“perfect solution to a heating issue”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Rutim
“perfect solution to a heating issue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at le manoir for our anniversary just before Christmas. We were booked into the dovecote but experienced noisy air con system. The receptionist responded immediately offering to solve the issue and move to one of two room options. We chose the upgrade to jade suite and the room and facilities were magnificent. Service was impeccable as usual, food exquisite. We cannot fault this place and it still represents one of the finest hotel dining experiences if you are able to run to it. An annual pilgrimage and we thank all me staff for their care and meticulous attention to detail.

Room Tip: So many styles to choose from. The website is very thorough but we think the rooms are even better i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Rutim,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.
Jade is one of my personal favourites - it's such a beautiful room. I am glad you thought it was magnificent.

I have passed on your comments to the team.

We look forward to seeing you this year.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Not many are the hotels where the manager himself meets you at the door and escorts you inside, himself carrying your luggage. While they verified all was well for our early check-in, the hotel offered us tea in their “Marriage-Frerres” lounge, which set it all off on a happy note since this is our FAVORITE brand of tea, and the tea company that Le Manoir serves. Our room, “Anais,” was almost perfect in every way, complete with two televisions. Rarely do we rate property visits so highly. We appreciate the gift of the spray on the bed at turndown. That the hotel possesses its private key to the next door church was the single highlight of our stay: an after-breakfast private walk and visit to church, complete with our own key for the morning, was our highlight. Being able to see inside of the kitchen annex from the outside driveway is a treat. Love the number of real fireplaces throughout the property, and in our room. John who came to take care of our fire—and returned as promised—deserves special mention for politeness and genuine aptitude. We know his name because he offered it, a rare thing on this property of no nametags and no personal introductions. We’d also like to commend the tall server on the lounge (the tallest man in this area of our few days here) for his smile, attention to detail, offering to redo a raspberry-champagne that another order taker had misunderstood into strawberry instead. Kudos for serving Mariage Freres tea, our absolute favorite. Thank you for the sweet red wine and frui in our room: we made great use! Love the red bows on the doors for “Do Not Disturb.” Giving us a goodybag for the train upon our departure was another treat. Finally, our own real Christmastree in “Anais” was reminiscent of Claridges of yesteryear, before being taken over by Maybourne, when special holiday touches were the norm. ###
For a perfect score, I suggest CONSIDERING the following suggestions:
-nametags for staff so those of us staying overnight can feel more personal and know whose service proves meritorious of mention
-the in-house, preloaded movie “Road to Bali” has no sound, and should be fixed or removed from your offerings, or it’s sad to temp what you can’t offer
-The cabinet with items for sale promoting the property is the first and last seen item upon entering/leaving the property and this is just tacky. While we did purchase items from it, we didn’t like the commercialized feel of entering Le Manoir.
-consider lighting the Japanese garden and grounds for evening strolls after dinner; only a limited area is lit for walking around.
-the green blackout curtains separating bedroom from the rest of our suite “Anais” did not close properly or completely in either section
-turndown service: our obvious newhire was charming and very nervous that we were in the room during turndown, neglecting to replace towels or draw the curtains
-being in the countryside in England during this festive time of the year, we expected a mince pie or Christmas pudding sampler, but found none here
-service at our 5-course lunch: We were enjoying a perfect choreography of dishes and explanations when it came time for the dessert course and everything seemed to shut down. We waited more than 20 minutes from our final course to dessert, though I appreciated the birthday candle. We observed staff offer tea and coffee (which we knew came w/little mignardises and petit fours) to other tables, which they could enjoy in the lounge, but no such offer came to us, and we are hotel guests. It was a same to have the lunch end on a down note instead of an upbeat, perfect birthday finish.
Offer smaller-sized toiletries for stays of a few nights so there is less waste. The oversized bottles were tempting to take but prove impractical in these days of carry-on only luggage and no liquids in large amounts.
Consider that many guests wishing to enjoy the cuisine will come not for one meal but with the hopes of enjoying several tasting menus. On our visit, however, only one 5 and one 7 course December tasting menu was available, and it was the same, unchanging menu for lunch or dinner, all days of our stay. This is appropriate for the local guests who drive here to enjoy an afternoon of single-sitting eating, but not for hotel guests. Disappointed, we opted out of eating the same food again and ordered something from the private dining menu. Furthermore, the staff could 1. take the initiative to include the vegetarian menu in the main menu offered to guests enjoying their canapés instead of needing to ask for it, and 2. inform guests checking in that they DO have some alternatives like ordering from an A La Carte menu during their stay since Raymond Blanc’s seasonal December menu will not be changing at all during our stay. This is an upsell but also a necessity. We felt like there was one restaurant with one set SEASONAL (not daily) menu, and a limited private-dining menu, which really is the case.

