“Romatic getaway!”
Review of Buckley Arms Hotel

Buckley Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dinas Mawddwy
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I booked this hotel as part of my boyfriends birthday trip away. We stayed in the room with a four poster bed and certainly based on this room, I cannot believe it is a 2* hotel. It was absolutely fantastic. The bathroom had a bath and a seperate shower, both big enough for two! The view from the window was beautiful. The bedroom was gorgeous and had a tray for tea and coffee with biscuits and bottled mineral water.
It is in the middle of nowhere so its very quiet. The restuarant food is delicious however a little pricy. The room also had two chairs and a dressing table and was lovely and warm. I would definately stay again and that room was like a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C_xUk

Reviewed October 12, 2009

After reading previous reviews i think they must of stayed in a completely different place, as my hotel stay was wonderful.

On my entry to the hotel, i was met my a very friendly couple who couldn't do enough for us, my husband asked about the security/key idea that was mentioned in a previous review, They couldn't be more helpful, even explaining how the system worked and showing me on another door how impossible it would be to gain entry to the other rooms.

I had the superior twin room Dyfi.... all i can say is wow to the views of the Dyfi valley and the bubbling river, you couldn't ask for a better view first thing in the morning. The bathroom was massive and so luxurious, and it was kept so clean, the housekeeping must obviously work very hard at keeping it that clean.

The restaurant faced the Dyfi valley as well, so i could soak up more of the wonderful valley views. The breakfasts were hearty sized portions and i've never tasted such wonderful sausages anywhere.....

I couldn't fault the meals, and there is plenty to choose from, and the owners told us, of great local places to visit, as we chatted to them in the evening's.

We ventured to Barmouth,a wonderful beach and very clean for families if your thinking of visiting

The location of the hotel was perfect for us as we did lots of touring around,but there was nothing greater than to come back to a welcoming hotel of an evening and just sit and relax, we found the staff so friendly and helpful, to our every need.

I will be visiting again in the very near future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tread-light
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed here in September 2009 after climbing Cader Idris during the day. When arriving at the hotel the owner was friendly and welcoming. The room (even though it was one of the cheaper ones - Aran) was lovely with a very comfy bed and very good facilities for the overall price. My boyfriend had proposed on our walk and all the staff went out of their way to congratulate us. We ate in the bar/restaurant that evening as we both wanted to drink and the food was excellent, however it was slightly on the pricey side (though due to the cheapness of the room it seemed fair enough to pay a little bit more). Breakfast in the morning was very good.

I would defiantely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the area as £70 for 2 people including breakfast was a very reasonable price for the quality of the room and hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hazyjen1
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed here with my new husband on the first night of our honeymoon until our cottage nearby was ready, so only 1 night. On arrival the hotel looked closed. No doors or windows open, and I honestly thought the place was shut. We rang the bell and after a time a man came and let us in and said he hoped we a booking. We said yes, and he showed us to our room. He told us our room key also operated the front door (a Yale lock), so I wondered to my husband if all the room keys opened the same lock on the front door, would all the keys open all the rooms? I didn't really think that was great security. The room was very large, and the bed comfortable with a lovely view of the hillside opposite. The bathroom was quite big also, with a seperate shower and bath. The owners were friendly enough but I found the way the man paced up and down the bar whilst we were eating somewhat uncomfortable.
Although some of the rooms were ok, I found mostly the hotel to be very tired, and worn out, and nothing that a lick of paint and a new carpet wouldn't fix. The food was mediocre, and I never like to hear the sound of a microwave pinging from the kitchen of somewhere I am eating, which is frequently what I heard. A different room for breakfast in the morning, which was fine apart from the big stack of tables and chairs in the corner. Breakfast itself was good. All in all, I was somewhat disappointed after having read different reviews.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed at the Buckley Pines for a weekend trip with a larger group of friends after being recomended to it by our Welsh host for the trip. Some of us stayed in the hotel while the rest camped down the road. Excellent room - comfortable beds, hugely spacious and clean bathroom, tea and coffee facilities too. Breakfast was spot on, all nicely done.

Paid half the room by card over the 'phone as a deposit, other half settled on departure. All seemed well.

However, shortly after returning home received a letter detailing my card had been charged a substantial amount for damages relating to soiled linen. This smacks of incredibly poor etiquette for several reasons. Primarily, there was no marks whatsoever left on any of the linen. Not only this, but the amount charged was extortionate even if the entire set of sheets and towls had been replaced. Add to that the fact the hotel did not state anywhere that credit card details are retained for future stings and it all seems very underhand.

As a result, I'd not recomend this hotel to anyone on point of principal. If you do stay there, PAY CASH, and pay the deposit by cheque.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank DisgustedMcdroitwich
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Buckley Pines for a weekend break on our wedding anniversary. Having travelled quite a bit with work, I can honestly say this is the best small hotel I have ever stayed in. We stayed in a very comfortable room with an enormous bathroom and spectacular views. We only ate breakfast in the hotel, but in keeping with the rest of our stay, it was delicious.

To top it all, the owners Keith and Gay were genuinely friendly. From showing us the best places to walk, to making sure we had water to take with us, to arranging fresh flowers for our room, they just couldn't be more helpful.

I had grown used to soulless hotels with indifferent staff, but Buckley Pines is what a small country hotel should be like. Stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TripMember05062015
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Stayed for 3 days at this hotel and found it to be a very friendly comfortable place to stay.We stayed in the Sir Edmund Buckley room which a terrific view of the mountains.The room was very well furnished with the biggest Bathroom we have ever had.The owners were very friendly and we used to have a drink in the bar with them in the evening.

Stayed: August 2008
#3 of 5 in Dinas Mawddwy
Ty Derw Country House B&B
Ty Derw Country House B&B
#1 of 5 in Dinas Mawddwy

Been to Buckley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!