“Could do better”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rossett
Leigh, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

As most of out trips are these days this was a Groupon special and so good value for money. The room seemed clean and comfortable enough (I don't go round inspecting closely).

My main qualm is that there seems to be a lack of staff and a lack of staff training. There were a lot of minor niggles like the receptionist forgetting to give us a wine voucher. The main niggle was a 'feature' of more than this hotel. My wife uses an electric wheelchair and, in order to make the restaurant accessible, a wheelchair platform lift had bee installed (the corridor was long enough for a ramp which would probably have been cheaper and far more practical). The first problem that we had was that, when we wanted to go for dinner there was no-one around to operate it. In the end we went round the building's exterior and into the restaurant from the outside entrance.

We were told by the restaurant staff that there had been a short staff meeting (at 19:15????????). Because most of the tables are on a raised platform we were forced to sit in the breakfast serving area which was not very pleasant. I thought that the menu was overpriced. We were served by a couple of young girls, neither of whom seemed to know properly what they were doing. Neither my wife nor I was impressed by our meals and I really wish staff would would ask how I like things cooked as I always forget to mention that I do not like undercooked veg. Also, in this instance I found the lamb's liver to be undercooked also. My wife was given the wrong dessert and after querying it found that the waitress had given her an out of date dessert menu and the kitchen had just substituted the order with the nearest thing. The final niggle was that we were not able to pay the £2 difference in price between the house wine we had the voucher for and the wine we would have liked. All we were offered was £5 off which made a £9 difference.

On returning to the room I had to put a ramp in place in order for my wife to get over one step (it did not get shifted again while we were there and so I have no idea why it was not in place). The receptionist was there to operate the wheelchair platform.

In the morning the receptionist did not know how to operate the platform lift and it took her a few goes to get it right. Glad to say that breakfast was better than a lot of hotels I've been in even if offering a smaller choice. When we went back to the room we found the controls had been left plugged in to the lift indicating that we were expected to operate it ourselves (which we did).

After visiting Cheshire Oaks (worth it) and my wife having her smartphone stolen we decided to forgo the second night and went home. Interestingly when we returned to the hotel there was a large police presence but we never did find out why.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Rossett Hall Hotel. I would like to firstly apologise on behalf of the hotel and its team for the issues you experienced during your stay.

Since your review all members of staff have been re-trained in operating the wheelchair lift and I can only apologise for the service you received on this occasion.

In regards to the vegetables, as a general rule we do cook them al dente, however, if we had been aware we would have been more than happy to accommodate you.

As for the police presence, this was due to a minor incident with a guest who was asked to leave the hotel, although disruption was minimal.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope the rest of your trip was most enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. Nice location and well run hotel and reasonable value. The staff were very helpful, the room was clean and fairly spacious. However, the place is tired and looks to me due for overdue renovation. The restaurant was probably the most disappointing. While the food was fine and the staff helpful and friendly, it's not a particular nice environment and lets down the whole hotel. On the whole OK and not bad option for a business stay for nearby Wrexham or Chester.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chris H, General Manager at Rossett Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback about Rossett Hall, we are currently looking at a refurbishment programme to include the guest areas of the hotel and the restaurant. We are always looking at ways to improve the hotel and the service we offer.

We look forward in seeing you soon here at the hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed our weekend break away to Rossett Hall the room was spacious and a very high standard. Breakfast was lovely with lots of variety. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful with everything including assisting us in where we should go for a day out. We were recommended Chirk Castle which was beautiful, we had a great day out. We didn't eat lunch or dinner at the hotel but went for a short stroll around the village instead and found a lovely pub called the Alyn which I would highly recommend if staying at the hotel or nearby. Overall a pleasant stay.

Dear charliewarlie91

Thank you for your review. It always gives me great pleasue in reading when our guests have had an enjoyable stay with us. I am happy you enjoyed your day out at Chirk Castle.

