“Idylic place to base yourself”

Gellifawr Woodland Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pontfaen
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Out in the center of the Pembroke park, this lovely old house with self catering cottages is great. We needed a break, get away for a weekend and rest, well I just want to stay here and write my book or contemplate the birth of the universe or just spend the rest of my days.
On arrival its a Nice looking old stone house with a pleasant greeting from the staff, then we were shown to our room, well the bed was a 6 ft. super king just like the one we have at home - except that it turned out to be more comfortable, I'm writing this while laying on it, cant figure out how to get it in the car but I'm working on that, - the bedroom itself is large and clean and well equipped, there is a tv that's bigger that we have at home - and a blue-tooth sound system. The view is over the quaint self catering cottages and the whole lot surrounded by trees. A lovely meal last night and a good breakfast this morning, very nice attentive staff that aren't overbearing!
I just had to tell everyone about this place, if you want peace and quiet in good quality surroundings with no outside pressures ( there is no mobile phone service - but free internet so you can be online when you want to be.) with good food and plenty of walks in stunning scenery, this is the place. Now if I can just get my back off this wonderful bed I'm off for one of those walks. Sorry to go on but I love this place, it's old but has been sympathetically modernized whilst keeping it;s character with quality fixtures and most mod-cons. oh it's nice. maybe I'll just stay here and start that Great Welsh novel that I can base in a lovely old house in Pembroke, I'll just lay here and contemplate that a bit longer, I can't get my misses off the bed anyway! they're going to have a hell of a job getting rid of us tomorrow.

Room Tip: we stayed in the main house for the B&B but there are self catering cottages, it doesn't mat...
1  Thank HaydnNelms

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed in the 1 bedroomed cottage called Felin Fach, with my 7 year old son and dog. Very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The bed was soft and had lovely, crisp, duvet cover and pillows, very cosy indeed. Nice and warm. Lots of hot water so we could have a nice hot, deep bath. Shower was very powerful too. Lovely soft white fluffy towels Nice bright décor. Staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Andy and Mike. Hotel food was AMAZING. Top marks to the chef, especially the YUMMY Sunday Carvery. Short drive to the beach and town. Lovely long walk down by the river, which started just across the road from the cottage. Will DEFINATELY return in the summer. The ONLY down side was that we had someone in the cottage above us, who was very heavy footed!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed March 19, 2014

A last minute quick getaway seeking peace and quiet and that's exactly what we got. Very attentive staff without being overbearing. Lovely room in the main hotel (room 3) with 4 poster bed - really comfortable. So, this is a country house, not some sterile hotel in the middle of a city - the decor was tasteful & in-keeping with this and we loved it.

We had booked an evening meal elsewhere, but on seeing the menu (3 courses for £25) we decided to eat at the hotel. It was the right move - the food was plentiful and excellent. The chef came and spoke to us after our meal which was a really nice touch. Breakfast was delicious - a full breakfast with a choice of eggs.

Lounge area really comfortable with a log burner - managed to sink a few beers whilst watching Wales beating Scotland at rugby - a more than thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

Over the lane from the hotel there is a scenic walk along a river. Unfortunately it is really steep so if like me you have mobility issues it is impossible, but the views excellent nonetheless.
From room 3 we had a spectacular sunset through the large sash window - which is easy to open for fresh Welsh country air.

Plenty of towels and some toiletries enough for 1 night stay.

I will be visiting again, but next time I may consider a cottage hire - we were shown one on request - the only one not occupied. They even have a disabled friendly cottage - all on one level.

Thoroughly recommended

Room Tip: We loved room 3. A four poster and lovely view of sunset over hills.
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed in one of the one bed apartments and found it clean, warm and comfortable. Location is a bit out of the way but still a good place to explore Pembrokeshire. We ate in the hotel on the first evening, simply because after a long drive we couldn't face going out again and had a really good meal, £21 for 2 courses with a glass of wine per person - not bad at all for great food, a lovely cosy restaurant and very helpful staff. Overall we had a great time!

1  Thank maryq55
Reviewed March 4, 2014

on arrival after a long journey we were shown to a sleeps three cottage called Y Bwythyn, you get your own car parking space outside the cottage which is good, but o'h dear when we went in the first thing you notice is a very dirty stained carpet, the front door had mould and was broken at the bottom,a very small television attached to the ceiling which did not work very well ,peeling plaster around the windows and door,the same in the bedroom, mould and peeling plaster, on the plus side the bed was very comfortable and linen clean, and a visitor a slug !!!!. We were informed that the cottage was on the list to be re-furbished so why do they find it acceptable to put guests in it, to add insult to injury the charged us £10.00 for the dog.
We did not use the Hotel as the food was a bit exspensive. All in all would we go back again probably No..

Room Tip: until this cottage is re-furbished I would avoid
1  Thank Sandra Catherin... E
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just had a wonderfull weekend away (Friday/Saturday night) including a fabulous Valentine's dinner Friday evening. From the friendly and helpful staff (especially Blythe), to the relaxed atmosphere, wonderful food, cosy country cottage feel of the accommodation. The location is a bit out in the middle of nowhere,(but some times that's a bonus! - no mobile signal!), but well worth the trek, the surrounding scenery is amazing, within easy reach of Fishguard, Cardigan & St David's (loverly cathederal). We stayed in the hotel itself, but the cottages look just as inviting.
I would definitely recommend a stay here, & will be returning again myself!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I went to Gellifawr for our Valentine dinner. The food, the service and the setting are amazing. My wife had Duck and I had Lamb and I can't wait to go back again. Thank you for a wonderful evening.

1  Thank km957
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontfaen
Grove of Narberth
#1 of 4 in Saundersfoot
Cartref Hotel
Cartref Hotel
#3 of 4 in Fishguard

Been to Gellifawr Woodland Retreat? Share your experiences!