“not all that good!”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Lovely location and welcoming staff but the service really was not what I expected from a 2 * Michelin restaurant.
Booked as a birthday surprise and I requested, twice, a special dessert candle and I also confirmed the booking twice but when we arrived they didn't have it. They did seat us and the meal was OK but not amazing.

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank cambridgegirl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed March 24, 2008

I have been lucky enough to stay here twice over recent years, firstly in the Opium Suite and secondly in the Citronelle junior suite. Naturally, my favourite was the Opium suite with over sized bathroom complete with over sized bath and seperate shower. The living area didn't disappoint either with log fire and private walled garden perfect for enjoying breakfast. Citronelle was lovely but i have to say it is worth paying the extra for pure luxury personified.
The food as always was perfect, although the waiter didnt take too kindly to my request to omit the fois gras from a dish as i really don't like it. In fact after what seemed like a never ending battle he finally agreed to put my request to the chef after telling me that the chef would not be happy! i did actually start to doubt at this point who was the customer paying the bill! However this was just a minor negative for two perfectly wonderful evenings topped off by a personal visait to our table by Raymond Blanc himself - a very nice touch.
Breakfast was also exquisite, although each time we took the liberty of having a continental one served in our room at no extra cost. Again a very nice touch.
In short service is slick, efficient and friendly. If you want to impress or be impressed, book here, i can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lulublue32
Reviewed March 7, 2008

This is an awesomely good hotel. I'll keep this review short because I have little to add to the other 5* reviews posted here. Le Manoir really excels at delivering a wonderful experience. The 10 course menu decouvert was exquisite and the service (from the porter at the door, through the lounge and dining room staff, to the reception staff) was polite, charming and apparently focussed on anticipating (rather than just responding to) your every wish. It is on a different planet from the impersonal and pompous atmosphere created by some hotels at this end of the market.
Does it represent value for money? When you're paying this sort of cash for an overnight stay, this question has to be asked. My answer is an unequivocal "Yes". The price is high, but so is the standard that Raymond Blanc and his team deliver. Definitely a place worth saving up for.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Footloose_UK
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I took my husband for a surprise birthday event, it was wonderful. The staff, the room, the food and Monsieur Blanc visiting me at the breakfast table showed he leads from the front. I have spent more at hotels where the patron does not seem to give a 'truffle'.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I was not expecting to find a discount booking for this hotel, but managed to find WhatAHotel which unbelievably lived up to their promise. We were upgraded from our deluxe double (£500) to a junior suite normally £850. The room was beautiful with quality furnishings and finishes. We even had our own private walled garden and a marvellous bathroom. WhatAHotel even got us a bottle of champagne thrown in! The room was so special and made the stay - I am sure if we had just had the deluxe double we would have come away a little disappointed having spent all that money.

We had the tasting menu, which was good but didn't blow my mind. Coming out at £330 I didn't think it was worth the money, but very much enjoyed our night and the overall experience. Including the log fire lit upon arrival for us to drink our champagne in front of. Breakfast was great and Mr Blanc came round to have a chat to all of the guests which was a nice touch.

Overall, £900 for a night away - I could get a week for two in Europe for that! Not something I will be repeating but it was lovely to live in luxury for the night and celebrate my partner's birthday - made all the more special by the upgrade!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louiseroach
Reviewed December 26, 2007

We stayed at this hotel to attend one of their Christmas Carol evenings. This included a "standard" room (not sure if standard would be the right word), a champagne reception, torchlit procession to parish church next door, concert, then dinner afterwards. A completely unbeatable stay, from the warm greeting and being whisked to our room without a formal "check in" right through to a completely stressfree check out. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, the room overlooking the garden, which in Summer we could have sat in at our own patio table was excellent. Probably the best nights stay anywhere, we will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doc50
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Too stuffy,over-priced,pretentious,fantastic suite,sublime food, amazingly outrageous mark-ups on wine,poor standards of English from wait staff,meagre portions,classic cooking,beautiful breakfast,gorgeous grounds,

A Hotel that is meant to tick all the boxes but failed on many counts(on our visit) to fill them all,you know when you want something to be soooooooooo right and it isnt and then you try and argue why it was so good in the first place and that argument doesnt seem to hold water when you consider the "whole" experience? £1000 for 24 hours.................

Meet that Hotel...............

#1 of 2 in Milton Common
Malmaison Oxford Castle
3 mi away
The Crazy Bear Hotel - Stadhampton

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!