“Good .... and not so good.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South

Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rossett
wales
“Good .... and not so good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel in recent years has had a refit...and to be honest it is a vast improvement asthetically since our last visit approximately 7 years ago. The hotel looks lpristine, and the room we were allocated (No.42) was a refurbished room...and was very tastefully decorated.

We had booked a D,B&B rate of £90. This was a great deal, but I gather this has now ended.

The above was the 'good' and now for the 'not so good'

Our 3 course meals were very good, but the rack of lamb I received was bordering on raw, so unfortunately it was sent back. The replacement was the same piece of lamb, but put on a griddle to cook further! The dinner (3 course) is £34.95 ...so not cheap.

We ordered two cooked breakfast, mine came after a long wait...but unfortunately, my husband's failed to turn up at all! When we inquired about the missing breakfast, the server had no idea about the order! Twenty minutes after I finished my breakfast, the breakfast order for my husband turned up! Really not good enough. We were the only ones in the restaurant when breakfast service had finished at just after 10am. We had sat at our table before 9am...a good job we were not in a hurry, otherwise we would have had to leave before the second breakfast turned up!

At reception upon checking in, we were asked f we would like to order a morning paper for the following morning...we requested the Times. No morning paper turned up outside our room! Oh dear...such a simple request.

On checking out, we were not asked about our stay..whether we enjoyed our stay, if everything was ok? and for this reason, I did not mention their failings in service. Had I been asked (as I think I should have) then I would have aired my disappointment as regards the above problems.

In my opinion, too many shortcomings for a one night stay. It could be so much better. Such a shame.

Would I return? Not a definite 'no' but would seek other hotels first before booking, as there are a few in the same category in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms on ground floor
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I found reception friendly and helpful even after a mishap with the room. The room was quiet and the bed was huge!

In the restaurant I had such a great meal with the two hilarious and friendly waitresses. The food was also a delight.

Breakfast was also nice - cold meats, cheeses, fruits, everything cooked fresh...

I was staying here for business and will recommend it to colleagues, I will also return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LIVERPOOL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked the spring break @ 99.00 which included an executive room upgrade , breakfast , and a 3 course evening meal ., on arrival the hotel and grounds look majestic , and the receptionist was helpful polite and professional . On entering our room we were very slightly dissapointed , but upon ringing reception we were moved immediately , with apologies and a complimentary drink at the bar , and on returning to our room we had a nice cold bottle of Prosecco waiting for us with the staffs compliments , a lovely touch . In the run up to our stay my wife had been ill and around tea time she wasn't feeling 100 percent so I rang reception and enquired if it would be possible to have our evening meal in the room , she wasn't sure but she would enquire. 5 minutes a waitress arrived with menus and less than 30 minutes later our meals arrived , which I have to say were delicious and piping hot ! The whole hotel is spotlessly Clean , the bar area well stocked and bright , the staff seem very happy in the jobs and gave off a positive vibe and were very accommodating and adaptable . Overall a very enjoyable break and I would thoroughly recommend the hotel , role on the end Of May when hopefully we will return for my birthday ! 10 out of ten from us !!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mike W
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

we booked a '' superior double room '' which is described as a larger newly refurbished room on their website !! - this we found to be very misleading - in fact this is more of a trading standards issue - the bedroom had numerous problems which anyone could see - and following two requests I am still waiting for the manager to phone me - having put our stay down to experience be warned - before you check in ask to see the bedroom first.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phoenixflyer2007
Buxton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have stayed here previously and although the rooms were only average for the high price,the food had been excellent.
Last night we returned and were extremely disappointed at the service and more so with the food.The staff were all very smiley and friendly but NONE seemed to get the point.The food we were offered was a limited choice at a high price .It was carefully explained to me that I didn't actually have to eat the dessert I wouldn't want(???Did I think the place so bad that I would be force fed?)
We smiled, chose from a menu we weren't interested in,my husband left most of each course .The food was not at all good and the following morning I saw the bar menu which looked very interesting and had never been offered.
We were charged £10 more each than had been quoted the night before and it wasn't until I became very angry(not a nice start to a day or a supposed relaxing break)that the manager agreed to refund the overcharge.No suggestion of recompense for poor meal or lack of information No real understanding of the issues-tried to tell me how I hadn't dealt with it well enough-should have summoned him mid meal apparently-not how I would choose to spend my saturday evening..I was assured the night before and again in the morning that it was all to do with their decision to upgrade the restaurant in order to gain a rosette(?worse choice,poor food?).WE won't return and will stop recommending to friends and family.Such a shame.

1 Thank 190756Rose
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I found our room extremely comfortable and clean with a comfortable bed and pillows, lovely furnishings and tastefully decorated with lamps with a good colour scheme. The bathroom was immaculate with excellent lighting over the mirror. The room was quite quiet and the overall setting of the hotel is tranquil.
We used the indoor swimming pool which was of a good temperature although we could not use the sauna as it was not working.
We were meeting friends on the Wirral that evening so did not sample the menu but on a previous occasion we had found the bar menu to be very tasty.
We loved the breakfast: such a lot to choose from on the buffet table including meats and cheeses. I also enjoyed the kipper and poached egg(cooked to perfection) from the kitchen.
The service was friendly and efficient and we look forward to staying there again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and overlooked a grassy garden. quite peaceful.
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

stayed in many different hotels over the years with the family (wife and 2 boys) never had a bad room ever until now. room 2 wasnt quiet had the fans outside on the flat roof above the swimming pool no thermastat to control heating turned radiators off and still too hot. lovely large double bed luckily to fit extra child due to uncomfortable camp bed(the one that goes under sofa bed) bathroom furnishings not 100 percent ie cracked toilet and cistern no hot water until we rang reception ! and tv remote not working and changed after asking for the second time. On a positive note the breakfast was first class and the staff were very friendly and helpful . Location is good and ideal setting for a wedding but please look after guests who are not involved with the wedding party .....small problems add up to big problems!

Room Tip: away from flat roof above swimming pool and disco music from wedding
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank paul m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossett
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,070 reviews

Been to Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South? Share your experiences!