Room Tip: ANAIS out of main hotel w/private entrance
Dear Lawrence B,

Many thanks for your most constructive feedback following your recent stay with us here at Le Manoir.

I believe Philip has been looking into your comments further and has responded to your email.

I would like to thank you for once again and should you need anything further, please do get in touch.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I booked in for two nights: Christmas Eve and Christmas night. This was our first Christmas "away" and it turned out to be a magical experience - Thanks to Le Manoir.
In summary the hotel and the food are only exceeded by the care and attention of the amazing staff.
We drove up to the front door in the pouring rain, to be greeted with someone holding an umbrella over our heads and another member of staff greeting us with glasses of champagne.
Our car was parked and the luggage was in our room before we were! The room (Anais) was amazing - warm, stylish and every detail was perfect. Each and every room had its own originally decorated Christmas tree.
The Christmas meals were exceptional and the service was attentive, friendly and professional - without being intrusive. All of the staff - without exception - made us feel like they genuinely cared.
Technically this is a professional and well run operation. However, all of the staff that we met gave that extra personal discretionary effort, that goes beyond their job descriptions. Truly world-class without being pretentious.

Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear CWRG.

Christmas at Le Manoir is truly magical. Our resident florist Sarah decorates each tree by hand and each room has their individual tree.

I have shared your comments to the team; it brings me such delight to read such a wonderful review about your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed post.

We hope to see you soon.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have been struggling for new superlatives to use in my review of this remarkable establishment - the problem is that most of them have been used in previous reviews! however, I shall press on regardless...
From the moment we arrived for our short weekend break we were treated like royalty. The duty manager greeted us on the forecourt and ushered us into reception - where a group of staff were (it seemed) waiting to greet us too! Whilst this was happening our car was taken away to the car park, and our bags were taken to our lovely, historical, room "Emily". We had arrived a little early, so were shown into the lounge and seated in front of a welcoming log fire - where we were served light refreshments until our room was ready.
We later learned that a Christmas tree was being decorated in the room for us, a lovely touch - one of many we encountered at Le Manoir.
It quickly became clear that all the staff are charming, polite and helpful - they make eye contact, smile and (impressively) many of them knew our name too. This was service par excellence, second to none.
In the restaurant we decided upon the Menu Decouverte, nine courses of sheer heaven! each course seemed to surpass the previous one, or perhaps we were simply relaxing into the experience - whatever, the meal was fine-dining at its best... and exceeded our high expectations.
When we left on the Saturday morning it was raining a little and our car was brought round to the main entrance where someone escorted us, beneath an umbrella, to the car - where the duty manager thanked us and wished us well, rounding off a superb break.
Expensive? - yes, but so is a Rolls Royce..and to experience the best one has to be prepared to push the boat out - and believe me, we came away saying that it was worth every penny.
In conclusion I would heartily recommend Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons to anyone who appreciates service, fine cuisine and wonderful surroundings - we are CERTAINLY going back!
Raymond and team, I take my hat off to you.

Room Tip: "Emily" is in the medieval part of the hotel, looking over the forecourt and across to La...
3 Thank GallopingGastroGnome
Dear GallopingGastroGnome,

We love your TripAdvisor profile name.

Thank you for writing such a detailed and wonderful post. Christmas at Le Manoir is such a magical experience and Sarah our resident florist works very hard decorating our Christmas tree's.

We have shared your comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

My Family and I stayed at the Le Manoir aux Quat Seisons this week end and to say we enjoyed it is an understatement.It was truly a magical week-end.The team at the Manoir made our stay a wonderful experience.Nothing is to much trouble and they are never with-out a warm smile and friendly hello.From the Reception to the Restaurant every member of staff gives you the feeling that they want you to enjoy your stay with them.Over our 3 day stay I could not honestly pick fault with one thing.The attention to detail is truly second to none.
It really surprises me to read any bad comments on Trip adviser about the Manoir.I think even on a very bad day they would exceed any of the other 5 star hotels I have stayed in.
We were lucky enough to bump into Mr Blanc walking though reception and you can see why everyone is so friendly here.He had time to chat to my wife and children and insisted that my wife went into the main kitchen to get my 3 year old daughter an ice cream.The charm really does start at the top and work it's way down though the ranks to all the staff.
If you have a chance to book in at the Raymond Blanc cookery school do so.I did and it was truly the highlight of my week-end.Myself and the other 9 people who took the day class had a truly wonderful day.It really could not have been better and is an experience that will stay with me forever.
I was also lucky enough to also eat on Friday night in the Restaurant as it was my birthday .All I can say is that it should go on your ''to do list''once in your lifetime.
Stay here,Eat here and learn to cook here.....which ever one you may choose you will have a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Manon room is a lovely but I think Haunted :-)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Michael D,

After reading your post, I would like to say 'Thank you'. Creating a magical experience for each of our guests is something that my team and I strive towards and I am so pleased that we achieved this for you.

