“What a wonderful small hotel”
Review of Fairyhill

Fairyhill
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Reynoldston
Reviewed June 28, 2011

If you are looking for a moment of time to relax and be at peace in the middle of the Gower, this is the only place. Spoilt from the moment you walk in the door, it is very hard to find any weakness during a stay. The staff are helpful, friendly, amusing, attentive but non intrusive. The food is excellent and the rooms a delight. You are awakened by bird song and drift off to sleep with the flames from lanterns gently burning on the patio in the gardens.
If you should feel energetic, a short drive takes you through the beautiful Gower, past groups of sheep or ponies and into Swansea. Alternately walking is through typical coastal scenery and if the coastal sandy beaches call then Caswell, Langland, Oxwich and the sweeping gradeur of Rhossilli are all just a stones throw away.
There is no place quite like Fairyhill - it is just magical.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Fairyhill

Reviewed June 26, 2011

Although we didn't stay, we did go for lunch while staying in the Gower. The menu was comprehensive, the wine list a delight, the service amazing and the location and atmosphere out of this world. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Glam7469
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Friendly, polite service from owners and staff and a supremely relaxing atmosphere help to make this small country house hotel a very special place and one which we have returned to several times. In winter open fires make the small intimate bar and larger 'country house' style lounge cosy and inviting. The whole place is immaculately kept and nothing is too much trouble for the staff, including tea and sandwiches on arrival in the afternoon - outside on the terrace if the weather is warm enough.
Bedrooms vary in size according the price, for our last stay we booked the delux double room overlookng the terrace and garden, which has a sitting area and a large bright and luxurious bathroom.
The restaurant is charming and dinner is has been excellent at each visit, with a modern menu using seasonal ingredients locally sourced - by far the best restaurant for miles around, popular at weekends so you will need to book in advance.
Although probably not ideal for families with young children the hotel is peaceful and relaxing and ideal for couples looking for a romantic getaway.
Prices may appear higher than average but such a special place is well worth paying extra for.

Room Tip: Largest rooms are those overlooking the terrace.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I was bought a night away with evening dinner by my partner as a Christmas present, and whilst I was truly delighted on Christmas day that was nothing compared to how I felt throughout our stay.

We turned up and my initial thoughts were good. As you enter the car park you are greeted by what looked like a homely country retreated tucked away in the heart of Gower. As we entered the building we were made to feel right at home from the offset, and when we were shown to our room we felt so spoiled (we stayed in room number 1 – which was a nice upgrade from the hotel). The room was spacious with dual aspect views across the expanse of Gardens (which I would highly recommend you walk through). The room itself was very generously sized with a big comfy bed, a sofa and armchair, and sat on the coffee table a bowl of cherries (I love the small attention to detail you get at Fairyhill). The bathroom had a big bath, separate power shower and a couple of bathrobes to make you feel right at home.

The evening meal was simply divine. We started with a drink in the bar whilst we pondered the mouth watering menu, and the little canapés served whilst we waited were sublime. To start I had the timbale of smoked salmon and my partner the chicken ravioli, and for main course we both had the venison (a combination of the loin and a sausage) served with a rich meaty sauce, with a well balanced hint of chocolate. For dessert my partner had the chocolate mousse cake and I had the cheese (my only criticism was that I would have liked a better balance of hard and soft cheeses, but that’s just personal preference), and I must admit I had food envy over his cake!

Whilst neither of us felt particularly hungry the next morning having been so well fed and watered the prior evening, we did however venture down for breakfast. The variety of breakfast items are all you could ever want! I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and he had the omelette. There’s a variety of fruit, cereal, organic yoghurt, fruit juices and fresh loafs of bread waiting for you to cut away and make chunky slices of toast.

The fact that I haven’t stopped talking about this place shows what a truly magnificent time we both had during our brief, yet unforgettable, stay at Fairyhill.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hywelwilliams
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I have had the luxury of staying at this hotel on two occasions, the first time as guests and the second time we chose it of our own accord. In fact we could not wait to come back! My husband and i will definately be returning, as will friends of ours who stayed the same time. It is everything it says it is. The venue, the rooms, the staff and service are second to none. I can't say enough about the food it was truly delicious and the wine was superb. The welcome and hospitality was genuine and the warmth experienced was not just from the open fire. The staff were accomodating yet not intrusive. Its countryside location is ideal for those who want to get away from it all and be spoiled rotten.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Had a lovely meal here.
But there's a but.
At £35 for two courses and £45 for three, you might think you'd be in a michelin-starred restaurant in London.
But you're not.
You (in our case) are in an empty dining room with good-but-not-spectacular food.

Not a good start. And while the food was good, the single espresso charged at £4.50 is the one thing I will always remember.
Just in case you missed that, that's £4.50. for a SINGLE ESPRESSO.

Ridiculous, disappointing. I shall't be going back.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pedrobob
Reviewed January 5, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Fairy Hill twice now and on each occasion I have returned relaxed and revived. We arrived and asked for a room on-spec and got quite a discount so it's worth ringing or checking the website for late availability.

It's a beautiful house with discreet staff and great food. It's not the cheapest place to stay or eat but if you want to guarantee a good evening then I feel it's a small price to pay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WelshSian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reynoldston
Oxwich Bay Hotel
Norton House Hotel & Restaurant
The Mumbles Hotel
The Mumbles Hotel
#3 of 3 in Mumbles

Been to Fairyhill? Share your experiences!