“As always, excellent :)”

Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northop
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here about four times now, and each time the stay has been great. Generally quiet hotel, rooms / bathrooms always very clean.

Easy to get to, it's well located for Chester town centre (or park and ride) Cheshire Oaks designer outlet. Staff are friendly and helped sort an issue with my Priority Points membership swiftly.

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 302 2nd floor. This is right next to the lift and we were concerned of the noise it...

Reviewed January 27, 2013

When we arrived we were very disappointed to see that the hotel was actually part of the services, an oversight on our part, we should have taken more notice of the description. We were very concerned about the traffic noise but to be fair the sound proofing was excellent and we could not hear a thing outside....inside however was a different story. Our room was next to the fire door situated half way down the corridor. The door was opened and shut loudly what felt like all night long, we could also hear every single movement from the room above. The room looked ok, a bit dated, the TV was old and the image not great but ok but we could smell dampness, a stale mould smell like damp towels. The bed was not comfortable and we did not sleep well both nights. The staff were friendly however and the breakfast was very good. It was good value for money but I would rather pay a bit more and stay somewhere other than a service area. I would personally not stay at this hotel again but for business travel or for one night I suppose it's ok. Two last points, the access to the hotel is very complicated and you have to travel several miles to return to the hotel if you are on the wrong side of the dual carriageway, when we stayed ice and snow covered the ground and the staff at the hotel made no effort to clear the pathways to the hotel, a little bit of salt on the walkways would have been greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: Chose executive and ask for first floor if possible
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Br0nwen,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your compliments on the level of service provided by our staff as well as our breakfast. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. However, I am sorry to hear you found our beds and room amenities less than satisfactory. We also apologize for the discomfort you experienced due to the noisy door and other guests. We have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for a night on route to see family. The hotel is what you would expect of any Holiday Inn chain, as smokers we were delighted at the available smoking rooms, ( don't worry non smokers, we were totally sectioned off from non smoking rooms). The staff are very friendly and accommodating. Unfortunately, the showers/bath tubs are incredibly slippery and I mean INCREDIBLY! I slipped in the shower on my first day of the holiday and broke my toe, they said they were sending up their first aider but the only thing she did was point me in the way of an A&E which I suppose is protocol. The room service menu was fine, you do have other eating options being at a service station. Convenient location.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Brixpat,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Chester.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed for one night last weekend. The hotel was fairly easy to find and is situated within a service station area - Shell, Costa, Subway, McDonalds etc all on the doorstep.

We were a bit concerned about the main road going past the door, but we needn't have been - it was absolutely fine and we didn't hear a sound all night.

Reception staff were really helpful and check in was easy.

The room was absolutely fine - clean and comfortable.

We booked the night on a special non refundable deal. All in all, an excellent stay.

1  Thank lil_alice
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times and there is nowt WRONG with the place. Just there's NOWT outstanding.

Firstly this place is NOWHERE near Chester but is a £20 taxi ride away. When you get there you are on a motorway service area with a Shell, a McDonalds, a Subway, Costa Coffee and the rather ominous sounding OK Diner.

Pretty much the only place therefore that you're likely to eat is the HI. There's an a la carte menu of boil in the bag curries and some steaks and they have "theme" nights in the week - carvery, curry for example. The food is, well OK.

Some of the rooms are a little dated - remember CRT TVs?

The BIG selling point if this place is they have a FAST, FREE Internet pipe - unusual for a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Hobosapien,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I am pleased you found our internet service commendable. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel service and room accommodations did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments, all the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve, as these enables us to target problem areas and take actions accordingly.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with a candid feedback. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would like to begin by saying I am a fan of the brand see my review of Ellesmere Port Holiday Inn amongst others for evidence. That's where I usually go but was delighted to find one nearer to my relatives and slightly cheaper as I am in the area several times a year.

The first thing to note is its a bit of a pain to find your way back to without a satnav from anywhere in the area. It's on one side of a duel carriageway which makes getting to it a bit complex as the road signs give no clue. We had a murderous journey from Essex with problems on the A14 and M6 so our journey took hours longer than normal. We were absolutely exhausted when we arrived.

We walked into reception with our luggage and I said "evening" and the man behind the counter let out a huge sigh before turning to his computer. Now call me old fashioned but is that the kind of response you should give as you welcome your guests? My response was "Clearly you've had a bad day?" The response was "I've only just come on!" I said "oh dear that doesn't bode well for your shift if that's how you feel at the beginning of it?" He then continued to stare into the computer and made no eye contact at all but just responded with “Name?” No friendliness at all, just another boring day "at mill" for him. Thankfully a more welcoming and friendly face soon appeared in the form of tall blonde receptionist. I describe her as she needs to be identified for praise from heavily sighing Man/Manager? That's how it should be done! Take a lesson from her! Friendly, professional and efficient! Our room keys were issued and off we went.