The Raymond Blanc Cookery School is a fun way of learning how to cook and with over 20 different courses, there is something for everyone.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We hope to see you soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

It is difficult to put into words how fantastic this country house hotel and restaurant is. We had eaten at the restaurant previously, so knew the food would be beautiful (which it was again), but we were also blown away by the hotel itself. The main thing that sets Le Manoir apart is the service levels you receive - you very rarely have to ask for anything, as the wonderful staff seem to anticipate what you want. If you do have to ask, you certainly never have to ask twice! The room itself (Passion Flower) was very large and beautifully decorated, with lovely little touches dotted around it. There was also a nice patio area outside, but at -4 degrees, it was a little chilly to sit outside!! We were stopping for a weekend break (2 nights) to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and on the first night we ate the 9 course menu decouverte. Each course was superb in itself, and the whole meal flowed beautifully. My favourite courses were the Roast Duck with Cherries and also the Pear Almondine dessert, but all 9 courses were mouth-wateringly good. On the second night we ate from the al la carte menu, which, whilst perhaps not quite up to the fabulolus standards of the previous night, was still beautiful, with gorgeous confit salmon, followed by partridge. On the Saturday, we had a tour of the kitchens as part of the package. We assumed it would be a 10 minute dash around, but we were in there for over an hour, and spoke to the Executive Chef Gary Jones, who showed us some of the produce and preparation for that nights meal. We also viewed the busy cookery school and also the private dining area - both lovely, and then had a nice stroll around the gardens - a bit chilly, but would be fantastic in the summer. So, all in all, a fabolous way to spend our anniversary. Granted, it cost a small fortune, but for a special occasion, it was well worth it - thankyou Le Manoir

Room Tip: Choose a room in the old stable block if possible
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear RobBos772,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful post.

We have passed your comments onto the whole team.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Claire
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had booked this way back in May for my husband's December birthday and the nearer it got the more worried I felt. Would this actually live up to the hype?
We arrived shortly after 2 in a fog bound Oxfordshire. Met by Laura who is friendly and professional. No problem we were early she settled us in with champagne and sandwiches for a light lunch in a beautiful room while Dovecote was prepared for us. Sadly the room was soon filled wth four ladies watching a video on their phones with no thought to fellow guests and laughing and yelling at each other. The four of us in there were all appalled, not exactly what yu expect! Laura was brilliant, apologised profusely and offered to move our peaceful lunch elsewhere.
We were soon in our room. What can I say?! Dovecote is fabulous, a beautiful bathroom downstairs, little green and red bows for do not disturb, and then upstairs... Gorgeous! A lovely bed, magazines to read, complimentary madeira and fruit. We soon had tea and exquisite pastries, a nap, a bath .. Lit a candle, used beautiful toiletteries and dressed for dinner!
We made our way to a champagne reception with gorgeous canapes. Then a short torch lit walk to church for the Christmas carols. If you have never booked this - go next year! Fabulous service with Canticum and Hannah Gordon doing some funny amusing readings.
Then back to dinner... Five courses. Sat with a dozen strangers we all exchanged tales and one man, who knew RB! Introduced him and told him my husband had his birthday. Made his day that RB shook hands, had a chat, on top of the book and card in our room. The meal was perfect.
Too soon we were in bed. In the morning an alarm call, then a call to say tea and biccies were on their way and then a sublime breakfast.
We left with a bag of two bottles of water and a couple of pastries for the journey having wanded the gorgeous frost clad gardens.
On ur return we found my husband had left his new ipad charger and being Le Manoir this was no problem and is on it's way back to us now :)
Yes, the bill was large BUT my husband had a wonderful, relaxing birthday. Laura and all the team made us feel at home and we felt we had been away ages. A perfect birthday, thank you Le Manoir, we will be back.

3 Thank HertfordshireMarmi
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear HertfordshireMarmi,

Thank you so much for post on Tripadvisor. I have passed on your comments to the team and of course - Hannah and Laura.

Have a wonderful Christmas and see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Milton
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,640 reviews

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!