“Good value friendly comfortable hotel in a great location”
Review of Rossett Hall Hotel

Rossett Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rossett
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have stayed here many times over the past few years and keep coming back. The hotel is located close to Chester with loads of parking in front of the hotel and a bus service at the door which has you in Chester in 20 minutes. The hotel is an old style hall but most of the rooms are in the modern extensions and well up to standard particularly given the cost in an area that can be expensive. It seems that management has changed in the past year and a decluttering has taken place which is all the better for this. Breakfast could be better but perfectly reasonable as well and you have the option of booking with or without breakfast

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin E, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Rossett Hall and for your kind comments. I am very pleased you enjoy staying at the hotel and enjoy the local area. After reading your comments, I have taken the opportunity to review our breakfast standards so improvements can be made and a quality experience had by all our guests.

Convivial Hotels purchased Rossett hall in late December and are planning to invest greatly in the property over the next six months. Our future guests will enjoy improved accommodation, refurbished public areas and an exciting new restaurant concept.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you to Rossett Hall in the future.

Kind regards

Martin Elliott, General Manager

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I was looking forward to our stay after reading the good reviews but was quite disappointed. Although the bar and restaurant were very nice our room was quite dated and cold. The tv did not work for several hours and the wi-fi did not work in our room. We had to ask for teabags and the spoons were dirty. When checking out we were also presented with the wrong bill. After paying £90 for our stay we felt like we hadn't got value for our money.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Rossett Hall after your recent stay. I was please to read your kind comments regarding the bar and restaurant, but obviously disappointed that you did not find the accommodation facilities as appealing.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any dis-satisfaction these negative issues may have caused, but be assured that I have taken you comments constructively and with my team will use them to ensure future guest do not have a similar experience.

In late December, Rossett Hall was purchased by Convivial Hotels who over the next six months will be investing greatly in the property and its facilities. Our future guests will enjoy improved accommodation, refurbished public areas and an exciting new restaurant concept. I would be very pleased if you would consider revisiting Rossett Hall in the future, giving us an opportunity to show you the improved facilities and the quality standards we have put in place. If you do consider another visit to our area please allow me to manage your booking by telephoning me personally with your requirements.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Kind regards

Martin Elliott, General Manager

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've got to say that considering this is a three star hotel, I was very, very impressed! My friend and I got a brilliant groupon deal to this hotel and it was fab!! Due to the excellent deal we got, I was expecting somewhere very cheap. I also haven't stayed in a three star before, but I was pleasantly surprised and will definintely stay in three star again!!
The hotel looked a lot better when you actually see it, compared to the pictures shown (the pictures were ok too). The hotel is pretty easy to find, but is on a long road so if you're using a satnav, its a good idea to make a note of one of the side streets next to the hotel. The hotel has a big sign outside, a big entrance and a big free car park at the front, which also leads to the back. The building is lovely, cosy and spacious inside, which gives it a warm welcome.
Our room was very nice - rooms and hallway are all carpeted, we had twin beds, bed side tables, a TV, table and chairs, a wardrobe and a trouser press (you have to request an iron from reception). There was also a kettle with coffee/tea and biscuits. The en-suite was clean, warm, and plenty of towels.
Hotel also consists of one restaurant called Oscar's, and this was a one minute walk from our room. The restaurant is spacious and looks very clean.The staff in the hotel and restaurant were very friendly and helpful. As part of the groupon deal, we were given a free bottle of wine. As my friend and I, don't drink wine, the bar staff were more than happy to swap this for another drink - two bottles of J2O.
Breakfast - served until 9.30am (later at weekends) and this was fantastic as there was plenty of choice!! You could have a cooked breakfast - sausage, tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, egg (scrambled egg is provided, but you have to inform breakfast staff if you want egg to be fried). Toast, fruit, yoghurt, cereals and a range of drinks (tea/coffee, apple juice, orange juice and more) are also provided and you can eat as much as you want!
Going out - there are two bus stops which are a one minute walk from the hotel. They take you into Chester and Wrexham (shopping in Chester is much nicer than Wrexham). The buses will drop you back off at these bus stops, which is ideal, as you only have a minutes walk back to the hotel! There are also a few pubs near the hotel too. We went to one and this was a three minute walk from the hotel.... so ideal :-)

Great stay, great location, really enjoyed it and the bonus for us was the excellent groupon deal we got. Thank you Rossett Hall Hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments! I am really pleased you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel.

