“service amazing”

Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northop
Bath, United Kingdom
“service amazing”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for business and wasn't sure what to expect.. in many ways it is like a motorway services hotel.. busy, next to a main road etc..

The service was great at check in and dinner although not so great at breakfast (nothing wrong with the service just not as warm and welcoming as in the evenings)

At check out though I mentioned that I thought, compared to other holiday inns, the hotel looked a little tired and maybe was due a refit or similar.. the member of staff seemed to be at a loss as to what to say but it was an off the cuff remark on my part and wasn't meant as anything else.

I got a questionnaire through about the hotel and was pretty honest and not hugely positive about this aspect though as I spend a lot of times in hotels and think keeping them looking nice is important for those of us whose home from home changes every week

So imagine my surprise then when I had a long and lovely email from the Accommodation Services Manager. The email was apologetic that I had found the hotel lacking in some way and explained the upgrading work that is being carried out in parts of the hotel. From the sound of it these are exactly what's needed to brighten up the place a bit and make it look less 'lived in'

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel enough.. the tired decor is being dealt with and that level of service is so exceptional I am still surprised by it each time I read the email..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Wellingborough
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn, Northop near Chester whilst working in the area and have to say I was very impressed by a number of things.

Firstly the staff; from my initial entrance into reception, to bar and dining in the restaurant, and the overall building itself even upon my departure every representative of the hotel was faultless. Smart, polite, friendly (smiling) without being overbearing or 'over the top' as is often the case in some establishments similar to this, and very hard working in a discrete, no nonsense but professional manner. Full marks for customer service and indeed satisfaction. I have worked in service industry a lot in my life so the ethos of treating customers exactly as I would like being treated fulfilled it's criteria.

The food I ate was exceptional for this kind of hotel - certainly not what I had expected or anticipated but very welcome after a long and arduous days work - I made a point of asking for the chef after my meal to thank and compliment him personally as I feel that often when praise is due it is not always given. Breakfast too looked tasty and varied - even though I only opted for the lighter version it was refreshing to see some good healthy options and a vast array of locally sourced, quality fayre.

Finally the rooms, location and cleanliness - all of which were of a very high standard and more than exceeded my expectations. So for that reason I post this review as I feel that credit should be given where it is due....

I have not rated the 'star' options for the Spa and Value as I did not use the former and was on company business so cannot comment on value as I did not pay for my stay but I would add that as a benchmark for business travellers, leisure, pleasure, family or other the standards of service, food, cleanliness and customer satisfaction are hard to beat; in short I would be more than happy to stay at Northop Hoilday Inn over and again.

Ideally I would have rated this at 4.5 stars but on this occasion it gets 5 out of 5 from me!

Room Tip: I asked for a quieter room on arrival and was immediately moved to a quieter part of the hotel witho...
1 Thank TerryBen69
Reading
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here for one night and used as a stopover for a meeting the following day in North Wales. It is very easy to find and pretty much on the Motorway as part of a traditional services with a Shell garage and McDonalds on the same complex.

As soon as you come off the Motorway for the entrance for the hotel it is a very sudden first left turn (signposted McDonalds Drive Thru). It has a large car park with spaces overlooking the A55.

I was greeted warmly and reminded of the free Wi-Fi (nice touch) as well as complimentary newspaper the next day of my choice (also made me feel welcome) and given some priority club vouchers and advised on the new Rewards scheme from July. The reception reminded me of an Express and was slightly tired, but clean.

My room was on the top floor (there is only one lift and quite an experience!) facing the A55 and despite this was not particularly noisy. The room was clean, comfortable with comfy bed!

I tried the mini gym the following morning, which had cross trainer, stepper, bike and some weights machines - nice to have.

Breakfast was nicely presented and quickly asked about drink and toast. Food looked fresh and appealing.

When checking out they were very keen to see if my stay was ok and if anything extra they could have done.

A pleasant stay, which suited my needs - I would stay again

Room Tip: Although double glazed ones facing the A55 are ones where you can slightly hear the A55.
1 Thank Stumpy12345
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at this Holliday Inn several times now and had a problem with the room as I had been booked into a smoking room in error.
Unfortunately I was in for 2 nights and the first night they were full so not able to move me but got back the second night and room had been changed bags moved and all sorted.

Great staff and management did as much as they could to sort it.

Room Tip: This hotel still has smoking rooms so If you are a non smoker do not book one in error as they are m...
Preston
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed for one night whilst visiting Chester races. Great value for money - a little bit of a trip in a taxi into Chester but if there are a few of you the cost decreases. Clean comfortable rooms friendly and helpful staff - did get charged twice for the room be careful if you pre book and pay online. Lager was warm :( that's probably the only complaint I could make about the stay...... Will definitely book again.

Room Tip: Be careful about any extra charges if you book and pay for your room online
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2013

As frequent visitors to Chester zoo and north Wales we found this hotel absolutely perfect for us
Located on the main a55 feeder road to the welsh coast plus close enough for such delightful places like Llangollen Chester and Wrexham
The hotel is extremely reasonably priced but don't be fooled the facilities are first class, beautiful rooms with the very best of holiday inn,clean absolutely everything you need for a short stay
We also recommend the restaurant lovely food with a nice adjacent bar for a few drinks to end a perfect day
Could not finish without mentioning the fabulous staff, nothing was to much trouble everyone's so polite it really is a joy to speak to such lovely people, and if like you do get to meet tony the manager you'll be see why his staff are like they are he sets an example in genuine customer care, thanks guys for a great stay
Plus a service station subway McDonald's ok diner are on the same complex for additional needs

Stayed April 2013
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here on an overnight stay recently. Nice clean room. Staff were friendly & efficient with a very pleasant attitude. Breakfast was of a very good standard. We couldn't fault this hotel. Good value hotel for the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Beaufort Park Hotel
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Chester Northop Hall
Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Holiday Inn Chester South

Been to Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)? Share your experiences!