We hope to see you again very soon at Rossett Hall when hopefully we can reccommend some other great days out for you.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I bought our 2 night B&B stay as a Groupon (being a very skint mature student) and was a little apprehensive when I read the reviews on here.
However, there was no apprehension when we arrived! Brilliant location being half way between Wrexham and Chester. Lots of parking.
The receptionist was lovely, and very knowledgable on local info including restaurants and bus availability.
Breakfast catered for all, from yoghurts and fruit to toast, croissants (pain au chocolat a little dry - my only quibble!) and full cooked breakfasts available at a serve yourself buffet. My husband approved so much of the breakfasts he had two, both mornings of our stay!
Overall; the room was huge, the bed massive and very comfortable, all staff we met were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
I'll be keeping an eye out for further groupons as this deal was amazing and highly reccommended. Thank you!

Room Tip: The modern extension was away from the bustle of restaurant and bar, yet once inside you didn't...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased you had a great stay with us, we pride ourselfes on customer service with nothing being too much trouble for our guests.

We are going to run another groupon promotion very soon so keep your eyes on the groupon website.

We hope to see you again very soon at Rossett Hall.

Holy Island, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

On first impression hotel seemed quite nice,check in very slow and this is when they take your money the first time ! My room was fine but on closer inspection was in need of a good clean, they dont do corners, behind doors, window frames, or toilet seats(Very grubby round fittings-YUK)!Housekeeper obviously doesn't check rooms before they are used .There was also a bin bag left on the sinktop ,no bathmat, only one hand towel and one small bath towel as this was a double room I would expect a bath towel each at the very least. Cleaner must have been halfway through room and just left . Breakfast was very poor, not enough staff ,just one waiter for all tables, and then it is just a help yourself buffet , even down to making your own toast! I didn,t pay for breakfast just to do it myself . - for goodness sake cook to order its what people want !!!
Checking out was even longer than checking in and then they TAKE YOUR MONEY AGAIN !!! Only one receptionist to cope with everyone trying to check out -,more staffing issues, this hotel is clearly being run on a shoestring
Suffice it to say I am still trying to get 2nd payment back , when I spoke to the hotel they said they couldn't give me a refund as this and I quote "IT COULD LEAVE THE HOTEL OUT OF POCKET" but its fine for me to be out of pocket .
I cant imagine I will stay here again and neither will the other 25 people in our party which is a shame because location is perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank robs40
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, I am sorry for the problems you faced with the bedroom, I have reviewed your comments with the housekeeping team and the head housekeeper who are taking steps to ensure it dosent happen again. I know we have been in contact about the pre-authoriastion issues and hopefully this has now been sorted out.

perthshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My second stay this year. The rooms are very clean, beds extremely comfortable and staff pleasant and helpful. This should be a 5* review. Unfortunately the hotel's buffet breakfast lets it down again and is your last impression before you depart! Overcooked & very salty bacon, no fried eggs on offer only scrambled; the toast has to be put through the toaster 3 times before it is brown, no butter on the table & had to chase staff to order tea/coffee. Sad but true.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Freda16
Dear Freda16,

Thank you for your review of Rossett Hall, I was dissapointed to read about your breakfast experience. I have reveiwed your breakfast experience with the Restaurant Manager and we have already made imporvements to the service on offer.

I have also since changed the supplier of bacon and I can say the new bacon is not as salty. In regards to the eggs, we took fried eggs off the buffett as they dont keep well under the hot lights, but please feel free to order a freshly cooked egg in the future.

We do hope to see you again at Rossett Hall very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel is upto date, very nice and welcome. The staff were friendly, helpful and polite I even offered the night staff man a cookie. The room was amazing, very well kept by the house keeping staff. The prices are worth the money, the restaurant is lovely and the food is very nice, my only down side on that breakfast was the coffee, but each to their own. Id suggest this to anyone and I hope for us to return one day.

Me and my partner celebrated our 3rd year together here, we went to chirk castle where the staff suggested and we loved it.

1 Thank Daniel M
Dear Daniel,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Rossett Hall, it is always a pleasure when we hear great feedback from our guests.

I am happy that you have chosen Rossett Hall again and we will look forward in welcoming you for a 4th time in the near future!!

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossett
Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Ramada Plaza Wrexham
#3 of 10 in Wrexham
The Lemon Tree Restaurant with Rooms
Premier Inn Wrexham Town Centre Hotel

Been to Rossett Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!