“Better than expected” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)

Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northop
Ayrshire
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel every year for as long as i can remember and was concerned about my recent visit as i had noticed a decline in the standards last year however i was pleasantly surprised as room looked as if it had been freshened up and bathroom looked much fresher. We wer in a lower room to back therefore no noise. A very comfortable stay, friendly and welcoming staff and hopefully we will return next year. Thanks again

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jeskie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

It is a comfortable hotel, but the decor is a little tired. It could do with a little TLC. Handy to be in a service area. Breakfast was good, and the staffs service was goid and friendly. Even though right on express way, did not really notice the road noise.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
CHEUK_Response_from, Owner at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Andrea

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review .

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed a comfortable stay - specifically I note that , aside from the convenience of the location , you appreciated the quietness of your room allied to the friendliness and efficiency of my staff who will appreciate your kind comments . In particular your praise of the breakfast operation is very welcome - thank you .

i also noted your observation in respect of decor - we are now coming towards the end of a busy trading period and very shortly we will be looking to invest into the fabric of the hotel . I very much hope that you will be aware of the difference should you be in the area in the near future .
Please contact me personally when you anticipate returning - it will be a pleasure to meet with you .

Kind Regards

Tony Horsfall
Askeaton, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Myself and my young family have been staying here each year for over 10 yrs now. As we are often travelling between the UK and Ireland, it is an ideal location for catching the ferry at Holyhead (it is situated right by the A55 main road to the port, which is only about an hour away). Although the rooms often require some TLC, they are clean enough and have the usual facilities (including FREE WI-FI). For the price, they are more than reasonable. The gym is basic, but you can get a decent workout. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, and many, including the manager, have been there for some time. This is always a good sign. There are amenities within walking distance (including the excellent OK Diner, Subway, Mc Donalds and garage with shop attached).

Room Tip: Nothing to add.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sandwich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had to find a room unexpectedly for one night whilst visiting family and as the Chester marathon was on this was all we could find. Never stayed at a Holiday Inn before so didn't expect much. We arrived late which was not a problem but as we went down the corridor to our room all we could smell was stale tobacco. The room was an executive room which was a good size with a good size bed and clean bedding. There was a small sofa and chairs and flat screen tv. Bathroom was clean but tired but everything was over shadowed by the awful smell of stale cigarettes. One bath robe and towels were proved together with "Lux" soap in shower/bath and other toiletries. Fridge with water and a good tea/coffee tray. Bed was very comfortable. Again the smell pervaded everything and made our eyes smart. We had enquired when booking if the rooms were smoking as we were under the impression that since the no smoking law was passed that this was not allowed in any hotel rooms at all. We were told that they did not have any rooms that were smoking. When mentioning this at reception the next morning we were told that they did in fact have some designated rooms for smoking and unfortunately we had been given one! Ok if you are a smoker but disgusting if you are not, if we had been told the correct information by the receptionist upon booking this would have saved an unpleasant night. It served a purpose and the shower was good!

Room Tip: Ask first if you want a smoking or none smoking room and make sure the receptionist actually knows w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CHEUK_Response_from, Owner at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your stay in my hotel on saturday evening

I was so pleased to learn that you had found the facilities and cleanliness of your room to be to your satisfaction . We will shortly be further enhancing the quality of this room with luxury towelling , new weighing scales , slippers and fresh milk .

It was disappointing to learn that you had been allocated a smoking room contrary to your wishes . I have spoken to the third party website via whom you made the reservation - they have confirmed that your reservation was for a smoking room albeit they were not in a position to advise me as to wheher the reservation was made on-line or by phone . I would assure you that ,had contact been made directly with my hotel , we would have provided clarification in the event that you had not received confirmation from your third party .

I sincerely hope that we may be able to look after you when next you are in the area . For your own piece of mind please may I suggest that you contact us directly in order that any misunderstanding may be avoided .

I would further assure you that we only allocate six rooms in one area of the hotel for smokers who appreciate that we cater for their preference .

Many thanks again for taking the time to bring your concern to my attention and I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely

Tony Horsfall - Director
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Typical motel group, where decor does not matter. Although trading under the Holiday Inn banner it was not up to the class of a real Holiday Inn hotel, more like a typical budget motel chain.

The hall to my room had a musky smell, as did my room. There was mildew on the bathroom tiles and the whole room felt grubby.

Only the reception and restaurant looked clean and in good décor. Although the restaurant service was good the food was very average. Had a very poor sleep as it was very noisy outside the room. Only glad my company paid and not at my cost. Will give this one a miss in future

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

I am so sorry but i have not been able to identify the room that you occupied on your recent stay .

May I trouble you to advise me on 01244 550011 and I assure you that I will conduct a thorough review before responding more thoroughly .

Yours Sincerely

Tony Horsfall - Director
Mold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We got married here two weeks ago and I cannot praise the service we had highly enough. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food and venue outstanding. You don't have to pay a small fortune to have a perfect day. The price was unbeatable without any hidden extras.
A huge thank you to all the staff who made our day very special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CHEUK_Response_from, Owner at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Elaine

Thank you so much for your further kind comments following your wedding at the hotel on Friday 13th September.

I was so pleased that the venue, food and service lived up to your expectations we try very hard to over deliver in these areas and I will certainly make sure that your comments are passed to all the team at the hotel.

May I personally take this opportunity to wish you both the very best for the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Many thanks again.

Tony Horsfall
Director
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have been a coach driver for about 34 years and have been in endless Hotels, guest Houses and B and B's......I Use about 20 to 30 per year in the course of my work...
This Hotel is possibly the best I have been in..... The food is excellent, the beds and rooms are spotless and VERY comfortable. The staff on all levels are brilliant ( nothing too much trouble ).
There is also a garage on site, which make life a lot easier for fuel on the Expressway.
All in all a great experience........ I would certain recomend this Hotel to anyone.
Thank you Holiday Inn.
David T Coach driver

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop
Beaufort Park Hotel
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)? Share your experiences!