“masterclass canapes and petit fours”
Review of The Checkers

The Checkers
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had a delightful day ! A birthday present for a friend. We were welcomed with coffee/tea and homemade biscuits at 10.00 am Divided into two groups half watched demostrations of canapes whilst the other group saw petit fours then changed over.Very accessible and clear and tasted heavenly.Questions were encouraged and ideas exchanged. A light lunch was prepared which was beautifully presented and tasted very good. We were not hurried and finished at 3.30
There are a series of classes offered each month and I would have no hesitation in recommending this day out in lovely surroundings!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at The Checkers on one of its 'short break' 2-night packages with dinner and breakfast included. I was impressed by the standard of cooking and rooms and the professionalism of the staff and management and thought that the package represented excellent value for money.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was surprised by the last review I read on here. I stayed and ate here last night (14 November) and loved it. You can't fault the rooms, certainly, but the food and service are pretty darned good too! We've eaten here before and had the tasting menu which was far far too much for this tummy. Excellent none the less. But too much for me. This time we went for the a la carte. My goodness what lovely food but also what excellent service. We all have different ideas of what we like i suppose and I like it here. I didn't find anyone disinterested: we had nothing but excellent service for dinner through to breakfast. A joy and one I hope to repeat!!! A real gem.

1  Thank JMA_Chester
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We went for dinner, as we bought a discount voucher because we heard so many good things about this place, and in fact, it was superb! The place is nice, with a great romantic atmosphere. The service always polite and available and the food...just great! In a few words, very good and fresh quality food served with style. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Anyone reading this page will no doubt have exceedingly high expectations of Checkers, and having been lucky enough to have eaten in several Michelin starred restaurants this year I naturally had very high hopes for Checkers.

The place was lovely, the staff were fairly lovely if a little disinterested and serious, and the food was lovely. But that's what really surprised me - for £27 for three small slivers of beef, I was expecting a little more than just 'lovely'. I was expecting to be blown away! Or at least that it'd be up to London restaurant standards.

We recently ate at the hotel in Portmeirion, which was MINDBLOWING, and in the same price range - but there we sampled seriously incredible, inventive and original food presented in fabulous, fascinating ways - and I must say I expected something similar here...

It was also painfully quiet in the restaurant, and sadly lacking in ambience. Perhaps it was because there were only a few other diners which I thought was slightly unusual for such a popular place on a Friday evening. When I spoke to some friends about it over the weekend, all said they'd felt Checkers was very quiet too... bit of jazz in the background wouldn't go amiss, or even better something that draws on the restaurant's roots and theme, like Edith Piaf.

My only other gripe was the reception area, where we waited for about 30 minutes to be seated. It's quite a small space and there are a few sofas crammed into it, which means that you're sitting right next to or opposite other diners which is a little strange - since it's so quiet you can hear everyone's conversations which again is a little awkward.

Don't get me wrong, the food was definitely very good - it's just that after all the hype, I had hoped for more than just 'very good'.

1  Thank intrepidtraveller030