“Gluten Free in Oxfordshire”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cold Ash, Berkshire, UK
“Gluten Free in Oxfordshire”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

For a special treat , anyone who is a coeliac would find it hard to do better than eat at Le Manoir. My request for a gluten-free, nut-free and vegetarian meal has been met with confusion (or derision) in good restaurants around the world.

Here it was absolutely not a problem and a seven course tasting menu of perfection (plus petits fours and canapes) was delivered with humour and zero fuss.

Thank you Le Manoir for a lovely Birthday.

1 Thank JoanneSkerry
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear JoanneSkerry,

We do our best and try to cater for everyone's needs.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our 7 course tasting menu.

• Greek first
London
“As Near to Perfection as you can get”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The tasting menu at Le Manoir is cleverly put together, plenty to eat and great dishes, all beautifully presented but full of flavour as well. The staff members are wonderfully enthusiastic and knowledgeable about what they are serving, the description of the cheese was memorable for instance and the waiter knew exactly how the wonderfully pink - but cooked - duck breast had been prepared. It is incredibly expensive, with one bottle of the lovely Verdejo from Jose Pariente, a favourite of ours, the bill came to £323 before service. However, it was undoubtedly a very special and high class experience, not just for the palette but for all the other perfect factors. Even the amuse bouches were delicious, as were the petits fours.

Dear lordofthepieslondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your memorable dining experience at Le Manoir.
I have shared your comments with the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Boston
“Very Good, Nothing More”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I have considered this review very carefully, because it is a complex one. First and foremost, this is a review of the restauarant only. Many of these TA reviews carelessly mix up the Hotel and the restaurant. I refer the reader to my seperate review of the Hotel. I was fortunate to eat here several times recently. Donot expect me to comment on the price,, take it as a given at it is very expensive, ridiculously so. But if you are reading this, you already know that. This review is based on multiple dinners, afternoon teas, and breakfasts. To cut to the point- I liked it. It is a special place. But, sadly, I did not have the amazing experience that other reviewers recount. It serves good meal, maybe a fine one- but not a great one. I am actually shocked at the two Michelin stars. There were too many missed cues and fumbled service for that, and the main dining room is too 1990s charmless for a dinner this elegant. My sense is that many of the patrons here are from the countryside., or in any event have not travelled much. There are scores of restaurants in London, or any major worldclass city, that serve better food. Service is also an issue. There are so many servers of various capacities running about that it is almost comical- it as though they exist only to exist, and not to actually add value to the service. For one afternoon tea, we had four different servers bring our order, or take or order, or check on us- when one would have sufficed. As it turns out, our order has messed up in the mix of too many servers. Sometimes less is more, and easing up on the pomp and circumstance would make for a better overall experience. Part of this is driven by the Raymond Blanc Cult of Personality. I am not from the UK, so I must admit he was new to me, but the overall effect reminds me of Wolfgang Puck in the USA, even down to the line of Pots and Pans. Just because he is famous does not mean that his showplace restaurant needs to warrant multiple Michelin stars. Be comfortable in your cooking, such that people will come, and stars will be awarded, even in the absence of a " name" on the place. An example of this are the distracting black and white pictures of a smiling Raymond Blanc in the salon where you have drinks pre- dinner. Making a restaurant about the owner, and not about the food, diminishes both. This is a special place, but it can only truly be great when it becomes less " corporate" and celebrity- driven. It is perfect on its own, everything else is just a distraction.

LeManoirAdmin, Marketing Communications Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear mookie61,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay.
I have shared your comments with the team and please be assured we are looking into all of the points raised.

I would like to let you know that we are looking into why you had four different servers bring your order. It is not our usual practise and I can only apologise for your order not being delivered to you as it should have.

If you would like to talk through anything further, please contact me direct using my email: Claire.wilson@blanc.co.uk

We hope that your previous experience has not deterred you from visiting us when you are back in the UK?

Claire Wilson
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Dinning at Le Manoir is an experience to savour. My wife and I have been twice and it is such a special place. From the minute you arrive the staff seem to know what you need before you've even realised it. The food is extraordinary and the attention to detail is mind blowing. A taste sensation, in a beautiful setting with unobtrusive staff who are there to make your experience the best it could be.

My wife and I are saving up for the next time we can find an excuse to celebrate again at Le Manoir!

LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Michael A,

We look forward to seeing you again soon. You should keep an eye on our website for exclusive dining offers that maybe of interest.

Have a wonderful day.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir
Wales
“Always special”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been here six times and my husband three times. It is always special with perfect service and carefully prepared menus, on this occasion the pineapple desert was the highlight.
The hotel and grounds are exquisite even on Sunday in the snow the gardens were lovely.
It is an expensive restaurant but worth it for a special celebration or to just spoil yourself.

• Visited March 2013
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear EdithWales,

You must soon be due another visit :)
Thank you for sharing such a lovely review.

We look forward to seeing you soon.