“My 6th visit and the first glitch on a perfect record. I love this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Crewe
“My 6th visit and the first glitch on a perfect record. I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Le Manoir was my late wife's favourite restaurant/hotel in the whole world. We were both enchanted by the place.

The rooms were immaculate, beautifully laid out and spotlessly clean, and we only stayed at the lowest 2 category rooms. They were spacious with excellent facilities, and comfortable beds. Each room was a treat and a joy to stay in. Everything was perfect. Marriage Friere breakfast tea is now a firm favourite. Le Manoir was the last place I took my wife, before she passed away after a long debilitating illness.

We met Raymond Blanc on a couple of occasions. What a charming man. Attentive, polite and courteous he was everything we had hoped for and more.

When I returned, for lunch, in Jan 2013 with my new partner, my expectations were very high. It was her very first visit.

The staff who greeted us were extremely professional, and helpful.

The lounges are immaculately presented. Guests are asked to present themselves 15 minutes before the booking time. During this time we can relax and have an aperitif. There are a plethora of organisational issues which would warrant a top class restaurant, such as this, asking it's clientele to turn up 15 mins before the table booking, and not just to optimise the marketing opportunity to sell more booze, as stated in another review!. Top quality food takes time to prepare. However, we were left alone for 10 of those 15 minutes before a waiter came to ask us what we wanted to drink, and present us with the menus and wine list. Still I can't think of many better places to be kept waiting!

Our order was taken at the exact time we had booked the table.....hmmm! No matter. 15 mins after the time I'd booked the table we were escorted to a table in the conservatory, one of the best tables in the house. The service was superb.

The food.......... I/we have not had occasion to comment adversely on the food during my 5 previous visits over a four year period. In fact the food and construction of the menus on offer has been exemplary. But, unfortunately, for the first time, on Jan 4th that was not the case. Each individual dish, as a stand alone course, was excellent, but when I order a fixed 5 course table d'hôte menu I do not expect the first 2 courses to be presented with horseradish! I expect some thought to have gone into how each individual dish fits together so that the menu delivers a variety of textures, tastes and visual experiences.

Horseradish is such a powerful ingredient. Tt can overpower the construction of the menu. The beet root and horseradish salad was excellent. The second course, sous vide salmon with horseradish cream was also excellent BUT not one after the other!!!!! The rest of the courses were fine. In fact we had the extra cheese course and when I bemoaned the absence of Chef Raymond's favourite cheese - Comte, on the board the waiter went off and returned with a plate of 3 different Comte cheese - 5, 10 & 15 yr. old, a "vertical tasting" superb! I've never had 10 or 15 yr. old Comte before, a treat.

I'm really pleased to see that Michelin 2 star restaurants are no longer expected to iron their table cloths. The one on our table had a deep crease running through the middle. Not as deep as the one on our table at Villa Joya in Albufeira, Portugal, though.

Irrespective of the requirements of Michelin, I think that if a table is dressed with a cloth it should be ironed. This is one of many small details that set a "top of the pile" restaurant above the rest!

We retired to the lounge for coffee, I'm a firm believer that the number of each individual "petit fours" offered should match the number of guests so that each guest can experience all that's on offer. We were presented with one of each. Shame on you!

This place still credits 5/5, but, I was a little disappointed, with the five course menu on offer,this time.

The building, grounds, staff, service and everything else was superb. Even in deep winter the grounds are worth a visit.

I bought Raymond Blanc's latest book as a gift for my partner. I asked. If Raymond Blanc would sign it for her. I was told he was away,on holiday, so I paid extra for the postage, so that he could sign it, and they could post it onto me. It arrived 5 days later, excellent.

• Visited January 2013

• Greek first
WARWICK
“Amazing Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Recently booked a celebration package at Le Manoir for my Wife's 40th birthday and our 10th Wedding Anniversary.

Arrival
We drove down and arrived for 3pm on Saturday afternoon (about the same time as everyone else I think, trying to make the most of the experience!), we came through the small village of great Milton and turned into the driveway that takes you straight to the hotel. Not sure that this was the way to approach as there is a second dive way to a larger car park. However a member of staff was instantly at the side of the car to open the door for my wife and to bring our luggage in, left they keys with them and didn't think of the car again until we left. After the briefest of waits at reception we were shown around the ground floor of the hotel and then taken to our room the Hydrangea at the top of the hotel, didn't realise at first but they had upgraded us from a deluxe room to a suite!

Afternoon
We walked around the gardens taking one of the complimentary umbrellas, the Japanese Garden, herb garden and the mushroom valley are worth seeing even this time of year. Unfortunately being a very cold early spring meant there was little growing in the garden.

