“This isn't just food... This is a little piece of food heaven”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Warwick
“This isn't just food... This is a little piece of food heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

So where to start ... We have been to Le Manoir a few times for lunch but not dinner, so when my husband said he'd booked us for dinner I was thrilled. On arrival we were met by caring and attentive staff, shown to the sitting room and served drinks and lovely hors deuves.

We decided to chose the nine course Decouverte menu. There were lots of dishes that I thought I liked some of the ingredients but not all... But hey ho..

Our sommelier was helpful but not pushy. We also opted for each course to be explained to us but this is by no means obligatory. Every course was just superlative ... Balanced and with beautiful ingredients. We even had some beautiful dessert wine... Something we never have.. But our sommelier recommended one for us by the glass and it was a triumph !

So out advice DO IT. It isn't cheap £154.00 per head ... BUT as a once a season treat its just a little a piece of food heaven

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Me1163
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Me1163,

A once in a season treat, is such a wonderful way of seeing the house and our gardens.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Le Manoir.

We look forward to seeing you in the summer.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

A truly luxurious country house hotel and restaurant. Everything about our visit was superb, and the service manages to be extremely attentive without being too formal or stuffy. Initially I was a bit flummoxed as to where to park since the only parking spaces are marked as deliveries only. Beyond that is only for valet parking. Silly me, I should have realised valet parking was included. Simply dump your car outside the front door, hand over your keys and it will disappear, only to reappear outside the front door when you need it. You don’t even need to take your bags out of the car; they will appear in your room shortly after you’ve had your guided tour. Alternatively if you’re arriving by helicopter, you’ll be pleased to know that there is an adjacent helipad.

We were fortunate to be upgraded on our room, perhaps because they were not full on a Monday evening visit. We had a small patio area and a large room with king size bed, decent TV, NAD hi-fi/I-pod dock, etc. A tray of fruit was provided along with a half bottle of champagne and a decanter of Madeira wine. The guy who showed us to our room suggested we take the shampoo, body lotion, etc., when we left since new ones would be in place for the next guests. These were good sized bottles of quality products, not the miniatures you often get in hotels. They even provide a small drawstring bag for you to take the bar of soap! He also pointed out the real fire and said that we should call reception if we wanted somebody to come and light it! Maybe some folks are used to this sort of thing, but it was a real treat for us for a special occasion.

The grounds are also very pleasant and extensive, and you are free to wander round the productive areas such as the vegetable and herb gardens as well as the more decorative parts. It’s divided in to several different sections and includes a Japanese garden, a number of water features and several bronze statues and ornaments.

The nine course tasting menu we had for our evening meal was very good indeed and the restaurant was almost full. My only slight criticism was perhaps that we were seated in the conservatory – no doubt a lovely spot in the summer, but on a dark February evening one of the original hotel dining rooms might have been a little cosier. The sommelier guided us towards a bottle of wine that was quite reasonably priced at £47, and although not experts we really enjoyed it. The last course came out with a candle and a Happy Birthday for my wife which I thought was a nice touch as I had not requested anything and only mentioned it in passing. An after dinner chocolate drink was the most chocolately I’ve ever had, and came in a silver teapot. In spite of that, £15 seems a lot for a hot beverage, but fortunately it was included in the price of the meal.

All in all I can’t fault this, and would highly recommend it as an occasional treat for a special occasion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Blackth0rn,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Le Manoir.
On your return, please do let us know that you would prefer to dine in the original part of the house.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Staying at the Le Manoir is simply something everyone should do once in their life.

We were greeted at the car park by a very friendly porter who took our bags, which were delivered to our rooms whilst we had a tour of the main house, gardens and finally our room.

Our room was 'Passion Flower' which was a beauifully decorated contempory room which had over and above the mod cons which luxury hotels provide. We loved our private terrace which led onto the grounds, in the summer months it would be perfect to sit out and relax.

After our tour we explored the hotel's vegetable and herb garden and the Japanese gardens. The place has such a calming and relaxing feel, and the beautiful statues positioned around the grounds are very romantic.

Complimentary tea and homemade lemon cake were served in our room late afternoon and we were left to relax until our dinner reservation. You can have a proper afternoon tea in the main house but we wanted to save room for dinner.