We had three rooms booked and the first two rooms were warm but we arrived to ours which was bitterly cold. So we turned the wall heating controls up high and and unpacked whilst waiting for it to warm up, but nothing happened and forty five minutes later we realised nothing was going to happen so called reception who sent up a mobile heater promptly. The room took about an hour to get to a good temperature.

The rooms did not have that fresh and clean feel and smell about them which is unusual for this brand of hotel. Our room/bathroom was filthy in some areas, see photos. The photo of the carpet at the side of our bed does not really clearly show how dirty it was but that part did not see a vacuum for the three days and nights we were there. There was mildew in the shower, the bathroom tiles on the floor had years of dirt especially in the corners and behind the door. Skirting boards had thick layers of yellow paint and were marked and dirty throughout. see photos. The hairdryer had one of those annoying curly cables which meant even stretched did not reach the height of my head so I could actually dry it in front of the mirror. To add to that it only worked on the cold setting and cut out every time I tried to use the hotter setting, meaning I had to wait ages for the cut out to re-set. On the cold setting the drier was useless, like using a very tired fly to blow dry my hair. Tea and coffee was not replenished. One measly packet containing three biscuits between two people on arrival and that's your lot! Well their net cost is 12p! One biscuit each and a fight for the third one! I won! I won! lol!

The first night we put a do not disturb label on our door as we didn't want to be disturbed early the next morning by the cleaners after the awful journey. Yes okay we forgot to take it off the next morning as we left, but the cleaners were only three doors down as we came out of our room they were in the corridor so I asked them could we please have a packet of biscuits each in 217? The cleaners said “yes no problem” But importantly the cleaners not only saw us come out of the room with our coats on and walk towards the exit door, we also mentioned it was room 217 where the requested second packet of biscuits were needed! So they knew which room we were in and also that we were clearly going out as we had left the building! We were mortified when we returned late that evening to find our room had not been entered at all by the cleaners and nothing touched because we had accidentally left the sign on our door. Surely we aren't the only people to have ever done that? So after a busy day out we had to make our bed, wash our dishes, sort the room, towels still wet etc and manage without tea or coffee as it obviously hadn't been replenished and wasn't replenished the next night we came back either despite the room being serviced that day. So the leaving with our coats on and giving the room number a few doors down to the cleaner was not a clue that we had left the sign on the door by mistake? The clues were all there! It's not rocket science!

Every morning we came down through reception I said "good morning" to same heavily sighing man mentioned earlier. You have to give me top marks for trying? Did I get a customary response? No, of course I didn't, he just looked up and back down again. Why do people like this work in the hospitality industry? (hospitality ie. hospitable.....) I have no idea it's such a contradiction! Answers on a postcard please!

This hotel does not live up to the standards of other Holiday Inns I have visited. It doesn't hold a candle to Ellesmere Port except for the WIFI which is far superior here. It's well below standard and has a Manager or whatever he is that should not be anywhere near the place or paying guests!

My overall view of the Holiday Inn brand has been tarnished by this experience. This hotel needs a deep clean and possibly a refurb! Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Find another hotel. Ellesmere port HI is not far cleaner and better value for your money
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Just_a_Giraffe
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Flamehairedandfeisty,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is certainly disheartening to read of your experience and the fact we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. We regret that you had this encounter instead of the high quality experience that is more indicative of Holiday Inn. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We travelled up on a Friday for a 2 night stay, to celebrate a friends birthday. Had quite a bit of trouble finding the hotel. Arrived very late in the evening. Plenty of parking spaces available. We had a family room which was very clean and spacious, but could do with a fresh coat of paint. Tea/ Coffee etc was supplied. Beds were very comfortable. Plenty of towels provided. Ample hanging space for clothes. Went down to the bar for a few drinks, bar staff were very friendly. There was a wedding and a party on the evening we arrived, could not hear any noise once back in our room. Our room was situated at front of hotel and dual carriageway, again could not hear any traffic noise....
The only downside was the Iron, would advise you to iron your clothes before leaving home.

All in all a lovely stay and would stay again :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Beaufort Park Hotel
Travelodge Chester Northop Hall
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Holiday Inn Chester South

Been to Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)? Share your experiences!