“what a find”

The George at Burpham
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Burpham
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This unique 17th century Inn houses a wonderful British restaurant and pub. You'll find it at the heart of the delightful Sussex village of Burpham, just 4 km from historic Arundel, surrounded by the glorious South Downs National Park. The menus are classic “best of British” food with a modern twist. Everything is home cooked with the freshest seasonal ingredients, locally sourced where possible. That means the specials menu changes all the time, so your tastebuds will always be delighted. Open for lunch 12-2 or 12-3 weekends, and from 6pm for dinner. Great wine menu and local Real Ale. This is a very family friendly place; well-behaved dogs are welcome to sit under the table in the pub area whilst you dine. Groups, weddings and private parties love it here and come back year after year. Bookings are recommended especially for Sunday lunch as it's always very busy.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“what a find”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Found the george by accident and will definately go back excellent service young
waitresses very helpful and pleasant as was the gentleman who wellcomed us in
we only had coffees and a soft drink and I had a really nice sandwich and chips
nicely presented and a lovely ambience about the pub also nice to see dogs are
Wellcome as well also very impressed with how clean the loos were I always judge
a place by the care and attention of the facilities will certainly go back for a full
meal when in the area again

• Visited April 2014

“What a revamp!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I've been here before, albeit a good few years ago. Finding ourselves with a spare Saturday and not much to do we headed in the direction of Arundel and I came up with the brilliant idea of visitng the George. My boyfriend has never been before so had no expectations.
When we got there the car park was full to overflowing. Bracing ourselves for a 'sorry, no room at the Inn' we were fortunate to secure a table. (Lots more people arriving after us did not fare so well.) I had a glass of the NZ SB and my boyfriend had a local real ale - both very good. I ordered a burger and my partner opted for the cheese and potato pie. The homemade pork scratchings sounded far too enticing for their own good and were every bit as delightfully delicious as hoped. There was a lengthy delay with our food coming out - the kitchen was obviously very busy but the burger was worth the wait. The pie came with fresh tomato pieces inside which we didn't recall seeing on the menu and for my vegetable-despising other half, weren't a welcome surprise! That said, they were very easily extricated and the dish was still good.
Wonders have been worked on this place - since my last visit it has received one heck of an overhaul and is absolutely beautiful. We shall definitely be back but shall ensure we book so that we're not disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank kj2709
“Country pub excellence”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Absolutely excellent food, a warm, friendly welcome and lovely atmosphere in an idyllic village setting. A great place to visit for the food or stop by for a drink on a sunny day and soak up the beautiful location. Superb roasts on a Sunday aswell as other great choices, and great classic puddings done exceptionally well. Everything I look for a in great English food pub.

• Visited March 2014
London
“Lunch”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Really good pub food, excellent service and atmosphere. The decor is nice and there is a good selection of beers and wines.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming, wonderful food, will come again.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My friends Stuart, Doone and I arrived intent on having one of The George's excellent steaks each. We were warmly welcomed, and we stopped at the bar for a quick drink whilst we looked through the menu. And there on the menu was "ox cheek suet pudding", and "cheddar, cider and onion soup". So while my friends had the steaks (which were very good), I wasn't going to let the more unusual opportunities slip away. The suet pudding was absolutely delicious - really well cooked and presented. The soup was a real surprise - possibly the best soup I've ever been served. So I'm now going to spend the next month or so trying to re-create it - I may need to go back to The George to make sure I've got it right. In the interests of research, of course. Thank you all at The George for a delightful evening, friendly and good service. I look forward to seeing you again.

• Visited March 2014