“Outstanding as usual”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I was a hotel inspector for 22 years for a hotel chain and also love ggod food. This is from my experience stillt he place for extraordinary food and a super weekend away. I was not going to review Le Manoir aux quat siasons again, but it left us speechless again after the last break we had there. So we felt compeled to tell everyone that it is till oustanding.

We will return...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bmellon000
Write a ReviewReviews (2,302)

Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed recently in one of the suites, fabulous room and views, loved the gardens. This is the 2nd time i have stayed in 'Orient Express' related hotels, the other being Reid's Palace in Madeira. I have for a long time been an admirer of the Chef Patron and his promotion of the finest ingredients

Goodd points: fabulous building and location, gardens, quality of ingredients, some but not all of the service, breakfast in my room served by a wonderful waiter.

Poor points: When you pay close to £1,000 you expect an unforgettable experience and a 2* michelin dining feast. Sadly this was not an intimate dining affair, i was not 'wowed' there was no culinary challenge, my 3rd course took 1 hr 25 minutes to arrive, based on the room i would have booked a future longer stay, based on the food & dinner service -NO, would i stay again?, yes if it was more intimate dining, but that's unlikely....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My brother held his wedding at Le Manoir, with the guests staying overnight at his expense - so I appreciate it is always easier to praise when it hasn't cost you anything! Saying that though, I would go again and would happily pay, as the level of food and service we received, and the curtesy and friendliness we experienced from all the staff we met was first class.

My brother wanted a small family wedding (there were 12 of us) that would be an extra special experience for everyone, not just the bride and groom and that is exactly what he got. He and his wife were thrilled with it all which is all that matters.

We had the 10 course taster menu. It was superb. If honest, too much to eat really if judged as a 'meal' but as it was eaten over a period of 5 hours you did not feel over fed and each dish was a delight to eat. The presentation was excellent, the tastes sublime and the whole experience outstanding - I spent all my working life in the hospitality industry which unfortunately tends to leave you sceptical, hard to please and nit picking. I was impressed by every dish presented to us. The petit fours were second to none anywhere in the world I've tasted - I'd go back just for those! I loved and savoured every minute.

We were in the Passion Flower room which was large, well appointed, clean, everything in good condition. It was exactly what I expected for the style/manor of Le Manoir. The bed was superbly comfortable.The room had a delightful garden patio with seating and table at the front with apple tree vines full of apples either side.

The grounds are idylic, the vegetable, herb gardens etc maintained to an incredibly high standard even the carrots seemed to be standing to attention!

My only criticisms would be the length of time we waited for our coffee to arrive when we first got to the hotel and were sitting in the lounge, and the flies! we spent all our time swotting them away from the petit fours and milk jugs in the lounge, flies were evident in the dining room when I went to photograph the table before the meal and at breakfast the next day we had to keep brushing them off the preserves and pastries etc. That really shouldn't happen.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Le Manoir is probably one of the finest hotels that I've ever had the pleasure of staying at; it's also by far the most expensive and therein lies the rub.

Staying at Le Manoir is like being transported back in time to the mid-1980s, to a decadent age where overpaid hedgefund managers would slap down the plastic at the end of a meal without consulting it, satisfyingly hammered on expensive Bordeaux and safe in the knowledge that the bill was for a status-elevating and eye-watering amount.

For all its luxury and for all its decadence, a simple glance at the menu / wine list / mini bar card / afternoon tea menu at Le Manoir confirms the fact that you're being fleeced from all angles. Of course the food is excellent, of course the wine is out of this world and, of course, the surroundings are truly jaw dropping but do these things really justify the ludicrous mark up on anything and everything?

It's also worth mentioning that some staff can come across as supercilious to the point of being quite insulting - our sommelier poured us wine from a different table by mistake and didn't feel the need to let us know. Presumably, philistines like us wouldn't know the difference. We did and we found the fact that he didn't come clean insulting.

(Of course) I'd probably recommend Le Manoir as a special place to stay (room-wise, try to book 'Vettriano', we did and it's amazing - check out the television hidden within the bed) but I can't help feeling that this hotel is taking advantage of its guests through its prices almost the point of contempt. The philospohy at the heart of Le Manoir appears to have been dreamt up at a time when how much you overpaid for things was a sign of status and it needs to be brought up to date. Recession-bruised 21st century dwellers (like me) beware!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. She did the one-day cookery course, and then we ate in the restaurant in the evening, and stayed in the hotel overnight. It's very expensive, but every single thing about Le Manoir was exceptional. The building and rooms are wonderful, the service is the best I have ever encountered by a long, long way (friendly, helpful, attentive and knowledgeable staff) and the food was something else. Despite the eye-watering bill, our short stay at Le Manoir was easily worth it. I'm trying to think how I can justify going again before too long...I need to start saving!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I first visited Le Manoir 10 years ago and it is still as perfect as it was back then. We stayed in The Blanc de Blanc room which was just heavenly. We really enjoyed our wonderful stay here and we are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We went to spend the weekend away, stay at a nice hotel and eat good food.

Our room was large but very dated in terms of furnishing and set up. it was not in the main building and therefore expected it to be a higher level of quality. The grounds to the hotel are great.

The restaurant is great and may be a better option to just visit the restaurant rather than the hotel, unless you stay in the main house.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#1 of 45 in Oxford
Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!