“Impeccable service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Essex, England
“Impeccable service”
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We stayed here for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and the experience was wonderful from start to finish. The staff are superb and the hotel and grounds are magical. We had booked a junior suite, Boticelli, and it was lovely , very comfortable and beautifully decorated just as you hope an English country house would be. The bathroom was fantastic;two roll top baths under a canopy. We settled in and then went for a walk around the grounds. Do make time for this, the gardens are lovely especially the Japanese garden and there are some lovely sculptures in all the gardens.

We spoke to reception after we had afternoon tea because we could hear noise from the kitchen in our room (directly above) and we were slightly concerned about this. We were hoping for complete relaxation and tranquility. We were immediately offered an upgrade to a choice of suite. Lemongrass was the one! This suite is amazing. It is exquisitely decorated and had every imaginable luxury including
it's own steam room and a flat screen tv that came out of the ceiling! Pure luxury. The food and wine we enjoyed that evening was delicious, certain dishes, sublime even! My husband had ordered a bouquet of flowers and the resident florist prepared the most gorgeous display of roses. Yes I have used a lot of superlatives. Try
Le Manoir and you will too!

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank KAGmbg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Kent, UK
Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed for one night at Le Manoir for my husband's birthday. We had a beautiful room (called Emily) which is decorated in a traditional style but has a modern bathroom to die for! The bed was not massive, but very comfortable indeed.

Due to the time of year, our walk around the gardens was not hugely impressive, but I would go again to see it in the Summer time when I'm sure it would be a pleasure.

Instead we spent a little time in the bar, where I enjoyed some lovely tea and delicious lemon cake and my husband enjoyed a Belgian beer from an extensive selection.

Dinner, of course, was absolutely excellent. Certainly one of the best meals we have eaten (and we do like top-notch restaurants). We had the taster menu and if we had to find anything negative the only thing we would say is that the menu could have used some slightly stronger flavours in places. But overall it was hard to fault and we love it.

Breakfast was THE best breakfast we have had anywhere.

One nice touch - we were given a VIP voucher for Bicester Village outlet shopping centre, which we were planning to visit anyway, which saved us quite a bit of money on our shopping.

• Liked — The food, which I'm sure is most people's reason for being there!
  • Disliked — Somewhat 'commercial' with info about where to buy everything you see.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PennyPurples
east sussex uk
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I would nt say that we are hard to please- but we are.!
Last year we stayed in succession at all the best hotels in the best suites of the Orient Express chain in Italy nothing came up to the standards of food and service we experienced here this week.
We had the Lemongrass suite with its own steam room
a wonderful room furnished in exquisite taste with a beautiful bed a separate changing area and walk in wardrobe a superb
lounge with subtle lighting - you had to be there.
A walk round the courtyard outside the suite area with its
perfectly symetrical horse chestnut tree ,its tinkling fountain.
The grounds tended by seven gardners are immaculate
the Japanese garden, the pond, the wisteria so fine against the mellow cotswold stone of the main house.
The staff have come from some other better world ,not a false note ,the food a series of Maze like dishes in the intensity of their flavour but the better for being full size.
One slight slip (but I have found this recently at the Sandy Lane )
was our corton charlemagne white wine was not quite cold enough but after a short time in the ice bucket all was well.
We didnt want to leave the next day particularly as we also had
the very best breakfast- I had an omelette aux fines herbes with sicilian tomatoes inside, as I said to them it was the best omelette I had had in my life and I have had a few.
It cost a bomb but it was worth every pound a memorable birthday for my wife and myself M. Blanc can be very proud
of himself-wonderful.

• Liked — its utter luxury
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank alanEastSussexUk
Landlocked in Midlands
Reviewed April 14, 2007

From the moment of arrival, we were made to feel like like very special guests. Every possible desire was anticipated, explanations and guidance were offered in the sweetest and friendliest manner by staff who clearly took personal pride in ensuring our stay was memorable for all the right reasons.

All the 'little touches' were there..being greeted at the car park, told about our surroundings as we were escorted to the reception area, a short guided tour en route to our room (actually more of a suite)..fruit and lovely complimentary bath products, uptodate magazines, personal birthday card signed by Raymond LeBlanc..
sumptuously furbished and furnished room, private patio (maid was aghast that ashtray on patio table had butt in it!) And the food
...oh my the food...to say that all other menus fade in comparison doesn't begin to do it justice! Utterly out of this world, would unreservedly recommend it to anyone who appreciates fine dining combined with the best service we have ever encountered. Thank you M Le Blanc, it was worth every single penny!

• Liked — Attention to detail, food, the whole experience
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay there forever!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Foodyfamily
Sheffield
Reviewed April 3, 2007

A very relaxed atmosphere, with the expected quality of food. Make sure you have time to walk round the gardens - allow at least half an hour!

South West
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We have just returned from a wedding reception at Le Manoir. The hotel is beautiful with a lovely relaxed atmosphere. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the food was sublime. We met Raymond Blanc which was a nice surprise. He made a point of speaking to each table of guests. The hotel is a haven of warmth and friendliness and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a special treat or venue for an important occasion.

• Liked — sheer luxury
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank emilySouthWest
Cheshire
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I booked my wife onto a one day cookery school course here for a Christmas present and then decided to join her in the evening for a joint anniversary present.

No matter how hard I try I cannot think of anything negative to say about our experience. Karen is an excellent cook but came away inspired and with some excellent ideas from the course, and was full of praise for the whole cookery school set up.

Our room was beautiful, with an over the top but great fun bathroom - we had the Boticelli junior suite with twin tubs and mural. Great sound system too with speakers both in the room and upstairs in the bathroom. There was a lovely choice of fresh and dried fruit and complimentary sherry (I think, as I didn't try any) and water.

I ordered flowers from the in-house florist, and being concerned that we may not get a lot for our money in such a place I ordered more than I would normally do. The arrangement was enourmous; I'm sure at least as much if not more that I would have got from our local florist for the money.

For dinner we opted for the tasting menu and asked the sommelier to choose individual glasses of wine to compliment the food . The food was highly inventive, beautifully presented with a great mix of flavours and textures. All of the wines were great matches to the food. I've never had three desserts before but am very glad I did on this occasion; they really rounded off the meal (and my wasteline!) superbly.

However, what really stood out from our stay was the service. It was great to see a team obviously enjoying their work. There seems to be a real pride in what they are a part of. After a superb breakfast we went to the cookery school to collect a tart that Karen had made and were given a tour (unrequested or planned)of the kitchens by the cookery school assistant. This was a fascinating experience in itself, seeing the infrastructure needed to produce food of such a high standard for so many people. Seeing 40 or so chefs all hard at work at 10am really brought it home what exceptional value our meal had been.

For us this was an extravagent treat. We stay in good hotels and eat in good restaurants fairly regularly but we cannot afford to spend £1250 (including the cookery school) on a night out too often. I think we would both sacrifice alternate 'treats' to be so royally spoiled as we were at Le Manoir, and both feel that it was worth every penny.

And to top it all off, my shoes got a bit grubby on a stroll round the gardens in the afternoon. All I had to do was put them outside the room at bed time and they were sparkling clean in time for breakfast!

• Liked — Service, special touches
  • Disliked — small TV (but who cares!)
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#2 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!