We opted for the A La Carte menu rather than the tasting menus as we preferred the options but we still received a delicious selection of Hor D'oeves with our champagne in the lounge and an amuse bouche which on this occasion was a beetroot salad with horseradish cream.The dinner was delicious as expected and the service impeccable throughout. The staff all call you by name and I felt like a celebrity.

Going back to the room, there are little extras such as a complimentary shoe shining service which my partner took advantage of and we opted to have after dinner coffee and petit fours served in our room. I particularly like the large bath which had candles with matches ready for you to light and bubble bath in a lovely glass jar.

Included in the price is breakfast which can be served in the room at no extra cost and there is a great choice of breakfast options. We selected pastries and a full English breakfast with juice, tea and hot chocolate - really civilised and delicious.
The only extra bonus I would have liked is facilities to have a massage, but this is not a criticism at all.

My tips are to save space for a lot of food and excellent quality wine (there are hundreds to choose from). The weekend was very expensive but as a special treat it is well worth it, particularly if you are a foodie. I shall start saving for my next visit!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, but I would suggest one of the rooms that have a private terrace rather than r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kas25Kent,

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay.
I have shared your comments with the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

We currently do not have a spa but do offer the choice of in-room spa treatments which we offer in the luxury of your room - maybe we could book you a massage the nest time you stay?

Carluke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Last night my wife and I were taking time away from the hurly burly of a very busy and hectic 12 months. My better (much better actually) half told me a few days ago that she had booked Le Manoir as a treat for me as she knows how much I admire M Blanc!

Well what can I say, from the moment we parked up to the moment we left we felt like a special guest, even though there were many other guests, nothing was too much trouble and every member of staff had a smile and never ignored you. Even walking to the wee boys room, each time you passed a member of the staff they smiled and said hello or enquired if we were enjoying the evening.

The food was divine, from the taste explosions of the canapés, through to the petite fours with coffee, it was all a delight. The highlight for me was the beet root with horseradish sorbet, that was just WOW!

All I can say is that a trip to Le Manoir should be on everyone's bucket list, and rest assured we are planning our next trip already.

Thank you to everyone last night, you are all diamonds!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Frank G,

I am pleased to read that you had the most enjoyable time with us, thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

If are planning a visit, you should try to visit us in the summer months. You'll be amazed at how different the gardens will look.

We look forward to seeing you both soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was here for supper as part of Le Manoir's annual 2day Christmas celebrations.
The evening started with champagne and canapes in the library. Delicious. We were then led to the medieval church next door by lit torches where we enjoyed a concerts of Christmas readings and choral music.
Then...supper. What can I say? Other than it was perfectly devised and an evening I shall not forget.
All staff are friendly and helpful and simply cannot do enough for all guests, yet affording everyone space to relax. Basically, everything here is done exquisitely and the staff clearly love their work.
Magnifique!

Room Tip: African Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AMO308,

Christmas at Le Manoir is one of my favourite times of year! Lot's of delicious food, fine wine and roaring log fires to keep us warm.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience whilst at Le Manoir. I have shared your comments with the team.

Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

There is not one thing to fault about Le Manoir. The surroundings, food, staff, service are all excellent. I went here to eat for my birthday and wasn't disappointed. The staff are highly attentive and polite and are always happy to help and answer any questions you have about the menu. I was even brought out a personalised birthday cake after we had finished our meal. The food is honestly the best I have had down to every small detail including the presentation. The dessert was particularly memorable; I had the millionaire's shortbread and it was so light and delicious I could have eaten another! Of course, this is on the pricey side but it's definitely worth it for not just the food, but the whole experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Alexxandra22,

I am so pleased to read that your visit to Le Manoir exceeded your expectations.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the manoir in February 2012 for one night and had dinner there - Le menu degustation. Everything was perfect. It is a true labour of love and we clearly felt the passion of Raymond Blanc. We were also lucky to meet him as he spoke to all the guests briefly during dinner. This will remain a very special occasion.

Room Tip: We booked a standard room and it was excellent......perfect in fact!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isabelle D
Dear Isabelle D,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Le Manoir.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Milton
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,635 reviews

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!