“A real treat”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Reynoldston
South East London
“A real treat”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My partner and I arrived at the hotel on the 28th December for 2 nights - our Christmas present to one another. From when we stepped through the front door, I knew we would be in for a real treat. The staff were extremely friendly and very attentive. We were shown to our Room (room 3 - standard room) which overlooked the back of the hotel. I was highly impressed with the cleanliness of the room, it was small but fine and decorated to a high standard. We ate in the dining room on both nights - and I am somewhat surprised to hear that other visitors to the hotel were unimpressed with the standard of food served. I have eaten in many an expensive restaurant and believe the food herenwas above average and cooked to perfection. Breakfast also was excellent. The bar prices were also not over the top a beer £2.95 and a pimms £5.00 so again surprised at other peoples reviews. Staff that go the extra mile goes a long way in my eyes. Whilst away I was suffering from a very severe sore throat. We asked at breakfast whether there was a walk-in medical centre nearby. 5 mins later Audrey on reception came into the dining room and told me that she had spoken to the local doctors and had arranged for us to go along where I would be seen within the hour. Thankfully I was prescribed antibiotics and I was able to enjoy the rest of my break.

The grounds were delightful and we were blessed with excellent weather. The Gower offers spectacular scenery and I recommend you stay for an enchanting few days at the Fairy Hill.

• Liked — The friendly staff and the cleanliness of the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BOD2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
UK
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We turned up with no reservation off-season and were quoted quite a steep price but when we declined, were given a good discount for 2 nights (although this is the price quoted on their website anyway). It was still expensive, but we were treated very well. The room was clean and fresh towels, robes and friut were provided daily. The room was cosy and had good facilities - digital TV and DVD player (DVDs borrowed from reception). There was no hospitality tray but when we asked for one, were offered tea/coffee to be brought up to our room. Unfortunately, we were then charged for this, which felt a bit unfair, considering what we were paying. The breakfast was lovely - just what I'd expect in a 5* hotel.
We ate both nights in the restaurant which was fine but the menu didn't change (perhaps due to off season) so I wouldn't want to eat more than 2 nights there. The location was peacful and the gardens fun to walk in.

• Liked — peaceful location, good breakfast, clean and well serviced room
  • Disliked — being charged for tea/coffe when there was no hospitality tray
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marmitefaceUk
boston, ma
Reviewed November 3, 2008

we never stay in the same place twice. we rarely visit the same area twice, life's just too short and the world is full of things we haven't seen yet. but we made a big fat exception for this place and enjoyed a rare weekend that was somehow better than the last time.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — too far from boston
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank salemsi
Worldwide
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My husband and I spent 3 days in the Gower last September, and I have to agree with the reviewer below who pointed out that the dining experience at Fairyhill was.......boring!

We too had the 3 course meal, a complete rip-off for food that was neither especially tasty, innovative, or seasonal. It was more akin to a 3-course dinner you might find yourself eating at some sort of business convention at a business hotel. Edible, but nothing special. I had hoped for something a bit more 'magical' from the kitchen of someplace that calls itself Fairyhill!

Adding to the boredom was the totally silent dining room, with all the diners speaking in hushed whispers. Also, it was a bit annoying of being put through all the hoops of being lured into the tiny bar for an overpriced and atmosphere-less drink, and then overpriced after dinner drinks/coffee.

We ate at two other places besides Fairyhill in the Gower - the King's Head Pub in Lllangennith and the Britannia Inn in nearby Llanmaddoc. Personally, I thought the food at the King's Head was just terrible. On the bright side, the Britannia Inn had delicious and reasonably priced dinner, and a cozy modern dining room. I wish we had eaten there all 3 nights!

Stayed September 2008
7 Thank Crickett28
Chalong, Thailand
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Went to fairyhill, it is a big stuffy house.
Paid £40 for 3 courses which was fine but they were nothing special. Starter and main course were fine, desert of filo pastry and apple was alright....sort of.
Decor and atmosphere, very stuffy, not helped by the fact the heating got stuck on. I dont mind going to upscale restaurants if the food is good, but this place is dull and so is the food.

• Liked — didnt stay there
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Catsarecutefact
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reynoldston
Culver House Hotel
#9 of 22 in Swansea
Swansea Marriott Hotel
Swansea Marriott Hotel
#4 of 22 in Swansea

Been to Fairyhill? Share your experiences!