“Exceeded expectations!”

Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Hadn't heard much about this place, and walking in at 6.40pm greeted with a sight of a load of old tired men slumped over the bar was not a pleasant site. Especially as we were all in suits due to it being a special birthday. But we were offered to be included with the pub quiz which we declined. It was lovely being asked though. Waitress was excellent, a real credit. My dad can get a bit silly after half a pint with him being 60+ but she took it all in her stride and made him laugh. She also made it possible for my dad to have a single portion of the moon Sunday (which is usually only for sharing in a large group) which really made his birthday as they had run out of the chocolate fudge. Dad also LOVED the hogs back brewery beer. Only wish you sold bottles to take home! Well done all. Only constructive comment is that my moon fish and chips was lacking any real batter. Was really looking forward to a good beer battered fish and chips. But no such luck batter was thin and flakey and basically fell off before I could enjoy it. Otherwise everything was wonderful. Thankyou!

1  Thank festivalite
There are newer reviews for The Moon Pub

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is in the heart of Storrington village and I often go there for a drink with friends. I've never tried the food but I know others have always said it's nice. The staff are friendly and the drinks are reasonably priced and a good selection of wines and spirits and lagers/ales on tap. Not what I'd call a quaint country pub which is usually my preference but it is certainly a lovely pub, especially to sit in the garden on a summer's evening.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had a lovely meal here recently. The pub is very welcoming, with a good atmosphere. Their new menu was varied, with the usual favourites and severasl specials. The food was very good, and the service was excellent, attentive and friendly without being pushy.

1  Thank Richard W
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Nice pub, nice owners and staff. Beer and wine kept well. Nice airy space and kept clean. Food ok for fast food type of dishes. A good village pub! Have visited many times over the years.

Richard M, Owner at The Moon Pub, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are very pleased that you like our pub. You only mention our "fast food" type meals...have you tried or new fish menu yet?

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Family group of 8 visited for Saturday lunch, and had a mixed experience. We tried a mix of the mains, from specials, steak, pizza and fish. Some were good, such as the sirloin steak. Fillet steak received mixed reviews, and portions were small for some dishes and fine for others. The food was all well cooked, but think perhaps the menu is trying to cover too much variety. Sadly two of our main dishes didn't come complete, which we were compensated for, but just an example of 'odd' service. You would think the chef would check dishes going out to customers when you are charging £20+ for a steak. Service seemed slightly less than attentive at times, with two staff covering about 3-5 tables it could have been better.
Overall the food was good, but without the wow factor. Service was friendly but not very attentive. I think they have what it takes to do better, but perhaps should concentrate on getting fewer dishes on the menu and ensuring they are always well produced and delivered.

1  Thank James K
Richard M, Owner at The Moon Pub, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thanks for your review James. We are very sorry that you had an only average visit to The Moon, we are certainly aiming for much higher than that. Chef Polly is still mortified that she missed the potatoes on the two steaks as she is usually so meticulous. She did tell me that she made another mistake too, she put extra asparagus on other plates that shouldn't have had it.

On the lack of service, again I apologise for the lack of attentiveness. Lucky for us, but not for the diners, we had an unexpected wedding party (of about 60) turn up for pre-ceremony drinks and for a while there we had no hope of delivering your expectations.

I have noted all that you have mentioned, it it certainly useful to help us improve for the future, and I hope that you will give us another try next time you are in town.

Richard