Looking for somewhere convenient for driving the Causeway Coastal Route (Derry to Belfast), and to see the Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle etc., we booked the Brown Trout Inn. Amazingly, this property has been in the same family since the 1600's. The accommodation choice is either fully self catering cottages (4*) or motel style cabins (3*) - our choice.
The cabins are roomy - ours had two queen sized beds - plus table, chairs, all the usual equipment, and a large bathroom with bath, separate shower and toilet. The heating was really efficient, including a towel warmer in the bathroom. The furnishings were a bit old fashioned but good quality and no mis-matches. All in all extremely comfortable with no drawbacks.
Breakfast is taken in the cosy restaurant above the bar (stairlift if needed) where you can sit and admire the garden and golf course. Choices were extensive, with fruits, cereal, yoghurt, toast, porridge, eggs any way, and all combinations of the full fry. The black pudding was particularly good.
Other meals are served in one of the two rooms off the bar, in front of blazing log fires. There is a separate resident's lounge.
The food offer is basically pub grub, but well done, and including quite a bit of home cooking. We loved the homemade soups.
The staff team is excellent and multiskilled, and deliver whatever is needed to make your stay comfortable, from a friendly chat to quiet unobtrusive service.
All in all we loved our stay at the Brown Trout, and would recommend it to other visitors.
I thought it would be a wonderful place for a wedding or other family occasion, with the added benefit of getting rid of the men to the golf course!
(By the way, The Brown Trout offers a number of deals, which make it very affordable!!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Country inn set on own golf course. Friendly relaxed atmosphere-great fresh food served all day. Breakfast served until Lunch time. 7 Miles south of Coleraine, 20 minutes away from Causeway coast and Royal Portrush. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brown Trout Golf And Country Inn
- Brown Trout Golf & Country Hotel Aghadowey
- Country Inn Coleraine
- Coleraine Country Inn
- Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn Aghadowey, Northern Ireland