“Quite simply... the best hotel in the world”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Cheshire
“Quite simply... the best hotel in the world”
Reviewed December 18, 2007

I have stayed at the Manoir five times in the last few years, four times for a week at a time doing the Stage 1 through to 4 cookery courses (you arrive on a Sunday evening, stay through to Friday, in a superior room - this is by far the best value way of staying at this wonderful hotel and has the added bonus of teaching you just about everything there is to know about cooking!) and once for my 50th birthday with a couple of girlfriends.

I've stayed in Amethyst, Snow Queen, Rouge et Noir, Vettriano and Camelia. They are all gorgeous and flawless in my experience.

The Cookery School is amazing, the food sublime and I can't think of any problem, large or small, that wasn't solved immediately and with good grace in all the 25 nights I've slept there! RB joined us for lunch when I had a birthday during one of the courses and is every bit as charming as one would expect - though I wouldn't want to work for him, talk about perfectionist!!!

When I went for my 50th they couldn't have made more effort to make it special for me, even doing a favourite, no longer on the menu dessert for the three of us.

The staff are superbly trained, they are not perfect as the buildings and services are not perfect, but without exception in my experience they do everything in their power to make each guest happy. They understand that a large proportion of the folk who stay here aren't mult-millionaires and have saved long and hard to stay there for a special occasion and try to make it worth it. The attention to detail is quite amazing.

If I ever get married again it will be there and I'll spend my wedding night in Opium in lieu of a honeymoon (a tour of all the rooms was a bonus on one of my courses!), if I make it through to my 60th birthday I'll stay in Lalique after a lot of saving up in the next ten years!

Stayed April 2006
2 Thank HappyTravellerSK9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Hastings, East Sussex
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Myself and husband had booked lunch to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Le Manoir had been on our wish list for a while and we were expected to be blown away by the "experience".

The place is lovely and I could find no fault after we were seated in the pre lunch lounge and served with champagne and little intensely flavoured hors d'oeuvres which got our tastebuds going.

When we were finally shown our table, i was a bit daunted to discover we were not in the conservatory but in an intimate side room. Please note when you make a reservation to ask for a table in the conservatory. I was not aware there were two other side rooms - I had a look at the second room and it looked a bit of a back room to me and I would not have been very happy at all had I been placed in there!

The food and service was faultless. Only problem being we had only recently returned from a trip to the French Basque region and dined at Les Pyrenees in St Jean Pied de Port and the Grand in St Jean de Luz. so our expectations were very high. The food and ambience at both French restaurants were definitely "the experience". The execution and burst of flavours were divine and I'm afraid this is where Le Manoir fell below par - the flavours were definitely lacking - must be something to do with sourcing his ingredients locally - you don't get the same amount of sunshine in England and no doubt the quality of French produce is undeniably superior.

The overall experience was nice, but I won't be returning.

Stayed December 2007
5 Thank buckler
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Have been lucky enough to be here twice in recent months, first time was for a wonderful lunch and second time we stayed here to attend a friends wedding nearby. Its certainly expensive, and certainly a treat, but i really did find both experiences amazing. The food is the highlight, our lunch was so wonderful and the service impeccable. the bedrooms are sumptuous, if a little flowery in place but it is a country house type of hotel so i wouldnt expect anything else really. Fantastic through and through and if your lucky enough to go then you wont regret it.

• Liked — Wonderful Food, Excellent Setting
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank holstrav
London
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Le Manoir is an institution which cannot seriously be faulted. If you are truly gastronomically inclined and are either staying for a few days (as you don't really want to miss every moment of the hotel) or even after checkout, you will be bowled over if you order the picnic lunch.

We took ours to the gardens at Blenheim Palace (25 minutes away) and enjoyed an amazing, never-ending lunch which was set out in about 8 large bento boxes. It could not have been more satisfying or memorable.

Stayed March 2007
London
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed here for my husband's birthday in October. We were in an “extremely contemporary” (the Anais) suite, which, though extremely comfortable was slightly chintzy for our taste. There's no denying that the setting is lovely and we very much enjoyed the autumn sunshine in the gardens. We did, however, have some reservations about the service. When the bell boy brought our luggage up he was very enthusiastic about the fire in our room and suggested (twice) we had it lit for our return from dinner which seemed a nice idea, but didn't happen. For dinner we had the tasting menu, which was extremely good, though the pacing was not quite right, with some gaps just too long. The next morning we had a fantastic breakfast and thought we would have a coffee in the gardens before we left, but unfortunately service lapsed again and we were forgotten (the staff too focused on the next wave of lunch guests), so left without it. The staff are all very friendly but there is a lack of intimacy which may be inevitable given the scale and popularity. There's a sense that Manoir is resting on its laurels - I guess it doesn't need much repeat business. In summary: a lovely setting but not quite perfect, and for the money (£1000 for the night!) I think it’s fair to expect perfection.

• Liked — Setting, Food
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank KGL62
Buckinghamshire, UK.
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We stayed for 1 night 7th November. The setting and atmosphere was perfect with great attention to detail in all areas of the Hotel. We stayed in a standard room which had lots of character and a wonderful unusual bathroom. The restaurant service was excellent and Classic gourmet menu superb. The seasonal nature of the gardens and artistic Bronze statues made it curious to walk around. All the staff we met at the Hotel were friendly and professional. The Hotel lived up to its reputation and is excellent for a special occasion!

We have stayed in many 4 & 5 star hotels in the UK and Overseas, and this Hotel is special and outstanding!

• Liked — Individual character of room/bathroom
  • Disliked — Very low sofa seats in Hotel Main Lounge
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank swaddy_7
Windsor
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Le Manoir had been on my list for a long time! It has an international reputation for fantastic food and a beautiful setting. Both of these are completely warranted. The food was wonderful and the setting idyllic. However the restaurant service was incredibly slow and the waiters unhelpful. Unfortunately I was very disappointed overall, as when staying at an establishement that prides itself on the "experience" , the "experience" is what you expect. It certainly was not delivered on this occasion.

• Liked — Rooms were beautifully presented and grounds idyllic.
  • Disliked — The service was poor.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#2 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!