I have taken your comments on board about the irons and we are currently in a program of fitting irons and ironing boards into all the bedrooms for guest convience.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed in this lovely hotel last year for a weekend break and enjoyed every moment. Staff were very friendly and helpful and our room comfortable and spotlessly clean. We had dinner both nights which was first class and breakfast was delicious. Took the car to the park and ride which is quite near and went into Chester also there is so much around the district to visit. All in all we had a perfect weekend and would definately return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of Rossett Hall Hotel, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward in welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

stayed here on November 3rd on arriving receptionist said she had been trying to get in touch to tell us the heating in the part of the hotel we had booked had gone off she arranged a king-size room and knocked twenty pound of the bill. Oscars restaurant fab meal great service ,the same for breakfast too , all in all a great hotel,young staff but well organised and a really pleasant stay would recommend to friends and would stay again i don't know what some people want !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kags507
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your review of Rossett Hall, firstly let me apologise for the heating breakdown in the executive wing of the hotel, unfortunatley this was out of our control, but I hope the steps we took to re accommidate you were sufficient.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Oscars restaurant and that you found the service to be helpful.

We look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

As most of out trips are these days this was a Groupon special and so good value for money. The room seemed clean and comfortable enough (I don't go round inspecting closely).

My main qualm is that there seems to be a lack of staff and a lack of staff training. There were a lot of minor niggles like the receptionist forgetting to give us a wine voucher. The main niggle was a 'feature' of more than this hotel. My wife uses an electric wheelchair and, in order to make the restaurant accessible, a wheelchair platform lift had bee installed (the corridor was long enough for a ramp which would probably have been cheaper and far more practical). The first problem that we had was that, when we wanted to go for dinner there was no-one around to operate it. In the end we went round the building's exterior and into the restaurant from the outside entrance.

We were told by the restaurant staff that there had been a short staff meeting (at 19:15????????). Because most of the tables are on a raised platform we were forced to sit in the breakfast serving area which was not very pleasant. I thought that the menu was overpriced. We were served by a couple of young girls, neither of whom seemed to know properly what they were doing. Neither my wife nor I was impressed by our meals and I really wish staff would would ask how I like things cooked as I always forget to mention that I do not like undercooked veg. Also, in this instance I found the lamb's liver to be undercooked also. My wife was given the wrong dessert and after querying it found that the waitress had given her an out of date dessert menu and the kitchen had just substituted the order with the nearest thing. The final niggle was that we were not able to pay the £2 difference in price between the house wine we had the voucher for and the wine we would have liked. All we were offered was £5 off which made a £9 difference.

On returning to the room I had to put a ramp in place in order for my wife to get over one step (it did not get shifted again while we were there and so I have no idea why it was not in place). The receptionist was there to operate the wheelchair platform.

In the morning the receptionist did not know how to operate the platform lift and it took her a few goes to get it right. Glad to say that breakfast was better than a lot of hotels I've been in even if offering a smaller choice. When we went back to the room we found the controls had been left plugged in to the lift indicating that we were expected to operate it ourselves (which we did).

After visiting Cheshire Oaks (worth it) and my wife having her smartphone stolen we decided to forgo the second night and went home. Interestingly when we returned to the hotel there was a large police presence but we never did find out why.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Rossett Hall Hotel. I would like to firstly apologise on behalf of the hotel and its team for the issues you experienced during your stay.

Since your review all members of staff have been re-trained in operating the wheelchair lift and I can only apologise for the service you received on this occasion.

In regards to the vegetables, as a general rule we do cook them al dente, however, if we had been aware we would have been more than happy to accommodate you.

As for the police presence, this was due to a minor incident with a guest who was asked to leave the hotel, although disruption was minimal.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope the rest of your trip was most enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. Nice location and well run hotel and reasonable value. The staff were very helpful, the room was clean and fairly spacious. However, the place is tired and looks to me due for overdue renovation. The restaurant was probably the most disappointing. While the food was fine and the staff helpful and friendly, it's not a particular nice environment and lets down the whole hotel. On the whole OK and not bad option for a business stay for nearby Wrexham or Chester.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback about Rossett Hall, we are currently looking at a refurbishment programme to include the guest areas of the hotel and the restaurant. We are always looking at ways to improve the hotel and the service we offer.

We look forward in seeing you soon here at the hotel.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossett
Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Travelodge Wrexham
Travelodge Wrexham
#5 of 10 in Wrexham
The Lemon Tree Restaurant with Rooms

Been to Rossett Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!