“Possibly some of the worst service I have ever received”

Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rossett
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Possibly some of the worst service I have ever received”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have just stayed here for a night on business and after a long day wanted nothing more than a meal and to go to bed. The receptionist was extremely helpful and after checking in, met a colleague in the restaurant for food. My colleague informed me that he was not so impressed with the 'present' that someone had left in his toilet!

There were no staff around and so we had to go hunting behind the bar for a menu. It turns our that they had a function on there and so the other hotel guests were more of an inconvenience for them. Eventually, someone turned up. I wanted to eat from the a la carte menu whilst my colleague wanted the bar menu, however he was not allowed to sit in the restaurant to eat this so we both went in the bar instead. I can understand this if it was busy, however the restaurant was empty and so this was a bit picky.

Service then got progressively worse with long delays of about 20 minutes before we could find our waiter each time who told us at one point he had been busy photocopying - obviously a task best suited to when there are waiting customers. It certainly wasn't customer comment cards though that he was copying...

When I finally got to dessert, I was in the middle of eating this when he reappeared asking me to sign a receipt for drinks. Not something I really wanted to be bothered with in the middle of eating my food - surely that could have waited? His whole attitude was blunt & cocky and we were made to feel like an inconvenience and that their priority were the guests in the function room.

The food there was excellent, both for the evening meal and breakfast. Service from reception was also particularly good and fully credit to Emily there who did look after us.

Whilst this looks to be a lovely venue for a wedding, it is not somewhere I would return to based on the very disappointing service experience I received.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Northop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Lovely Hotel/Country house for a wedding! A beautiful, romantic setting with friendly staff who couldnt do enough to make our day that extra special. The food was outstanding and well presented. Thank you so very much for the extra personal touches!

Thank you to all the staff at Llyndir Hall Hotel for a fantastic day and night and a special thank you to Naomi for all your help in helping us plan our wedding. We had an amazing day and we will never forget it! Y&DC

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having previously dined at Lyndir in late 2011 we once again looked forward to another exceptional evening of good food, service and ambience. Instead what we experienced was a car crash in customer service. If our original trip was an example of how to treat customers the last trip was just the opposite.
To make matters worse the occasion was a special birthday treat for my wife, and a thank you to my Mother.
Upon entering Lyndir it became quickly obvious to us that the hotel was having a busy evening. We arrived at 7pm in good time for our 07.30pm reservation in the hotel's main restaurant. Having made our way into the bar area we were greeted with 'What are you here for?' to which I replied to dine. Immediately we were offered our table rather than to sit in the lounge for any pre-dinner drinks, so I asked if they'd mind if we sat in the lounge to browse the menu. We then ordered a bottle of Prosecco and two diet cokes for my two boys (16 and 14 years of age). The waitress returned with the drinks and asked if I wanted her to open the Prosecco, to which I said yes, and then she then asked if I wanted her to pour the drinks, to which I once again said yes.
We then looked through the menu and the same waitress returned and took our order, which comprised starters of two filo pastry tarts, a mushroom creme brulee and a smoked duck. Main course was three lamb noisettes and we were asked how we wanted these (1 pink and 2 dishes slightly more done) fillet steak and pepper sauce and a chicken breast in sauce. To drink we also ordered a bottle of Pinotage.
A few minutes later we told that our table was ready and would we like to come through. As we hadn't finished our pre-dinner drinks I asked if we were to bring our drinks through to our table to which the waitress replied 'If you want to!'
When we arrived at the table I noticed our bottle of red Pinotage was already on the table but with the screw cap still in place. Having waited to see if anyone was going to offer us the wine to try, I ended up opening the bottle and pouring our wine. This continued to be the case throughout our meal.
The starters then arrived and the smoked duck plate came on a long thin plate that was too wide for the place settings. Instead of moving the knives and forks the waiter crashed the cutlery out of the way to make room for the plate. We all could not believe what we were seeing.
The main course then arrived and I mentioned that my lamb was ordered 'pink' to which the waitress responded 'They're all pink'. we carried on.
Finally we ordered deserts for all, with one being a cheese course. I then asked the waiter if I could have a dessert wine. He then asked 'What's a dessert wine?' I gave up at this point.
At a hotel/restaurant that charges £7.50 for it's starters and £22 for each of the lamb main courses, £25 for the fillet steak, and then £6 - £7 for each dessert, you'd expect this to be high end cuisine. What we got was service that was more like a low end cafe!
Finally when paying the bill I asked if I could have my mushroom starter removed from the bill as I didn't enjoy the dish. I was told by the restaurant duty manager that it was too late to do this as the system couldn't remove the item, but that she would remove the last two diet cokes ordered from the bill. (£220.00 total bill)
We weren't even offered a coffee.
I took a day to consider our evening and then decided to take the time to share my experience with the hotel manager Ed Dooley who, on the following Monday, offered a sympathetic ear and listened carefully to our dreadful experience. He then said that when we next visited, which I thought a bit presumptious that we would want to, he would make sure our bill was drastically reduced. He also said he would be discussing this with his senior team. Unfortunately having left Ed with my telephone number he didn't call me back to let me know what the outcome had been.
It's saddening to say I certainly want be rushing to part with £200+ for what was meant to be a celebration and a fine dining experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NEIL J
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way home from the Isle of Man. The room was comfortable, clean and well maintained.
We had a meal in the restaurant which was excellent. I said to the waitress that this was the best Fillet steak that I have ever tasted.
The breakfast was a hot and cold buffet. The only minor thing was that the there was a length of time before things were topped up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Terry L
Neath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a lovely hotel in great quiet location but just off J7 of the 483. The public areas are airy and relaxed.
lovely grounds and excellent business room
Pool could do with an update and extension
some of the rooms a bit dark
FOOD is REALLY GOOD!
There is a haunted room apparently so check that one out!

Room Tip: ask for the newly renovated woodland rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
wrexham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night for a friends wedding, lovely room, decor very nice. Used the pool and sauna, tea and coffee facilities in room, flat screen TV. Lovely room for the wedding reception. Breakfast in the morning was very nice, cereal, fresh toast, croissants, fresh orange juice, followed by full English. Staff polite, can't fault it

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sprice31
Wakefield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Although the setting is grandiose and the exterior appears to be classy, the reality indoors is very different. We were given a very dark, dingy and grimy room which was a throwback to yesteryear. The bathroom door lock was non existent and the decor was amateurish. We were moved to another room which wasn't much better. The wallpaper needed a scrub, the shower was appalling and the water was lukewarm. At breakfast the service was hopeless and the food was cold. It was no surprise that we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay when we left as I expect our answer would have been a foregone conclusion. This was the worst Best Western Hotel we have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Racingcert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossett
Rossett Hall Hotel
Ramada Plaza Wrexham
Ramada Plaza Wrexham
#3 of 10 in Wrexham
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South? Share your experiences!