“Wonderful lunch date”
Review of Fairyhill

Fairyhill
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Reynoldston
Reviewed July 4, 2014

For the Mr's birthday treat I decided to go west and try Fairyhill on the Gower Peninsula. Neither of us had been here before although when Dilys was very small, I took her to Oxwich Bay and Castle. We booked for 12noon and before we went though, we sat in the lounge for 10-15 minutes having a drink. We were shown to our table right next to another couple in a corner which to be honest was a bit closer than I would have liked - he spoke very loudly on his phone and she kept jumping out of her seat to take selfies with him.

Anyway, our food began to arrive and it was all lovely. Rob had the chicken liver parfait for starters and I had the cured salmon which were just the right size. The wine Rob chose as he's not a big daytime drinker was a half bottle of Dr Loosen Riesling which he said was very good. For mains I chose the pork shoulder with potato gratin and Rob had the hake which came with what looked like a beautiful beetroot sauce and salad. Both meals were wonderful and really well cooked.

Desserts were also lovely and I had the dark chocolate brownie with cream and raspberries and Rob had the white chocolate and raspberry mousses with chilli jelly - he said the chilli jelly had quite a kick to it!

Coffees were served back in the lounge with a small selection of petit fours. We had a great lunch for a special occasion - it was a shame that as soon as we arrived it started raining so we couldn't enjoy the fabulous looking gardens. We'll definitely come back to Fairyhill, maybe in the winter for my birthday meal.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Nice setting in the Gower. Very friendly welcome. Lounge is relaxed and comfy place to peruse the fairly limited menu. Pleasantly local nibbles of deep fried cockles, and laverbread quiche. Wasn't expecting that kind of thing for a 25 quid fixed price lunch. Wine list is very extensive for a Welsh restaurant. Found a half bottle of Kabinett Riesling which is a favourite lunch time tipple.

Choice of plain or onion bread. Onion bread had good flavour and smell, perhaps slightly stodgy if I'm being hyper-critical. Butter nice and salty, but too cold; but very, very few places, including those 3 or 4 times the price of here seem to manage spreadable butter.

Starter of chicken and duck liver parfait, smooth and flavourful with crunchy fried bread and chutney. Tthere is never enough toast with pate and parfait in restaurants. Main was hake. Nicely cooked and very prettily presented. New potatoes slightly underdone for me, and beetroot perhaps not as deep a flavour as it can be, but I'm being very picky and it was a very enjoyable plate of food. Desert was white chocolate mousse, raspberry ice-cream (more of a frozen yoghurt, ice-cream wasn't the description, but I forget what was), and some odd raspberry and chilli jelly squares that I wasn't too fond of.

Asked to take coffee in the lounge and were told it would be bought through. After waiting for about 20 minutes I had to go and find someone who apologised and bought in a perfectly OK pot of coffee and some nice handmade petit fours.

This is a smart, special occasion sort of place at a very reasonable price, and other than the blip in service at the end would be very uncharitable to fault for the money. Would happily return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Visited here for the first time, as a WI party for the afternoon tea. This hotel is set in idyllic surroundings, with the first impression of an old country house, well preserved and beautifully furnished and maintained. Our party were seated in a small dining room, prior to this we had sat out on the patio, to enjoy afternoon drinks in the warm sunshine.
The afternoon tea was really nicely presented, with ample amounts of sandwiches, cakes and scones. The service was attentive and our teapots were refilled several times. A really lovely afternoon and worthwhile experience, highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2014

A month into our long trip and we come to Fairyhill on the Gower peninsular. What a delight, a wonderful setting, tranquility and generous hosts. Our room is super-sized with all possible amenities. It's only one night but we feel all the stresses of travel falling away as if by magic. And we haven't even got to dinner yet, the speciality of the hotel. It did not disappoint. He went with the pork belly and scallops and she went with the rabbit. Both were quite excellent. The owner is also a wine merchant so you will know we were able to find an excellent Bordeaux at a very reasonable price. Fairyhill was a high point in our travels. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AJ&ERtravel
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We booked a table for 10 well in advance, this being an annual get-together of 5 couples. We ate dinner here on a Friday evening in early June. The choices were good, the service and food quality excellent. The table was beautifully set, and they coped with a group of 10 very easily.

A nice touch was that we had a room to ourselves for pre-dinner drinks. When we had made the booking, we had asked about local taxi companies, and their advice was good. I would really recommend Fairyhill for a special meal. As a group of 10 we have eaten in many smart restaurants over the years, including Michelin starred ones, and Fairyhill comes out in our top 3. To get a flavour of what their food is like, see their website and sample menus.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary B
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I've given up reviewing the average on this site: all those Beefeaters and Premier Inns and so forth - they will all do in their own way but I'm bored of writing about purple rooms and adequate chips.

As such therefore I have this year only been reviewing the good and the bad and - frankly - there's been a lot more of the latter lately.

Therefore when I come across a truly excellent restaurant (as was the use I put this hotel to) I am minded to shout it from the rooftops.

The food at this place is exceptional and (to London wallets) very good value.

For my wife's birthday we booked lunch and although we were late (got lost) the staff were as friendly and welcoming as you could ever hope to expect.

Food superb - salmon and scrambled egg for starter followed by a lovely steak for mains. It came with a bernaise that smelt superb but I hardly touched that because the steak itself was so superb saucing it would have been like whitewashing a da Vinci fresco.

Desert was an excellent homemade brownie and coffees came with some beautiful petit fours.

My only regret is that I was driving and therefore could not fully avail myself of the excellent wine list. However they did have a super Burgundy available in a half bottle so I could at least have myself a very decent glass.

In all superb and one day I will come back and use it as a hotel as well.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Octopia
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My friend and I needed a relaxing week away from our stressful lives and we found peace and tranquility here at Fairyhill. Andrew and Paul, together with their wonderful team, spoilt us during our whole stay here! They also welcomed my two dogs who were allowed to roam the 24 acres of gardens. The ambience is sublime and the service from every member of the team was excellent. We enjoyed superb breakfasts, lunches and dinners not to mention indulging in the amazing selection of wines. The little touches in the rooms such as fresh fruit, etc. and the high standard of housekeeping add to the experience.

My friend and I also took advantage of the indulgent treatments such as massages, which I highly recommend.

The location of the hotel means there are plenty of wonderful Gower beaches to enjoy and life here runs at a much more sedate pace!

I have already booked to return and would like to thank everyone at Fairyhill for making our stay so wonderful.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Makadoos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reynoldston
Oxwich Bay Hotel
#3 of 3 in Mumbles
Stradey Park Hotel & Spa
Stradey Park Hotel & Spa
#3 of 10 in Llanelli

Been to Fairyhill? Share your experiences!