Room
There was a beautifully chilled bottle of champagne waiting in our room when we arrived, a dozen red roses and handmade chocolates, not to mention fruit. It looked like the bananas (in one of the green houses no doubt) were grown there as they were very small, very tasty. The room was very good with a lovely sofa. Some reviews have mentioned the rooms are a little tired, I found a few minor faults, but when I remember this is a very old house fitted out in 'period' furniture, your not going to get a brand new Dubai/Far east 5 star experience modern hotel experience. It was certainly better than the room I had in the Grosvenor House in London a few years ago and had far greater ambience.

Afternoon Tea
This was a very pleasant way to spend an hour in the lounge with the charming glass tea pots and delicate cakes.

Dinner
We came down for pre dinner drinks and had beautiful canapés. We decided on the 9 course tasting menu. The wine choice was more difficult! Until we heard a couple next to use mention that they had let the sommelier choose the wines for them, we asked about this and decided to also have the wines matched to the courses, (we didn't question the price, and for what amounted to six, I have to say quite large, glasses of wine plus a couple of top ups, it was actually quite good value based on the cost of the wines on the list.) After about 25 minutes we were shown to a table in the conservatory. It would take too long to describe the wonderful experience that the menu held. Clearly the management have learnt from feedback and we were asked if we would like to have our courses and wines explained or to just be served, we chose the explanation, which was always excellent. But a few gems during the meal were the horseradish sorbet with the Terrine of baby beetroot a exquisite paring of flavours. The wines were very good, generally whites, I generally rather red, when a red was served the waiter explained it had some quite heavy tannins, but not too heavy. When I tried it I didn't like it at first, but when I tried it with the venison, it was amazing and brought a sweetness to the venison, a dish I would not have choose as a main ordinarily, but wonderful here as part of the courses. The amount of food in each course was small enough to make it possible to enjoy all the courses and still feel satisfied at the end.

Breakfast

Extremely good, beautiful, lightly smoked kippers. Only disappointment was the coffee, a bit bitter and a bit too French for my liking.

Checkout was very smooth, I had noticed that some people were walking down the lavender path to their cars in the snow. But after I settled the bill I was handed the keys to my car which was waiting outside.

All in all a wonderful experience. Not cheap or reasonable by any stretch of the imagination, but worth it from my point of view as a special birthday, anniversary break. Would highly recommend it and look forward to going for the next major anniversary!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Passportu,

What a lovely review you, thank you for posting.
I have shared your comments with the team.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

London
“Top class restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Superb steak, top class service and overall a great visit. Would def recommend.
Steak was cooked to perfection and served with a selection of vegetables, extensive wine list too.

Dear kooksy,

Pleased to read you enjoyed your steak :)
We look forward to seeing you soon.

“a must do experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

we have just been to manoir for sunday lunch.. from door to table the service was superb.. we both had the seven course set menu .. the food and presentation was sublime.. the wines to compliment the food was so good. afters in the comfy lounge with coffee/teas/ and lovely chocs.. a nice stroll around the gardens and a chat with raymond himself made this a very special day for us.. many thanks to all the team at manoir...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear tjb07,

Thank you for writing about your experience at Le Manoir.
I have shared your comments with the team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir.
Manchester
“Beautiful place, good food but not as good as I expected from a 2 star Michelin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner on a Saturday night, very surprised to get a table, only made the reservation a few days before. Beautiful location, the staff that greeted us were polite and welcoming without being over the top. We both had 6 course taster menu, I'm vegetarian. Overall the food was wonderful a taste sensation, my second course was a little too beetrooty and the rum baba dessert was too sweet but that could just be my palate. The waiting on staff had a wonderful attitude they engaged with us (updated us on the rugby scores) I find this much better than the polite but bland service often offered in fine dining restaurants. If I had never been to high quality Michelin star restaurants before I probably wouldn't make any negative comments as I would have nothing to compare to. Unfortunately I felt generally the restaurant let itself down on a few points such as even though I'd told them I am vegetarian and ordered a vegetarian menu the pre dinner nibbles were all non veg. They did bring me veg nibbles but obviously they took a while to make and so my friend and I had staggered nibbles! They also got the dishes mixed up on one course and it was like getting blood out of a stone getting any info out of the Sommelier, usually they are only too willing to display their knowledge in helping diners choose the wine.
Overall I didn't think this was as good as one star Michelin restaurants I have been to. I thought it was a little overpriced for spirits, mixers and the taster menus, although the wine was reasonably priced. Some areas where they lacked attention to detail let them down.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear jivedriver

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience from your recent visit that wasn't as good as you had expected, when you visited Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons for dinner on Saturday.

You may rest assured that we will be looking into the various issues that you raised and discussing them with everyone concerned, both in terms of service and food. Our sommelier should have been happy to be forthcoming with wine suggestions for you; we will identify who it was that served you and address this with the member of staff concerned.

We do hope that this visit will not deter you from returning to Le Manoir and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.