to walk to from the country house, but there's a hospitality bar that is very well stocked with good wine and a couple single malts even. The lounge was plush and the cats (I normally hate cats) were endearing. Lucy and Smudge. The gardens were a great place to drink a glass of wine and journal about my trip.

This is the kind of B&B I seek out and put on my list for places to return to when I just want to escape the world. There isn't much to go on holiday in this part of England for in my opinion... antiquing and a superior castle in Arundel are about the best things going in this town... but the level of relaxation Burpham provided trumped any need for one more second of castle and cathedraling. Walking through the door of this old parsanage/hunting lodge took any stresses and tension from the world outside immediately away. I hope to return to this one...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Smallwerld
snappergirl, Owner at Burpham Country House, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Steve has not stopped calling me 'Aunt' for days, how embarrassing. LOL. Many thanks for your lovely review, though. We appreciate all the feedback, even if you did notice Charlotte our house spider. Come back soon!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burpham
The Swan Hotel
#5 of 7 in Arundel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Burpham Country House? Share your experiences!