“If you can do it”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled amidst beautiful gardens in the rural Cotswolds countryside, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is a gourmet hotel in Oxfordshire. Located in the picturesque village of Great Milton, this luxury hotel combines breathtaking surroundings with gastronomic excellence. The quaint streets of Oxford city centre are a 20-minute drive, whilst London Heathrow Airport is 60km away. Home to Raymond Blanc's Cookery School, one of Britain's finest culinary academies, this enchanting hotel offers French-inspired cuisine at the 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. Using only the best seasonal produce, freshly picked from the hotel's extensive vegetable and herb gardens, guests are invited to embark on an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
Uk
“If you can do it”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Everything was perfect your wish was their command, nothing is to much trouble plus the little extra touches make you feel special.

Visited July 2014
LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Tosh96

Such a short but sweet review, thank you so much for leaving this.

• Greek first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Remarkable Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Attended a wedding luncheon here recently. The food, location and service at this 2 Michelin-starred restaurant is excellent! The food which was prepared by UK's renowned chef, Raymond Blanc was simply amazing. The ingredients are fresh and were obtained from their own garden. Very beautiful landscape surrounded by beautiful lavenders.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jcfl09
LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear JosephineC

Thank you for leaving this feedback. You certainly visited at the best time to see the lavender. The garden is ever changing but always full of interest.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Exceptional food , so-so accommodation”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We couldn't fault the fabulous meal, excellent wine list, attentive service. The set Summer meal was £135 per head so very expensive but wonderful. The accommodation at £500 odd a night (b and b) for a luxury room, was ridiculously expensive for what it was in terms of size and outlook but everything within the room was of the highest quality(towels, bedding, even the carpet!) If we ever had occasion to come again ,I would eat here but perhaps stay elsewhere.
The gardens are wonderful, but I was unprepared for the number of visitors. It was more like visiting a National Trust Garden as we wandered around with plenty of others, rather than the quiet country hotel I had imagined. The vegetable garden is really impressive but it is a shame that with so many gardeners no one had bothered to clear the wonderful lakes of the green algae that covered them.
Come for the food..this is beyond excellent. The rest, impressive but very expensive.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Anne S
Dear Anne

Your review is very interesting and thank you for taking the time to write this. Our gardens are not open to the general public, only to diners or residents, however, we do organise garden tours some days for our guests so I wonder if that is what you saw?

We do hope you will visit us again.

Northants
“Magnifique!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Superlatives and my poor prose will not do this restaurant justice. My wife was kind enough to take me here on my 50th birthday, Raymond Blanc has always been a food hero of mine as my love for cooking is my favourite hobby and it was always a wish of mine to go here and so we did on a lovely June day.
Everything from the moment we arrived to the time when we had to wrench ourselves way was faultless, truly amazing and the best food experience I have had. We had the 7 course taster menu but don't think for a second you will leave that table feeling you have hardly eaten, the tastes and the presentation and the service was off the scale, they are the very best of the best and the experience of that afternoon will never be forgotten. Even the walk around the immaculate grounds was amazing seeing the food grown within a stones throw of the kitchen. Friends and family are already tired of hearing me go on about it but i don't care, i will sing its praises for a long time to come but the icing on the cake was seeing Raymond there, in his whites! I was so awestruck I was unable to bring myself to speak to him, my only regret on a fantastic day. Will I go again, absolutely, without hesitation and Im not waiting for the next 50 years to pass by before I do.

• Visited June 2014
Dear ennjaybee

What a fabulous way to celebrate your 50th birthday. Such a shame you didn't chat to Raymond as he loves to be able to pass the time of day with our guests.

Good to hear you won't be leaving it another 50 years before you visit again!

London, United Kingdom
“Slightly frustrating experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Visited with wife and ordered the découverte 7 courses dinner.

Easy to get to from London. Place is beautiful. We arrived early and were directed to their gardens for a nice romantic walk. Impressive Japanese style pond. Beautiful sculptures nicely distributed in key spots accross the gardens.

We love haute cuisine and have been lucky enough to experience 3-2-1 star restaurants in Europe, the US and also Asia. We had high (too high?) expectations for Le Manoir, based on friends and family reviews.

All 7 courses were good to really good. None were impressive (unlike what you find at Ramsay RHR or The Ledbury, but also some places like 7 Park Place and Arbutus). The Gazpacho was a little out of place for being too "simple". Best dish was probably the truite with a fascinating combination of textures in the plate (not disimilar to some dishes at Texture in London).

A few "ackward" mistakes for that type of restaurant: while waiting in the lounge area I had to go to the bar in the other room to order drinks, we were served a dish that was meant for a different table (!), I had a couple of small crab shells in my crab dish (I almost broke a teeth, but didn't feel like complaining), while they had two baskets of bread for nuts allergies later on during the meal they forgot about my wife's allergy and served her a piece of bread from the wrong basket. We fought a couple of flies during dinner, one landed in my wife's champagne glass (the glass was changed on the spot when we reported the incident). Finally we were not offered any "surprise" in-between courses (no pre-starter except the canapés in the lounge while having champagne, no pre-dessert, no chocolate/sweet with the bill).

My personal opinion on the place is that it probably takes its two stars not for the food, but for the atmosphere: I would rate the food only one star and one star for the decor/atmosphere.

Unfortunately we were expecting to travel with the food, be surprised, and possibly even amazed. It didn't happen.

Final comment I am making for the very first time: I left the table after over 2 hours and 7 courses: hungry. I regret I didn't order cheese on top of the rest. All dishes were slightly too small. I wish I had at least a couple of half plates of food, instead of 7 tiny portions. All the more frustrating that it appears people ordering the 5 courses menu are being served bigger portions. Given the slightly steep bill per head one could expect to not feel hungry after diner.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Parilon
Dear Parilon

Thank you for leaving this review.

Raymond was of course disappointed to read of the shortcomings you experienced in terms of food and service and he is going to discus all of the points that you mention with the team here at Le Manoir. You should not have left feeling hungry and we are really sorry that this was the case,

We do hope that upon reflection you may consider visiting us again in the future.